How are people burning such high calories

Options

Replies

• blably
    blably Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Higher intensity workouts might be the answer. I know I burn a ridiculously higher number of calories doing an hour of kickboxing. I don't burn nearly that running for the same amount of time.

this
  • dreilingda
    dreilingda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to chime in with a bit of clarification here. Firstly, HRM's are not terribly accurate to begin with (especially the lower end models like Polar FT7). Models that take into account resting HR and VO2 max are a little better. Most folks do not accuratley know what their max HR is and/or not capable of testing it so that further dilutes the accuracy. Most importantly, HRM's are designed to estimate caloire burns for steady state aerobic activities like running, so using them for thinks like kick boxing, circuit training, or High intensity activities where many breaks are taken will not be as accurate. They are next to useless for weight lifting calorie numbers.

With all that being said, let's take about the "fat-burning" zone in an over simplified explanation. At all times during training, your body is burning both fat and carbs for energy. Your training instenisty will determine the mix being used. What the HR monitor fat burning zone is trying to tell you is the point at which your body begins to go into oxygen debt because you are excersing harder than your current fitness is capable of keeping up with. If all you care about is calorie burns, then training at this higher intsensity for short intervals is fine. Note of warning; if you don't take sufficient breaks and regularly workout at this high threshold without recovering, you are risking metabolic damage and overtraining. However, if you care about improving your overall aerboic fitness, you need to establish your base by doing a lot of easier training at an intensity at which you could still carry on a conversation.
  • NicLyn
    NicLyn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I wear a HRM, but more use it as a goal. I naturally have a higher pulse than most people, so I don't "trust" that I am actually burning that many calories...but I aim to get to 700 cal a workout, so that I'm consistent. But 700 is usually 45-60 mins HIIT.

Today it took my 1.5 hours to get to 1200, a 45 min personal training session and then 45 on the treadmill. My heart rate was between 150 and 190 for the whole time to get to that.

I don't use MFP's numbers, just enter your own workout and numbers.
  • dondimitri
    dondimitri Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    To all the people who are telling the OP that her question is “irrelevant”…

How can you say that? That is a perfectly legit question. She is obviously trying to learn something about her HRM, reasonable expectations for a calorie burn, etc.

Whatever happened to the idea that the only useless question is the one that was never asked?
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    However, if you care about improving your overall aerboic fitness, you need to establish your base by doing a lot of easier training at an intensity at which you could still carry on a conversation.
    ^^^This!

Not only is this type of training healthier, in the long term it will vastly increase your aerobic capacity which will in turn enable you to quickly burn large amounts of calories at a relatively low intensity level. It makes that whole permanent lifestyle change a whole lot easier to maintain.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I will throw in some of my data for variation based on weight and fitness level--two runs, 4 years apart:

February 2009--ran (had to walk some) 7.0 miles, burned 1216 calories. Weight: 192. HR: ave. 176, max 181

February 2013--ran 7.6 miles (no walking), burned 690 calories. Weight: 163. HR: ave. 143, max 157

So I went nearly 10% further a few days ago but burned 526 fewer calories than I did when I was heavier and in worse shape. That's not in an hour, but I think it's a good illustration of different calorie burn.

Unless you A) set your HRM with your actual VO2max and HR max at the start, and then adjusted your HRM settings to reflect your higher VO2 max after training increases, then you are not comparing apples to apples. Your initial calorie reading were an overestimate when you started and they are an underestimate now.
  • Sweetums71
    Sweetums71 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I agree, at my current weight I will burn a lot more calories doing simple things like walking than I will when I reach my goal. :smile:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Calories burned = body weight x intensity.

That's it.

Burning high calorie numbers is simple math---it just requires that someone have the right combination of weight and fitness.

220 lb person runs 6 miles in 1 hour = 1000 calories.

176 lb person runs 7.5 miles in 1 hour = 1000 calories

150 lb person: needs to run 9+ miles in 1 hour to burn 1000 calories.

Walking 4.0 mph: to burn 1000 calories in 1 hour you need to weigh ~ 500 lbs.
  • yhwhsesther
    yhwhsesther Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    for me i burn more but i have my activity set lower than normal for set up i have it as inactive and then i add everything i do. and yes my heart rate goes high and i am over 200 lbs so i seem to burn more with less time yet it is slowing down the less i weigh ... i just had 3 mini strokes so i will be more carefully...
  • dondimitri
    Options
    I usually burn less than 1 cal per minute during intense exercise, but I know I used to burn more than 1 cal per minute when I weighed more. Also, I don't let my HRM tell me how intensely I should be exercising. I use my common sense for that. Where are you getting your HR recommendations? My HR hits the 180s during high intensity intervals, and sits in the 160s during steady state cardio. Of course age, weight, gender, etc will affect what your HR "should" be.

