I NEED TO QUIT SMOKING

Options
13»

Replies

• blooomers
    blooomers Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I had tried quitting several times as well using the methods that you listed.
    What finally worked for me, and I believe the only thing that will ever truly work.... decide that you WANT to quit, and then just DO IT!

To me, trying to quit smoking using patches, gum, etc. is like trying to lose weight using pills, 48 hour drinks etc.

i agree 100%!!!
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I am in the process of quitting, 2 1/2 weeks in, and I am using the patch. It is the only thing that has worked for me. This is the fourth time I have quit smoking in 24 years of the nasty habit. I have used Chantix, it made me crazy, but my husband used it and it worked amazingly for him. The trick is to just try it. It will either work or it won't. Then move on to another product. That is what I have done in the past. Like the campaign says, "Don't quit quitting!" If you need a quit buddy, and need to rant, please feel free to friend me. I know how difficult the process can be. I wish you the best of luck, and you will feel better in the end :O)

Hi there, I am on my 4th time too. This time around I have been quit for 15 months.

OP,
    I call myself a cig-a-holic. I always want a cig. If you are like me, figuring that out is a important step. I have smokers around me so the constant reminders stink. But I am committed to staying cig free and it is a choice I make daily.

I will say that I cut back first. I was a "closet smoker" meaning I ONLY smoked at home, never in public or in the car. Then I would go down to 3 a day then one a day then go cold turkey when I was ready.

Hang in there!

My dh has quit before on Wellbutrin but he is back smoking.
  • Kelly50054
    Options
    First of all, you should research it before taking it. That is just taking control of yourself and knowing if there is something in it that could do more harm than good. Dr's do not know everything either. It is our responsibility to find the real truth.
    I used Chantix and honestly I would not recommend it to anyone. It tore my stomach up and made my tounge feel very thick. I only stayed on it for a very short time, for these reasons.
    A couple weeks after going off of it, I just one morning woke up and had no desire for any more cigarettes.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    And here's the miserable part.
    Your hunger will BURN for a month after that first week. Just BURN!

I must respectfully disagree with this statement, and it's statements like this that can set up a self-fulfilling prophecy. I'm on day 15, and I was somewhat hungrier for the first few days (hungry may not even be the right word - during the nicotine withdrawal stage it may be more of a nervous need to fill the void), but my appetite went back to normal soon after. I made a serious commitment to regular exercise, which may help, but again, everyone is different, and what was true for you may not be true for another, so why set up negative expectations for them?
    It's different for all, but he wanted actual experience - not opinions.
    I believe in prepping for the worse, and if the worse doesn't come, all the better.

And congratulations to you for quitting!
    No matter what, it's never easy; if it was nobody would still smoke after the teenage "coolness" wears off.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

I must respectfully disagree with this statement, and it's statements like this that can set up a self-fulfilling prophecy. I'm on day 15, and I was somewhat hungrier for the first few days (hungry may not even be the right word - during the nicotine withdrawal stage it may be more of a nervous need to fill the void), but my appetite went back to normal soon after. I made a serious commitment to regular exercise, which may help, but again, everyone is different, and what was true for you may not be true for another, so why set up negative expectations for them?
    I believe in prepping for the worse, and if the worse doesn't come, all the better.

No matter what, it's never easy; if it was nobody would still smoke after the teenage "coolness" wears off.

WOW, LMAO, ask my dr, most epople gain 20 lbs when they stop smoking! My appetite was insane, I could not stop eating. All I wanted to do was get through not smoking and knew that I could lose the weight later.

I discovered that if I took 2 bee pollen in the morning before breakfast and 2 before lunch, I would not be so hungry that I would want to chew my arm off.

So as I agree that all people are different, MOST people expereince weight gain(and the reason some people give for not wanting to quit just yet) and if someone is not ready for that, it can be very frustrating, so kudos for bring it up.
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    My two cents on the weight gain subject: I DID gain about 10 pounds (thus the reason I found MFP). However, the fact is QUITTING SMOKING DOES NOT CAUSE WEIGHT GAIN -- OVEREATING DOES. I am guilty of bad choices, too. Now I am doing something good for myself by being here. And, honestly, I'll struggle to lose the 10 pounds -- it's still a lot better than than nasty habit I kicked and even with 10 extra pounds, I am alot healthier since I quit. So, don't let the "threat of weight gain" keep you from quitting smoking. :smile:
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    I agree that many people DO gain weight when they quit, but that doesn't mean that they have to... You have a choice as to how difficult or easy you make quitting smoking, just like anything else in life. If you expect to want to pig out for months, you probably will. If you expect it to be hard and miserable, it will be. If you expect that it's going to be a very positive experience, you take steps to keep your blood sugar stable, and deal with the psychological cravings by developing new healthy habits like hitting the gym to deal with stress, taking walks on your breaks, drinking tons of water, snacking on fresh fruits and veggies, you'll feel really good really quickly (note that this applies after the first few days of nicotine withdrawal, which only lasts 72 hours if you go cold turkey but it is pretty miserable). But I agree with joakool - smoking is much more damaging to your health than gaining a few pounds, and you can deal with that later, so don't let the fear of that stop you. If you need to give yourself permission to go crazy for weeks or months, by all means do that and get off the cigarettes :-)

