Neighbor smoking pot. What would you do?

Options

Replies

• DispatcherLangmaid
    Options
    Talk to the MOM the Police can't do anything about it unless they catch them doing it and they are not going to stalk the house. If talking to the mom doesn't work they go to the police station both of you and ask to talk to an officer and see what they can do to help. If you document it ahead of time that there is a problem and you are not just an angry neighbor you may get further.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Boy, I wish I could have called the cops on my old neighbors who smoked cigarettes & the smell used to drift into my apartment...
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    For F@#KS sake call the cops...EVERY...SINGLE...TIME! Take it from someone who grew up with druggie/alcoholic parents; its better to end this not and with finality.

What the hell? I also grew up with "druggie/alcoholic parents" and if anything you should know calling the police gets you absolutely nowhere because they don't give a **** about that. Also this is about a couple of 18 year old kids, not adults/parents. So your statement is completely irrelevant anyway.
    Calling the police for a couple of kids smoking weed in their own garden is absolutely ridiculous. The advice I posted to you earlier in the thread WILL work. If you go to the Mum, that kid will continue to be difficult every time she isn't home. Go to him and speak to him like an adult and ask him if he is willing to come to an agreement with you that works for everyone.

For gods sake people it's a bit of marijuana. It's healthier for you than cigarette smoking to everyone banging on about how it'd be different if it was cigarettes, you are being idiots because inhaling second hand smoke from cigarettes is so much worse for your body than second hand smoke from a joint.

I love the prejudice that surrounds marijuana as it's labelled as a drug. What about cancer patients who use it for pain medication? I suppose we should go and call the police on them every time too?
  • Pink_Pandas
    Options
    When kids are outdoors, they're breathing in all kinds of things-- car exhaust, trash odors, allergens, decomposition, etc etc. Two or three teenagers smoking pot 10-15 feet away from kids is not going to damage their little lungs one bit. Everyone seems to forget that less than twenty years ago, smoking was still allowed inside restaurants, bowling alleys, and other places, and gasp shock, parents still brought their kids to those places!

From what I've read most people would say to mind their own business but are concerned about the wife's business. It's not easy to get a license for a day care, and its also not very easy to gain customers after that. I think they're more concerned about compromising what they've worked hard to achieve rather than the legality or what is good or bad about pot. Because it is illegal they can actually do something about it rather than just putting up with it.

If the teenagers would have just been a little more understanding, less rude, and just go to a different area or smoked inside then this probably wouldn't even be an issue. The owners of this day care are being pretty patient seeing how they've already asked a couple of times.
  • PreggoRocker
    Options
    Talk to the MOM the Police can't do anything about it unless they catch them doing it and they are not going to stalk the house.
    if that were true, no one would ever call 911 to report suspicious activity or actual crimes
    "hello, id like to report a drunk driver"
    "oh im sorry ma'am, we cant do anything about it because we didnt catch them doing it. have a nice day"
    or
    "hello, my boyfriend just punched me in the face and im bleeding"
    "unfortunately we cant send an officer out because there wasnt one there to witness the punch"

eta: yes i realize both situations are more serious than pot smoking, but its the basic idea you put out there.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    For F@#KS sake call the cops...EVERY...SINGLE...TIME! Take it from someone who grew up with druggie/alcoholic parents; its better to end this not and with finality.

What the hell? I also grew up with "druggie/alcoholic parents" and if anything you should know calling the police gets you absolutely nowhere because they don't give a **** about that. Also this is about a couple of 18 year old kids, not adults/parents. So your statement is completely irrelevant anyway.
    Calling the police for a couple of kids smoking weed in their own garden is absolutely ridiculous. The advice I posted to you earlier in the thread WILL work. If you go to the Mum, that kid will continue to be difficult every time she isn't home. Go to him and speak to him like an adult and ask him if he is willing to come to an agreement with you that works for everyone.

For gods sake people it's a bit of marijuana. It's healthier for you than cigarette smoking to everyone banging on about how it'd be different if it was cigarettes, you are being idiots because inhaling second hand smoke from cigarettes is so much worse for your body than second hand smoke from a joint.

I love the prejudice that surrounds marijuana as it's labelled as a drug. What about cancer patients who use it for pain medication? I suppose we should go and call the police on them every time too?

Point missed entirely.

