Neighbor smoking pot. What would you do?

Options

Replies

• Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    Tell him to man up and try some real drugs, get him hooked on H, and when he OD's the problem will solve ti self naturally. Win Win
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    No offense to you or your wife, but if a day care center opened up next door to me, I'd probably need some chemical help to get through the day too :laugh:

In all seriousness though, if you can't get anywhere with talking to the neighbors, contacting the licensing agent might be a good next step (to protect compliance). Depending on the situation and where you are, the police might not make a big deal out of it...or they could be medically licensed to smoke it.
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Normally I'd try to ignore them but if its coming into my house and affecting my life I'm calling the cops.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Also,

I just read the response above that mentioned the hose...

not a bad move :)
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Kids smoking pot 50 feet away from you is not creating an unsafe environment. If they were offering it to the children, breathing it in their faces, or talking about how "cool" pot is to them, that's a whole different story. But it's their yard-- they can do what they want, and you're the one that chose to run a business out of your home. That means dealing with the fact that your neighbors have every right to smoke things in the privacy of their own backyard.

However, if you're really that worried about the day care getting shut down, talk to the parents. Getting the police involved will scare off more parents than the pot will, I guarantee you on that one.
    50 yards away from where I park my car (front of the house. I didn't explain that well). 50 yards is 150 feet.
    The playground is in the back of the house with an adjoining fence. The boys are smoking about 5 feet from the fence which puts it anywhere between 10 and 20 feet from the playground.
    If it is strong enough for me to smell from 50 yards.....
  • fiveferrels
    fiveferrels Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    call the cops, I am sure mom is aware of the situation
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    the state could potentially shut her down because of the unsafe environment.

Unsafe environment lol
    Are you suggesting that having litle kids breathing in pot smoke is somehow safe?

So now they're breathing it in? Come off it.
    If you can smell it, then obviously you are breathing it in.
    That is about as basic science as it gets.

Just because you can smell the pot odor doesn't mean you're inhaling the cannabis smoke. The smoke dissipates almost immediately. That's basic science. Think about it-- smelling tobacco on someone's clothes, in their car, or in their home doesn't mean you're inhaling smoke... smh
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I would call the police.

If your wife was watching one of my children and I found out, I'd pull my kid.
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Tell them all, mother and kids one last time, if you ever smell pot outside your house that you are calling the cops immediately. You gave them plenty of warnings!!
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    He was probably calling your bluff. If he really didnt care I feel like he'd probably smoke it in the house. They smoke outside so his mom won't smell it when she gets home- at least that's my suspicion. I would bring it up with his mother- the problem is even if she does try to handle it, he may not listen. In that case- you should probably call the cops.

If he's 18 then would his mom get in trouble- he can be held liable as an adult.
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Oh, and if the kids are legally adults (you said over 18) there is no need to get "mommy" involved.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Stay out of it each to there own as long as it doesn't cross you're front door leave it but hey it's just advice !
    Well, technically, the pot smoke IS crossing into my back yard.
    This is where a legal business is run and is subject to spot inspections by both the state (infrequently) and the health department (sometime three times a month)
    I mean, if they were shooting up heroin, I could care less because it does not cross onto my property but the smoke does and, as a result, my wife could get her business shut down.

Your wife can't be held responsible for this, she's not causing the smell!
    Well, I wish you were right but, the state and, even more, the health inspectors see things differently.
    The health inspectors could care less about the "how" and "why" of the situation. All they care about is that there IS a situation.
    Our street floods pretty bad when we get a heavy rain and we had to actually present a plan on how to keep the kids from going into the flooded streets.
    Nevermind the fact that they would not be playing in the streets on any other day.
    And the high water is absolutly beyond our control but, they don't really care about that.

Yes, that's a risk assessment on how your wife will keep the kids safe when there's flooding...something she is bound to do to keep them safe. They wouldn't blame your wife for the flood....I hope you see what I'm saying.
  • Pink_Pandas
    Options
    I'd talk to the mom and explain that the pot smoking could cause your wife to lose her business.

I agree with this post -- if it weren't hurting business for your wife I would say just let it be because it really doesn't hurt anyone (more so than alcohol or cigarettes anyway). Most mothers don't want their children around inebriated individuals or around cigarette smoke so them not wanting pot smoke is pretty valid.

I will say that if the kids (teenagers?) are smoking in the yard and often then the mother probably already knows and does not care. If it were me in this kinda tough situation I would speak with the police about it and explain your situation, then most likely they can at least intimidate the guys enough for them to quit. If they continue after that then they're asshats and they get what they deserve.

Also, kudos for the patience. Their rudeness and attitude would have made me call the police right away. It seems like you're looking for a good solution rather than popping off right away. Good job. :)
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine the State would shut your wife down because of something the neighbor does. You cannot control your neighbor.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    No offense to you or your wife, but if a day care center opened up next door to me, I'd probably need some chemical help to get through the day too :laugh:

In all seriousness though, if you can't get anywhere with talking to the neighbors, contacting the licensing agent might be a good next step (to protect compliance). Depending on the situation and where you are, the police might not make a big deal out of it...or they could be medically licensed to smoke it.

If I'm correct I think even if you have a medical license you can only do it so many feet from schools and preschools. I could be wrong but I know for at least the state of NV I remember reading this.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I saw the title and was going to say, JOIN them... but I see now that is inappropriate. :blushing:

I would talk to the mom and explain you don't judge or care what they do so long as it doesn't jeopardize the daycare business. If they continue to be rude and obnoxious, you may have to try another method.

Can't you make an anonymous call to the cops?
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Kids smoking pot 50 feet away from you is not creating an unsafe environment. If they were offering it to the children, breathing it in their faces, or talking about how "cool" pot is to them, that's a whole different story. But it's their yard-- they can do what they want, and you're the one that chose to run a business out of your home. That means dealing with the fact that your neighbors have every right to smoke things in the privacy of their own backyard.

However, if you're really that worried about the day care getting shut down, talk to the parents. Getting the police involved will scare off more parents than the pot will, I guarantee you on that one.
    50 yards away from where I park my car (front of the house. I didn't explain that well). 50 yards is 150 feet.
    The playground is in the back of the house with an adjoining fence. The boys are smoking about 5 feet from the fence which puts it anywhere between 10 and 20 feet from the playground.
    If it is strong enough for me to smell from 50 yards.....

Okay, I'll admit I misread that part about the distance and I see now that you mentioned the fence in other comments. My apologies. However, second hand smoke has to be closer than that to be harmful. And it's outside, so it's not as if the kids can be "hotboxed". I still think it's an easy fix to tell the parents. If, for some reason, they don't care that their children are smoking pot, then turn to the law, but like I said-- if I saw cops outside my child's day care center, I'd find another place in a heartbeat.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    it's good to live in Colorado :smokin:

Amen, my friend
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

Unsafe environment lol
    Are you suggesting that having litle kids breathing in pot smoke is somehow safe?

If you can smell it, then obviously you are breathing it in.
    That is about as basic science as it gets.

Yeah, so basic you got it wrong.
  • literatelier
    literatelier Posts: 209 Member
    Options

Unsafe environment lol

...to smell something you must inhale molecules of the substance. So yes, if they can smell it, they are breathing it in. Whether or not it's unsafe, I have no idea.
This discussion has been closed.