RUNNERS - Run alone or with a group?

Options
When I run, 99% percent of the time I do it alone. Mainly because I simply can't talk and run at the same time. Also, I breathe loud! LOL I only feel comfortable running with my brother or my husband, because we can have a comfortable silence AND we usually had our iPod/music on. And when I've done it with a group of good friends (about 4 of us), we're all staggered out because everyone runs at their own place.

Just curious - do you run alone or with a group of people?

Replies

• HonusWagner
    HonusWagner Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I pretty much always run alone. My girlfriend and I do go for REALLY long walks together every weekend, though. She also runs--maybe at some point we'll do that together as well. :)
  • PrettyandPolished
    PrettyandPolished Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm very focused when I run and I use that time to think a lot. I don't think I'd enjoy running with someone else.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Most of the time alone. I am a member of a running group, but after a few miles, we get staggered out and I am alone anyway. There are 2 friends that I run with on occasion and we actually stay together and chat the whole time
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I currently do about half and half. I run with a group or running buddy 3 times a week, and the other 2-3 runs are solo. I like the "me" time of a solo run, but I also find chatting helps make the time go quicker. Makes me go quicker, too, when I run with a couple of people who are faster than I am.
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I like running alone. I work retail all day, so running gives me that time to clear my head and rejuvenate. Also this way when i have time I just go. I'm running a number of 1/2 marathons a year, so that definitely gives me the group feeling.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm a loner. Mostly because my hubby doesn't run (although he used to, can't get him back into it), and I don't have any close friends who do either. Which is fine - it's kind of nice to be able to get out there on my own and to go whenever I'm ready.

I have thought about joining a group as a couple of the local running stores have monthly or weekly runs, but they're always in the evening right about family dinner time, so it doesn't work for me to go at this point.

So I guess my only group runs are when I do the occasional race. :smile:
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I always run alone..I have ran with other people before and enjoyed it, but it felt like sharing a car journey with someone when you'd rather be on your own.

I entertained the idea of joining a local running club, but figured that they were snobby and elitist when they say on their website that " beginners are very welcome as long as they can run for an hour without stopping, as we don't wait on our runs for people to catch up"....

I can run like that but the sort of people who have that attitude are the last people on earth i would want to run with.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I enjoy running alone because I consider it my 'me' time (I turn on my iPod and ignore the world), but I do like to run with a buddy as well especially when training for races. Except for races, I haven't run with a group since high school, although I've contemplated joining the Running Room.
  • RunReadEat
    RunReadEat Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Alone. I like the solitude and opportunity to spend time lost in my own mind. Does that make me anti-social?
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I usually run alone with the occasional run with my husband.

I wouldn't want to run as part of a group because if the majority of the people running were slow runners it would frustrate me because I would feel like I had to stay with them. Also I'm in no mood or shape to chit chat when I'm running and that would annoy me.
  • lanzaroteblue
    lanzaroteblue Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I used to run on my own but koined a running club which I run with once a week. They are all shapes and sizes and abilities and everyone is really friendly. So in reply - both :-)
    Nicola xxx
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I like running alone. I go my speed, listen to my music, think, take in the scenery, relax my mind. I find when I run with other people I'm either trying to keep up or slowing down for them and feel like you need to be somewhat engaged with them. I cycle alone too. I don't know how people can ride in those huge packs.
  • Happylady123
    Happylady123 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I run alone. That gives me time to think and destress. I can also think more about my pace, my form, and my stride if I am not trying to "accomodate" someone else. Running is definately a mental experience for me as I do a lot of thinking during my run. I like to listen to my ipod, too. I would worry that it would be rude to do that when someone else was along. What would be the point? I also MUST run at my own pace. Even if I try to run slower to match someone else's pace it seems to make me more tired!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    99% of the time i run alone. occasionally i'll run with friends but that's rare. prefer to run alone - it's me time.
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I have been running for three years and have always run alone - except for during the four races I entered in 2012 - but just recently started going to a running club, I am not sure how I feel about it yet....it seems to make the runs go faster/easier, the last few weeks when someone told me we'd done 5 miles I was surprised BUT they are a pretty slow group and being a newbie I don't really know how to go faster/if I am 'allowed' to go faster etc so I feel like it's holding me back a little rather than improving.

I need to decide if I am going to get better or if I am just going for the social aspect of it I guess.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    i run only alone, i like to gather my thoughts,,
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Alone. Every now and then a friend will join me on my long runs which helps the time fly, but on my 3-7 milers I have to be alone. It's my "me" time :)
  • perfectionisntme
    perfectionisntme Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Alone. It's my "me" time
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I like running alone. I love not having any outside distractions. My wife, however, likes to run together. So I usually run with my wife :)
  • tammymusic1
    tammymusic1 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Alone I like my time. I like to keep my own pace and can't talk when I run anyway.