BTW, I did read somewhere that smoking actually burns about 250 calories a day (increased heart rate), so quitting by itself does mess with your metabolism - but a good brisk walk will burn that off for most people :-)
  • TammyLML
    TammyLML Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I agree that many people DO gain weight when they quit, but that doesn't mean that they have to... You have a choice as to how difficult or easy you make quitting smoking, just like anything else in life. If you expect to want to pig out for months, you probably will. If you expect it to be hard and miserable, it will be. If you expect that it's going to be a very positive experience, you take steps to keep your blood sugar stable, and deal with the psychological cravings by developing new healthy habits like hitting the gym to deal with stress, taking walks on your breaks, drinking tons of water, snacking on fresh fruits and veggies, you'll feel really good really quickly (note that this applies after the first few days of nicotine withdrawal, which only lasts 72 hours if you go cold turkey but it is pretty miserable). But I agree with joakool - smoking is much more damaging to your health than gaining a few pounds, and you can deal with that later, so don't let the fear of that stop you. If you need to give yourself permission to go crazy for weeks or months, by all means do that and get off the cigarettes :-)

BTW, I did read somewhere that smoking actually burns about 250 calories a day (increased heart rate), so quitting by itself does mess with your metabolism - but a good brisk walk will burn that off for most people :-)

Well said! Attitude can make a huge difference, with giving up smoking, dieting, whatever.

I've heard it said: "You can lose the weight you might gain. You can't regrow a lung."

502 days, 10 hours, 35 minutes and 44 seconds smoke free.
    20098 cigarettes not smoked.
    $4,849.32 and 5 months, 3 days, 12 hours of your life saved.
    My quit date: 9/11/2010 1:30:00 AM
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options

WOW, LMAO, ask my dr, most epople gain 20 lbs when they stop smoking! My appetite was insane, I could not stop eating. All I wanted to do was get through not smoking and knew that I could lose the weight later.

I discovered that if I took 2 bee pollen in the morning before breakfast and 2 before lunch, I would not be so hungry that I would want to chew my arm off.

So as I agree that all people are different, MOST people expereince weight gain(and the reason some people give for not wanting to quit just yet) and if someone is not ready for that, it can be very frustrating, so kudos for bring it up.
    I've never heard of anybody who didn't until the above person chimed in.

W.E.
    Again, prepare for the worse and be battle ready.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of anybody who didn't until the above person chimed in.

W.E.
    Again, prepare for the worse and be battle ready.

It's funny, the mind has a way of noticing only those things that support our preconceived notions and ignoring data to the contrary. I was inspired by a fellow MFPer who quit smoking last spring and has continued a pretty dramatic weight loss journey (she also started the very helpful quit smoking group). Then I read Allen Carr's book, and really became convinced that it was possible to quit without it being a miserable experience focused on deprivation. After I quit, I searched out different quit smoking forums and focused on those people who had positive experiences (and who maintained their weight and lost - they are out there - they may not be a majority, but there are enough of them) as my role models and inspirations, and followed the advice they gave, and ignored the advice coming from people who had a really tough time. Preparation is critical, but it's a matter of whether you prepare for and expect a negative outcome, or prepare to avoid it and have a positive outcome instead :-)
  • mxmama112
    mxmama112 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    UPDATE::::I did give Chantix a go. I took it for 2 weeks and then stopped taking it. That was December 26th, 2012 and I haven't smoked since. It took me a while to get to this point but I have absolutely no desire to smoke. At all. None. And when I'm around people who smoke, I can't believe how terrible they smell and that I used to smell that way. I just quit taking the Chantix because, honestly, I would forget to take it and be ok. So I just made the concious decision not to smoke. It's been 2 months and I feel amazing. I exercise more now and haven't gained any weight. I love not smoking!!!
  • gls1548
    gls1548 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 6 months ago... and it feels great once you do. I used the patch for two weeks. I bought the nicotine gum to help when i had some extreme cravings. Also what worked for me to was the disposable blue ecigs. They were a great help. whenever i had a urge and nothing else worked I used that it got me through, eventually i slowly stopped needing it and now i'm just a little over 6 months smoke free.

As long as you want to quit you'll be able to, just a matter of finding what works best for you :)
  • gls1548
    gls1548 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Well nevermnd my last post! Congrats on being able to quit... I felt the same way with smell.... i couldnt believe how awful people who just smoked smelled and that i use to smell that way. Even worse i felt bad for all the non smokers who told me i smelled bad back when i smoked and i thought they were just being negative pushing their views on me.... turns out they were right i did smell bad