How are people burning such high calories

Options

Replies

7631282 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I often wondered the same thing, and realized that once you exercise and enter your exercise, that if you go back and exercise again, that it will just continue to add it on throughout the day. Some people are exercising two/three times a day.
  • bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    irrelevant. who cares?

questions you should be asking yourself are things like "what sort of exercise regimen can I commit to doing regularly?", "how should i structure my diet in a way that will keep me satiated?", "what are my fitness goals?"

^^^^^^^^ This!! We need to stop looking for reasons to bring down our efforts by finding faults with every body elses.
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Maybe we're just VERY overweight and our heart works harder? I burn quite a bit.
  • merapp9
    merapp9 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I often wonder the same thing...I know weight and intensity have to do with calories burned...I log in a high calorie burn but mine is from 2 hours + at the gym (1000-1400) about 5 days a week. Keep doing what your doing...every once and a while really push yourself if you can...good luck!
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I asked this exact question yesterday pretty much haha.
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    They're not staying within heart rate recommendations if they are actually burning that. Hell, my heart rate generally sits around 190+ when I am going hard.

This ^^^
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Probably over estimating. I burn about 300 calories in 35 minutes on the elipitical and I'm drenched in sweat when I'm done.
  • obeseto13point1
    obeseto13point1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I use an HRM and I never would burn 1,000 calories in an hour! I think I burned like 1500 doing my half marathon last year, but that was in two hours and forty some minutes! :)
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    irrelevant. who cares?

questions you should be asking yourself are things like "what sort of exercise regimen can I commit to doing regularly?", "how should i structure my diet in a way that will keep me satiated?", "what are my fitness goals?"

^^^^^^^^ This!! We need to stop looking for reasons to bring down our efforts by finding faults with every body elses.

How is it irrelevant, and the OP obviously cares. Maybe she wants to know how she can burn 1000+ calories too
  • michwinger
    michwinger Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It has a lot to do with weight. I weigh quite a bit more than my sister and when her and I workout together I burn sometimes twice as much as she does.
  • fancydad
    fancydad Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use an Octane elliptical trainer and work out at lvl 20 resistance, and that gives me about 900 cals an hour. It doesn't matter to me how much it actually is because i never count my workout cals. I just use my daily allotment.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    They're not staying within heart rate recommendations if they are actually burning that. Hell, my heart rate generally sits around 190+ when I am going hard.

^^^This...

They can recommend away, if I still feel I can go and go hard I am going to!
  • obeseto13point1
    obeseto13point1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I do regularly burn over 1,000 in a day, but that is usually running 5 miles plus an hour long weight lifting class.
  • jess50906
    Options
    Try using the elliptical or stair stepper if your able to. On average, according to the machine, you can usually burn about 10 calories per minute.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    They likely either weigh more or are overestimating. Even while running the best I can do is about 450-475 calories per hour, according to my heart rate monitor.

According to my HRM I have been able to hit 650 on a really good run within an hour.
  • mum212
    mum212 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    take just dance as an example you get the just sweat version on 2, 3 and 4.
    jd4 is different and cheats you out of calories as the counter stops when the dancer on screen stops dancing.
    just dance 3 just sweat well i can get up to 4500 in sweat points in about 70mins non stop shuffle, which is then devided by 4.2 as it says on the internet and that is about 1071 calories burned in 1hr 10mins, zumba i did today and did 45 mins which burned 410 calories also i weigh 150lbs.
    i do go all out with effort tho its not slow and hardly moving..... i move and i give it my all, i even work my abs and wear 1lb weights on my ankles and arms to help tone
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I've heard a general rule of thumb is 100 calories for 10 minutes of moderate exercise. Seems to fit your burn there OP.

I do an hour of kickboxing.. and high energy, high intensity.. i know it burns more. I also do Zumba.. the intensity depends on the teacher.. but I'd wager at least 600 in any class and I usually make it more intense. My step step would be higher then Zumba.. probably up there with kickboxing.. I sweat my butt off in all of them. I have no idea how many calories weight lifting burns and am guilty of just using MFP's numbers on that one. when I do the treadmill it seems to average out to about that 100 calories for 10 minutes, no matter which machine I am one..give or take a few. I know my classes get my heart rate up over reccommended.. but since I have a slow heart rate, it's super easy to go over.. to be in my range is quite diffiuclt. to maintain and as soon as I stop it drops.. Anyway.. I'm looking for cardiovascular workouts usually so I'm happy with the higher rate.

I did look up the average calories for my classes using google, and adjusted them on here. I don't wanna spend the 100 bucks on the HRM.

Also heavier people will burn more calories then thinner ones. Unfair if you ask me! but good for them! LOL
  • raisingemilyjune
    Options
    I can burn around 800-1000 in about an hour and a half to two hours, usually closer to the 800 though on the odd occasion where I am running intervals + elliptical + 60 minutes of hard biking + a 2000M row I can get it up to about 1000 burned.

However, I am also 6'0" and 215lbs, I update the weight in my HRM every 5lbs to make sure it's as accurate as possible as well.
  • Christizzzle
    Christizzzle Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I suspect they are using the inflated numbers given by MFP.

^^^ this!!
  • PurpleLadyZ
    PurpleLadyZ Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    a HRM is just a tool. the only true way to measure your max is for you to go out and run 400 meters as hard as you can. take your hr, then run it again. if your heart rate goes up the 2nd lap, guess what? you haven't hit your max. run the 400 meters again, take your hr again - when the measurements are consistent, that will be your max - only then can you calculate the upper and lower ranges for fat burning. and your max hr will be different for each cardio exercise you do - you could have a lower max for swimming and biking but a higher max when running. regarding high caloric burns - could be based on a number of factors - the type of workout, how much a person weighs, etc. as an example - I weigh 123 and 90 min of hot yoga...according to my hrm...has a caloric burn of 800+. hope this helps.