It's about the impact on their business. It doesn't matter what the OP thinks or feels about dope, it's about his customers.

Should the op allow the business to go down the drain in the name of broad minded tolerance of an illegal activity?
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

I don't think you read the comments correctly. I was the one who asked if it would be as big of a deal if it were cigarettes because tobacco is not considered an illegal substance and therefore, the wife's business would not risk being shut down because of it. And actually, cannabis smoke is just as harmful because you are still inhaling carcinogens. As a former pot smoker myself I would love to jump on the "pot is better" bandwagon, but unless you use a vaporizer or use methods of ingestion (such as brownies), you're still damaging your lungs. However, I think the concept of second hand smoke is severely exaggerated. A couple people were contesting me on that point and that point only, and I was using the example that tobacco was once allowed in public areas where children would be.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    OMG... really? I would: just mind my own business. Or, at most, POLITELY mention to them that you can smell it and would rather not. (Cuz the war on drugs has worked so well..... at least for the criminals who make huge profits precisely because of the "illegal" status.)

While I don't personally enjoy the substance (but I do think it is a good option for people with certain health problems), I think there's much more to worry about from "legal", prescribed meds.... Such as all the people using sleeping pills and driving on the roads every day. I'd be more scared that my child will be killed in a car crash by one of those people, then harmed by a minute waft of smoke coming from the neighbour's backyard.

You'd mind your business until your business is gone because the state shut it down? Really?
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Stay out of it each to there own as long as it doesn't cross you're front door leave it but hey it's just advice !
    Well, technically, the pot smoke IS crossing into my back yard.
    This is where a legal business is run and is subject to spot inspections by both the state (infrequently) and the health department (sometime three times a month)
    I mean, if they were shooting up heroin, I could care less because it does not cross onto my property but the smoke does and, as a result, my wife could get her business shut down.

Your wife can't be held responsible for this, she's not causing the smell!

Even if she's not shut down by the state it could bother the parents enough to pull their children, in which case it would still affect her business.

Or the parents could pull the children themselves. I believe he did say that one parent threatened to do just that.

To the OP: Talk to the mother but let her know that if it doesn't stop that you WILL call the cops because it IS affecting your wife's business.

Regardless if the pot smoking is "legal" or not the kids showed a blatant disrespect for the OP's request to smoke the pot elsewhere.
  • Splinter24
    Splinter24 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you can smell it, then obviously you are breathing it in.That is about as basic science as it gets.
    yeah, so basic you got it wrong.

If they are smelling it, they're breathing it. Perhaps your point is that they cannot get high just because they smell it.

If breathing in the smell of a substance is so harmful, why are kids allowed to hug their cigarette-smoking relatives? Surely the stench is in their hair, their clothing, their car, and their home, so everyone who visits or gets near them is breathing it in!! No, they can't get a nicotine buzz but it still must be bad because they can smell it! Oh, the horror!!

Actually - this is classified as third-hand smoke and IS harmful to children.
  • RGv2
    Options
    What amuses me is imagining that in this situation, if pot was replaced with cigarettes, would it still be this big of a deal?

I wouldn't want my children in a day care where they were constantly breathing in second hand smoke, either. However, here pot is illegal and cigarettes are not, so calling the police wouldn't be a solution.

When kids are outdoors, they're breathing in all kinds of things-- car exhaust, trash odors, allergens, decomposition, etc etc. Two or three teenagers smoking pot 10-15 feet away from kids is not going to damage their little lungs one bit. Everyone seems to forget that less than twenty years ago, smoking was still allowed inside restaurants, bowling alleys, and other places, and gasp shock, parents still brought their kids to those places!

What if I just don't want my kids that close to drugs, whether it's damaging their lungs or not?
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

Point missed entirely.

It's about the impact on their business. It doesn't matter what the OP thinks or feels about dope, it's about his customers.

Should the op allow the business to go down the drain in the name of broad minded tolerance of an illegal activity?

