Pregnancy 2010 - June

Options

Replies

• aerobicgirl
    aerobicgirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    ok so i have a 3 yr old and a almost 9 mth old. i am not TTC, but can't help it to wonder i just had my period 2 weeks ago, i had a very bad migraine and nausea on sunday and last night (tuesday night) i woke up to vomit. Honestly i don't really want another but if it happens ok. I am acutally in search of tying my tubes, but please tell me these are not signs. to scared to take a test. you would think i would know bc i have two already but i never vomited with them i did have very bad headaches.??
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Question- I know that I have to increase to 300 cals in the 1st tri. I was at 1200, so should I increase to 1600? I set it at 2000 cause I was not sure. How do I find out what I need to maintain? I looked through the site and don't see anything. I'm having a hard time hitting 2000 cals per day. Also, does anyone else restrict sodium? Dr. Oz's book ( You-pregnancy ) says 1500 milligrams total per day -800 for a main dish and 480 for a side. Do you know how hard that is?! OMG! Also, fewer than 4 grams of sugar per serving for main dish or dessert and 2 grams for a side. I can't find yogart that has less than 4. But over all it's a really good book. Just wondering if anyone else is following this. Thanks!

It's safest to check with your OB doc. My doc recommended I put my calories at "maintenance" which is 1800, but that's not safe for everyone. Low sodium will help with swelling, blood pressure low, etc so although it's hard its probably good idea to work on a lower sodium diet.
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    somehow it posted my last commend twice. haha sorry
  • mommydiva
    mommydiva Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi! My DH & I will be TTC starting in July (taking my last week of pills now - YAY!). I am also reading Dr. Oz's book You-Having a Baby, so I'm glad to see others are as well. I had a couple of questions:

1) With my last pregnancy (our son is 3 1/2), I ate well but I wasn't nearly as focused on eating well as I am now. What are some staples you include onthe grocery list?

2) Once I am pregnant, do I just manually add the 300 extra cals for MFP cal counter or is there a special pregnancy option? Or should I just change it to "maintain weight"?
  • paldal
    paldal Posts: 154
    Options
    Are people interested in me continuing to post healthiest foods during pregnancy? If so how often should I post them?

I think you should totally post them whenever you have time. They are so interesting to read. Does it have any pre preggo stuff? Or just after conception?
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    Are people interested in me continuing to post healthiest foods during pregnancy? If so how often should I post them?

I think you should totally post them whenever you have time. They are so interesting to read. Does it have any pre preggo stuff? Or just after conception?

I'll have to check, it doesn't have a pre-pregnancy section of foods, but it has some general nutrition information. he also has a book called "150 Healthiest Foods on Earth" that are for anytime before and after pregnancy. That book is awesome too! Highly recommend it.
  • shoppingqueen34
    shoppingqueen34 Posts: 226 Member
    Options

I'll have to check, it doesn't have a pre-pregnancy section of foods, but it has some general nutrition information. he also has a book called "150 Healthiest Foods on Earth" that are for anytime before and after pregnancy. That book is awesome too! Highly recommend it.

I loved the lists! Glad to see eating Avocado was good for second trimester. I love that stuff. I eat at Einstein Bagels all the time and they came out with a turkey bacon/avocado bagel thin - just love it!
  • yessie75
    yessie75 Posts: 152
    Options
    Hi everyone! I have been MIA for a while. There's 4 days of school left and the past few weeks has been filled with assessments and getting my room ready. I have to pack all the second grade materials, since I'll be teaching first grade next year. I can't wait for summer vacation. I'm 155 lbs. this week
  • Caliwaters25
    Options
    Okay its pregnancy week 8 for me and I have weighed this morning CW 164 lbs I haven't gained an ounce which is amazing. I am so exhausted everyday but other than that I don't really feel pregnant.

For the Zumba girls I have a question, I was taking belly dancing classes before and I don't know if I should go back to it. I loved the class it was really fun and made me break a sweat but it works the AB's is that good or bad?
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    Just took my week 24 picks and am SHOCKED at how big I am! I'm totally going to fall over by 9 months! I gained 4.5 lbs last week and after seeing those pics am a little scared to weigh myself in the morning. :-(
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    100 Healthiest Foods to Eat During Pregnancy

First Trimester

ANCHOVIES
    Sure, anchovies may not be your most desired food right now if your first trimester is full of bouts of nausea and mad dashes to the toilet to vomit. However, some of you may actually be craving anchovies! (Yes, cravings are common during the first trimester)

* Anchovies are a tasty, naturally salty snack. And they're full of protein that can help you feel full, a great strategy for avoiding feelings of nausea

* The fats in anchovies are extremely healthy for both you and your baby.

* Scientists ahve been discovering the amazing health benefits of good fats and the devastation that occurs when you don't eat enough of them, including the risk of heart disease and mood-related problems.

* Omega-3 fatty acids are found in anchovies which are vital to brain cells, and during this first trimester, your baby's brain is forming at an amazingly fast rate. It needs a lot of omega-3s to develop optimally.

* Choline is found in anchovies which is involved in controlling muscles, memory, and many other functions.

* good sources of calcium and iron.

WARNING: there's a lot of sodium in anchovies, which is great for satisfying those salty-food cravings, but be sure to reduce your sodium intake in other areas of your diet and drink enough water to compensate.

FOLATE MAY NOT BE ENOUGH
    folate's ability to prevent neural-tube defects such as spina bifida is well known. Now researches are discovering that choline may also play an important role in the proper formation of the neural tube in the fetus. In a case-control study involving more than 880 pregnant women, researches found that women who consumed higher amounts of choline had up to a 72% lower risk of a neural-rube defect in their babies. Eating choline-rich foods like anchovies or eggs can help you lower your risk.