You must mean 10 cal per minute during intense exercise don't you? You burn very approximately 1 cal/min just sitting there staring at the monitor and reading this forum.
  • dondimitri
    Options
    HIIT high intensity interval training is about the only thing that has proven to burn up to 1000 calories per hour. A lot of that comes from your lungs even after the exercise has been completed.

I disagree. There are common everyday activities that can burn more than 1000 cal/hour other than HIIT.

For a 200 lb male you don't have to jog all that fast to burn 1000 cal/hour: As already posted 6 to 7 mph would do it.

For a 200 lb male you don't have to ride all that fast to burn 1000 cal/hour: 20 mph would be more than fast enough.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    it's very unlikely they are burning 1000 calories per hour.

I can (and do) burn a 1,000 in an hour. Here's the trick be pretty heavy and pretty fast.

I'm ~ 180 lbs and burn ~ 130 per mile. 8 miles @ 7:30 pace = 1,000+ calories.

Just this morning I ran 7 miles @ 7:32 pace, so that was 900+ in 52 minutes (would have done an hour, but I got a late start and had to take the kids to school).
  • RogueViper101
    Options
    Tonight I burnt 1063 calories in 60 minutes rowing on water (recorded by my Polar FT7). To achieve this I put 110% effort in and as a result averaged 145 bpm and a max of 182.

Ok I'm quite heavy so burn more calories than the average man but its entirely possible.

Tracked GPS row workout - http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/RogueViper101/bjsuets5msk098kt
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where you got that but I'm pretty sure my Polar is a 7 (if not then 6) and it does indeed have settings for Vo2Max and resting HR.

Along, a "low end" brand would not be Pilar, the highest rater HRM's available and cost $150-$300. My irst HRM had almost no settings and cost a whopping $35 (also said I burned nearly twice what my polar reports).

Just wanted to chime in with a bit of clarification here. Firstly, HRM's are not terribly accurate to begin with (especially the lower end models like Polar FT7). Models that take into account resting HR and VO2 max are a little better. Most folks do not accuratley know what their max HR is and/or not capable of testing it so that further dilutes the accuracy. Most importantly, HRM's are designed to estimate caloire burns for steady state aerobic activities like running, so using them for thinks like kick boxing, circuit training, or High intensity activities where many breaks are taken will not be as accurate. They are next to useless for weight lifting calorie numbers.

With all that being said, let's take about the "fat-burning" zone in an over simplified explanation. At all times during training, your body is burning both fat and carbs for energy. Your training instenisty will determine the mix being used. What the HR monitor fat burning zone is trying to tell you is the point at which your body begins to go into oxygen debt because you are excersing harder than your current fitness is capable of keeping up with. If all you care about is calorie burns, then training at this higher intsensity for short intervals is fine. Note of warning; if you don't take sufficient breaks and regularly workout at this high threshold without recovering, you are risking metabolic damage and overtraining. However, if you care about improving your overall aerboic fitness, you need to establish your base by doing a lot of easier training at an intensity at which you could still carry on a conversation.
  • meaningful99
    Options
    They are probably much heavier than you. Heavier people burn more calories. Imagine doing your regular workout with an 80 lb. packpack on. Wouldn't you be working a lot harder?
  • Jess21684
    Jess21684 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    This! Agreed..
  • FUELERDUDE
    FUELERDUDE Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    With me, at 230lbs, I try to keep my heart rate in the 150-160 range for an hour, and I am a 36 year old male. doing an hour of cardio at this rate is right around 1,000 calories in an hour. As I loose weight, I will not burn as much in the same amount of time, at the same intensity.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    When I started back in August I would burn about 1200cals cycling to and from work, now 5stone lighter I'm lucky if I burn 600cals. That's about an hour
  • Richard269
    Options
    Well just got back from a walk with my HRM was out for 2 hours 15 min and used 1750 cal my Avg heart rate was 84 % and my Max heart rate was 97 %
  • MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options
    Well just got back from a walk with my HRM was out for 2 hours 15 min and used 1750 cal my Avg heart rate was 84 % and my Max heart rate was 97 %

wouldn't that be a run then?