Trying to lose 100 lbs and venting

Options
2»

Replies

• lynnw24
    lynnw24 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone. I lost about 40 pounds and still have 150 to go! I feel so defeated sometimes and just want to give up! I haven't lost anything in 2 weeks and it's from not eating properly. I know it takes time and I know I can do it! Heck I lost about 127 pounds in 13 months before but had a trauma and just gave up and put it all back on and then some! Please feel free to add me if you would like. I'm on here everyday and log my food, good and bad. Let's do this!!

Anyone can add me too!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Has your doctor said how long he expects you to eat at 1000 calories? Has there been any talk about what happens after that? Any mention of what exercises are feasible, given your medical condition?

It sounds like you are one of the rare candidates for extreme measures, but there are things you can do to make it more bearable. Exercise, make fruits and grains rare additions to your diet so that they don't set off cravings, fill up on veggies and fat free dairy (dairy is pretty much the only food where fat free does not mean excess sugar). If you can make room once a day for fats like nuts or oils, they will help you feel better and fuller.

Lean on you MFP friends. Build that list all over the world and use them like AA sponsors: hey I want to eat something that doesn't fit my goals today, what should I do?
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Has your doctor said how long he expects you to eat at 1000 calories? Has there been any talk about what happens after that? Any mention of what exercises are feasible, given your medical condition?

It sounds like you are one of the rare candidates for extreme measures, but there are things you can do to make it more bearable. Exercise, make fruits and grains rare additions to your diet so that they don't set off cravings, fill up on veggies and fat free dairy (dairy is pretty much the only food where fat free does not mean excess sugar). If you can make room once a day for fats like nuts or oils, they will help you feel better and fuller.

Lean on you MFP friends. Build that list all over the world and use them like AA sponsors: hey I want to eat something that doesn't fit my goals today, what should I do?
    Low fat and fat free dairy will raise blood glucose. The fat in dairy helps to level blood glucose. I would eliminate dairy completely until you know if dairy aggravates your autoimmune disease (lupus).
  • kykimball
    kykimball Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have been where you are! It is not easy! What has worked for me is I had to look at it as a life style not a diet! If it were a diet I fail misserably! I was also amazed at how many calories I was actually consuming in a day! I do not eat a lot of food but for me the problem was what I was eating. Also set small goals. Once you reach that small goal set another and so on. Then you will eventually reach your ultimate goal! If you don't set small goals and only look at that large goal it is so much easier to give up! You can do this! Hang in there and if you would like to add me as a friend I will be happy to encourage you!
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    The best food plan for losing weight is the one that you will stay. 1000 calories is just not enough for you! Even when I don't exercise (rare) 1200 is too little. You can lose and at the same time be able to stick to your food plan if you are not starving! Also I don't need to binge on cheesecake (and chocolate) when I'm full and satisfied.
  • mpost12590
    mpost12590 Posts: 143 Member
    Options

they want me to stay like this for a year then up me to 1800 diet. I can work out a little I try to do 20 to 30 mins a day. i try to post everyday and I log everything I can.
  • mpost12590
    Options
    I do feel your pain. I am always hungry. I over eat just to fill a void. I could eat all day long everyday....but I have seen what it does to my body, and I dont like those changes. I am uncomfortable, tired, gotten lazy and feel ugly. I have set myself up to lose a certian amount per month...like 7 lbs.....it's doable and easier than looking at the total amount I have to lose. I exercise AND eat right to achieve my goal. ANother thing that has helped me to feel fuller everyday....I drink my water. 8 oz every hour. To make it go down easier I add frozen berries. Its very yummy. I also eat every two hours. I bring carrots, pears, apples, oranges to work so I am snacking on those all day. It helps to make me feel fuller. With these small changes I have managed to lose 13 lbs since January. I still have a long way to go....but each day I am feeling better about my progress. Also, eventually your eating patterns change.....you dont CRAVE bad food anymore. Good luck to you....and DON'T GIVE UP! Friend me if youd like!

I have been planning on the diet the doctors put me on for two months. I have3 been working for two months on the deep rooted reason for my eating. I try to eat as much veggies as I can. I try to work out 20 to 30 mins a day for now. I know its the beginning and the changes are not easy. I do know however I need to make this work.
  • mpost12590
    Options
    Would you be willing to share your food diary? Maybe your not eating enough and then feel the need to over eat. It is difficult to overcome food issues you may have had for years. When I was a kid, we got one meal a day! So at dinner, I would eat and eat until I could not put another bite in my mouth - afterall, I wasn't eating again until the following night. Now, as an adult, I have trouble understanding when I am full. It has taken me years and I still struggle on a daily basis. I am at a healthy weight and will stay this way, but it has been a difficult journey.