JONNY'S TASTY TIPS
    Anchovies are a classic ingredient of Caesar salad, whcih is a great way to add some anchovies to your menu. They're deliciuos with feta cheese and kalamata olives on Greek salads. or try them in a Caesar variation with romaine lettuce, red onion, mandarin organces, yellow or orange bell peppers, and shredded Asiago or Swiss cheese. A simple dressing of extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar is all you need to make this salad irresistible.
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    100 healthiest Foods to Eat During Pregnancy

2nd Trimester

BASIL
    Basil is everybody's favorite herb. It's not just a delivious and indeispensable ingredient in Italian dishes and homemade salad dressings. It's packed with nutrients for your and your growing baby.

* Basil contains every major nutrient you need during your pregnancy. This anise-flavored herb is packed with iron, calcium, and folate, nutrients most women of child-brearing age don't consume enough of.

* Iron is vital for keeping your energy levels up, and anemia caused by low iron levels can appear in your second trimester (remember, your body's making all that new blood)

* We all know how important it is to consume a calcium-rich diet for strong bones and teeth, but ti's even more essential during pregnancy. Your baby has 300 bones to build and grow!

* Folate, a B vitamin best known for its ability to prevent neural-rube defects, is vital for many processes in your growing baby, inclduing cell growth and division.Basil offers about 20mcg per ounce.

* Fresh basil is also a good source of protein, vitamin E, riboflavin, and niacin, and it's a very good source of dietary fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin B6, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, copper, and manganese.

* Basil contains flavonoids which act as antioxidants, helpign keep your body free of damage caused by free radicals and freeing up your energy for baby-making tasks.

* KEEP IN MIND WE ARE TALKING ABOUT FRESH BASIL USED AS A CULINARY INGREDIENT AND NOT HOLY BASIL OR BASIL IN MEDICINAL AMOUNTS. BOTH OF WHICH ARE SOME CONCERN TO THE SAFETY DURING PREGNANCY.

BYE-BYE, BACTERIA
    Basil contains many volatile oils (estragole, linalool, cineole, eugenol, sabinene, myrcene, and limonene), and that's a good thing. Not only do they contribute to its spicy, complex flavor, but laboratory studies have shown that the volatile oils in basil can rsetric the growth of numerous bad bacteria.

JONNY'S TASTY TIPS
    Want to get more basil bang for your buck? Enjoy the fresh, spicy leaves in a caprese salad. It's best with flavorful, ripe tomatoes, fresh mozzarella or bocconcini, and fruity extra-virgin oilive oil. And it's not only yummy, its super-easy to put together and rich enough to make a satisfying lunch all by itself. Here's what you do: Line your salad plate with buttery lettuce leaves (like boston or bibb lettuce). Then creat a circle of alternating half-slices of tomatoe, mozzarella, and basil leaves, fanning them on top of each other. Drizzle olive oil (and balsamic vinegar if you like) over the salad, add a sprinkling of salk (you need that iodine), and enjoy!
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    Is anyone in the third trimester yet? Should I start posting those now?
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Just took my week 24 picks and am SHOCKED at how big I am! I'm totally going to fall over by 9 months! I gained 4.5 lbs last week and after seeing those pics am a little scared to weigh myself in the morning. :-(

Oh I love the new picture! It's fabulous Angela! You looks so great! And the smile on yur face is so happy! Enjoy it all!!!
  • tahmed
    tahmed Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Jalara - Thanks for the encouraging words on the May board. I am glad to know that it is normal to question if it is the right time. Its just I am so happy with where I am in life right now that I don't want to complicate it, make it rougher, etc....but I know that a baby will bring me joy too.

Angela - I love the new picture. You make such a cute momma-to-be.

Weigh In- Totally forgot yesterday was Wednesday, the darn holiday on Monday is throwing me off. Anyway, I am down 2.5 lbs this week! My biggest 1 week loss to date, and i hit the big 20:bigsmile:

Guess I should answer the question of the week. I am very excited to buy the car seat, stroller, and pack and play. It may seem weird, but about 2 years ago we were walking through Target and my husband said "wow, I love this pattern on this stroller. We will have to get one of these". Ever since, he has to stop and check to make sure they still have that pattern. It is just exciting to think my hubby cares about thoes things!!
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    I’m down 1 pound this week. I don’t know how because I was so sick I could hardly workout at all, but I’m not complaining. :smile:
  • shoppingqueen34
    Options
    Is anyone in the third trimester yet? Should I start posting those now?

Next week I will be :)
  • shoppingqueen34
    Options
    Okay its pregnancy week 8 for me and I have weighed this morning CW 164 lbs I haven't gained an ounce which is amazing. I am so exhausted everyday but other than that I don't really feel pregnant.

For the Zumba girls I have a question, I was taking belly dancing classes before and I don't know if I should go back to it. I loved the class it was really fun and made me break a sweat but it works the AB's is that good or bad?

Hi there - during Zumba when they do the stomach stuff, I just concentrate on my arms. It's good to still work your abs during pregnancy to keep them strong. I would do the class and see how you feel. If you feel good and work mostly your hips you should be just fine. My Doc said continue to do what you did before without any crazy jumps and all that.

Oh and I didn't really feel pregnant until week 17 - I know crazy, but that's when I started to get a belly. So it's normal how you are feeling!
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    Gained 0.7lbs this week
    prepregnancy weight: 162lbs
    Current weight: 174.2
    Pregnancy gain: 12.2lbs
  • paldal
    paldal Posts: 154
    Options
    Gained 0.7lbs this week
    prepregnancy weight: 162lbs
    Current weight: 174.2
    Pregnancy gain: 12.2lbs

you are doing so well with your pregnancy. And I love the new picture!