^^ This. All the kid has to do is bring it indoors. I'll bet though that mom doesn't know and that's why he's on the fence line. The reality is that until they truly legalize it, the state can cause issues and, in any event, parents have already complained. If it were me though I'd work out a trade for the vaporizer.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options

I don't think you read the comments correctly. I was the one who asked if it would be as big of a deal if it were cigarettes because tobacco is not considered an illegal substance and therefore, the wife's business would not risk being shut down because of it. And actually, cannabis smoke is just as harmful because you are still inhaling carcinogens. As a former pot smoker myself I would love to jump on the "pot is better" bandwagon, but unless you use a vaporizer or use methods of ingestion (such as brownies), you're still damaging your lungs. However, I think the concept of second hand smoke is severely exaggerated. A couple people were contesting me on that point and that point only, and I was using the example that tobacco was once allowed in public areas where children would be.
    If it were regular cigs, I would still ask the kids to do it somewhere else because, it is kinda rude but, my options would be much more limited.
    I am not going to go over there and kick anyones *kitten* because, lets face it, I am an adult.
    All it takes is for one parent to yank a kid out of the day care and for her to tell the other parents why and suddenly my wife is left without a business.
    All it takes is ONE health care worker to smell the pot and declare that she detected an illegal substance and, the doors get closed.
    It is just that simple.
    Personally, the smell doesn't even bother me. I am not a smoker but I will take that smell over cigs or cigars every day.
    It is the business impact.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    If you can smell it, then obviously you are breathing it in.That is about as basic science as it gets.

If they are smelling it, they're breathing it. Perhaps your point is that they cannot get high just because they smell it.

If breathing in the smell of a substance is so harmful, why are kids allowed to hug their cigarette-smoking relatives? Surely the stench is in their hair, their clothing, their car, and their home, so everyone who visits or gets near them is breathing it in!! No, they can't get a nicotine buzz but it still must be bad because they can smell it! Oh, the horror!!

Third-hand smoke? Give me a break. It's just another excuse to blame smokers for negatively affecting everyone else's health, like people love to blame the big fast food chains for making us fat because they push advertising down our throats. Kids touch dead things, eat dirt, play with bugs, put their faces on the floors of public bathrooms, are crammed into classrooms with dozens of sick children during cold and flu season, and hate being washed, and you're worried about third-hand smoke??
  • nathan6878
    nathan6878 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    First talk to the mom, and then if it keeps on happening go to the cops and report the neighbor.
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do anything. There are far worse things floating around in the air :noway:
  • RGv2
    Options

Third-hand smoke? Give me a break. It's just another excuse to blame smokers for negatively affecting everyone else's health, like people love to blame the big fast food chains for making us fat because they push advertising down our throats. Kids touch dead things, eat dirt, play with bugs, put their faces on the floors of public bathrooms, are crammed into classrooms with dozens of sick children during cold and flu season, and hate being washed, and you're worried about third-hand smoke??

“Thirdhand smoke” is residual contamination from cigarette smoke toxicants that can linger on surfaces long after cigarettes have been extinguished. Studies have shown that days, weeks and even months after a cigarette was smoked, harmful particulates remain on countertops, floors, upholstery, carpets, clothing and other surfaces and fabrics. Infants and children are especially susceptible to thirdhand smoke exposure because of their immature respiratory and immune systems, lower metabolic capacity and tendencies to crawl, play on, breathe near, touch, and mouth contaminated surfaces, such as floors and fabrics. Day care providers who step outside the home or center to smoke may return from their break with thirdhand smoke on their clothing, and thus inadvertently jeopardize the health of infants and children who come in contact with them.

http://publichealthlawcenter.org/sites/default/files/resources/phlc-fs-smokefreechildcare-2011.pdf
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options

Point missed entirely.

^^ This. All the kid has to do is bring it indoors. I'll bet though that mom doesn't know and that's why he's on the fence line. The reality is that until they truly legalize it, the state can cause issues and, in any event, parents have already complained. If it were me though I'd work out a trade for the vaporizer.

I got the point on my first reply to the poster which advised him of how to handle the situation.
    This post was my rant about what I quoted.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do anything. There are far worse things floating around in the air :noway:

Did you actually read the post? He's concerned about his wife's business being either shut down by the health department when they do an inspection or her having to close because parents are yanking their kids out and by word of mouth no one is going to send their kids to a day care where there's pot smoking going on in the yard next door.
  • RGv2
    Options

Did you actually read the post? He's concerned about his wife's business being either shut down by the health department when they do an inspection or her having to close because parents are yanking their kids out and by word of mouth no one is going to send their kids to a day care where there's pot smoking going on in the yard next door.

That's been the fun part. I don't think 1/2 of the people responding read that.
This discussion has been closed.