Keep in mind that this is a life style change and not a diet. Once you lose the weight you can NEVER go back to your old habits or you will be right back at your original weight. I think you should set small goals and not look at the large picture. Maybe set a goal of 10 lbs a month. That is only 2.5 pounds a week. THAT is obtainable!!! Good luck!

I am making my diary public so that you may see I am eating. I to as a child wasn't fed much so now as an adult i over eat. I think you should friend me :)
  • thelaurameister
    thelaurameister Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    1,000 calories a day? I don't want to discredit your doctor because I am far from a medical professional, but that number sounds completely bonkers to me. ANYONE (whether you weigh 120lbs or 500lbs) will feel hungry with only 1,000 calories a day. I have been there. Prior to finding MFP and gaining a general knowledge of nutrition, I always thought "eat less, lose more", but that's not always true. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're ALWAYS hungry, do you have an issue with binge eating at night? I only ask because I constantly battled binge eating at night....I would do fine on extremely restricted diets during the day while I was preoccupied with work or school, but the second I got home I would feel so ravenous that I would eat until I was sick. I literally couldn't sleep when feeling so hungry, so I'd get frustrated and raid the fridge. What do you think is more damaging: eating decently sized, filling, healthy meals consistently throughout the day, or eating at an unsatisfying level all day then eating a bunch of (usually unhealthy) foods out of desperation right before bed? One thing I think you should keep in mind is that the gastric bypass diet is constructed for just that: gastric bypass patients. Their stomachs are so tiny that they physically can't eat large quantities without getting sick. I have a friend whose cousin had the surgery and she eats like a bird. Not because she lost her love for food or doesn't WANT to eat more, she just physically can't and overeating after the surgery can actually be fairly dangerous. I strongly suggest a second opinion, or that's what I would do if I were in your shoes, at least. The types of food you eat contributes a lot to your hunger level. I have greatly reduced my carb intake, cut out breads and processed sugars, and increased my protein intake and I find that I'm super satisfied all day. It has even got to the point where I'm not hungry at lunch time/dinner time sometimes, which is something I never in a million years thought would happen. I used to have an addiction to food and I still do, but I've learned to manage it. I'm not perfect with my diet. I avoid process sugars (I'll still eat fruit sugar, though), as best I can, but I'm not an angel about it. I had a Reese's egg a few nights ago and it was absolutely amazing, but instead of sitting down and having 5 of them like I used to, I only needed one and didn't feel the need for another. The best part? Even with that Reese's egg, I was still within my calories. I eat 1680-1800 calories a day. I kid you not, I had a 14oz steak last night for dinner. I got on the scale this morning and lost a pound since just yesterday. Not to be gross, but this was before I even pooped for the day, which means that those 14oz of steak (which is only 2oz shy of a pound) was still in my system, so the pound I had lost was most likely fat and/or water weight bloat. I think there's something to be said for that!

Persistence truly is key to weight loss, and it has taken me YEARS to get that. I would go on a diet for a month or so, lose some weight, and reward myself with food. I'd weigh the next day and notice I didn't gain weight back and think "oh ok, I can eat like this and manage my weight" then end up right back where I started. These days, I still eat treats and drink alcohol and go out with friends, but I make sure it's within my calories for the day. I have days off for special occasions, but I don't let those days off turn into weeks off like it used to. I have confidence that I can have those treats and enjoy special occasions but still reach my goal. I have confidence that I can maintain what I am doing for a lifetime. You don't have to be hungry all the time to lose weight...Actually, you shouldn't...That's so horrible for your psyche.

Best of luck to you, you can do this you just have to believe you can and not let lack of willpower get the best of you. It is easier said than done, I know. But here's some tips that help me (and I'm sure many others) and TON: Drink plenty of water, the body often mistakes thirst for hunger. It takes 21 days to form a habit...Sticking to counting your calories for just 21 days will make it a habit. You'll start seeing results and it will motivate you to start doing other things that will make the weight come off even faster (such as exercise). Keep healthy versions of your favorite snacks around. I'm a sucker for ice cream, I eat ice cream pretty much every night, but I have switched to a low-carb version that only has 1 gram of sugar. I make sure to measure the amount I eat so I can accurately log it. It's small things like that that will make the difference because you still get to satisfy those cravings and not drive yourself crazy, but it is in a healthier way.