Neighbor smoking pot. What would you do?

Options

Replies

• digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Weed is not that big a deal i mean in some states its used as medicine. Why not mind your own business
    Because when the smell interfers with my wifes business, suddenly it becomes MY business.
    I am going to take a guess and say you didn't bother to even read the post?

No i did read it but thats bs the gov cant shut you down because some dumb kids next door are smoking pot its not meth :p
    Actually, they can.
    All it takes is for one health worker to "detect an illegal substance" and the business will be instantly shut down.
  • Pink_Pandas
    Options
    dude, you may need to smoke some of that weed. Take a chill pill.....maybe a hit from my bong?

I think these posts are my favorite --- and the reason I keep returning to this thread. You're really making it look good for people who smoke weed and aren't *kitten* about it. Good job! (/sarcasm.)
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I was going to say "Get over it," but then I read your post. I am 23 and I smoke (MJ) quite often. But I would NEVER smoke outside; I live in a duplex and there's a little girl next door who often has friends over. (I just smoke with my [upstairs] bedroom window open and choose a bowl over joints/blunts, because they smell so much stronger.) The fact that your wife has not just a child, but a DAYCARE, gives her reason to want them to stop. If she's already talked to them, I say warn them once more than you WILL report them, and if they continue, report them. I'm all for smoking pot in a manageable way, but these guys crossed the line.
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    1 then 2 would be my choice.

+1

give her a chance to deal with the situation....
    if no change, then call the cops.

This. I would always talk to the people first, then if they absolutely refused to do anything about it, and it was going to effect something major then I would call the police. You're wife can't ignore the problem, because most likely it will end up in her losing her business, which isn't okay in this situation. The neighbors should be respectful of that. It doesn't really matter if it will really effect the kids or not, it does matter that even if authorities smell it, or parents of children smell it and report it, then it's a problem, and deemed unsafe. It sucks to be in a situation like this. If the kids don't care if you talk to their mom or not, then going to the police might be the only option you may have in order to stop it. :(
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Stay out of it each to there own as long as it doesn't cross you're front door leave it but hey it's just advice !

They can't really stay out of it when it can affect his wife's business.

The state may not close her down because the pot isn't being smoked on her property (but I'm not sure) but parents can pull their children and than his wife loses income. I don't see why they should stay out of it.

OP, I would go next door and speak with the parents. Explain the situation and explain that should it continue you will be forced to contact Police (provided pot is illegal in your area). Explain that you don't want to have to resort to calling Police as that can affect her job. Or, speak with mom.. and hope she does something about it. If it continues than contact Police without telling them it was you. You don't really want nasty neighbours to deal with.

Hopefully the mother will take control so she doesn't risk losing her job if the Police do have to get involved. I'm gonna sound mean saying this but if she doesn't put a stop to it, she deserves what will happen to her. You have to look out for you and your wife's business.

Be on the lookout if you do have to call Police... dont' need some idiot kid throwing some pot into your yard/on your property and that be found.
  • MaryB2
    MaryB2 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Weed is not that big a deal i mean in some states its used as medicine. Why not mind your own business
    Because when the smell interfers with my wifes business, suddenly it becomes MY business.

No i did read it but thats bs the gov cant shut you down because some dumb kids next door are smoking pot its not meth :p

If you had read it you would realize that this is not only about being shut down. Parents have also threatened to pull their kids out due to the smell. No clients equals no business!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options

Actually, they can.
    All it takes is for one health worker to "detect an illegal substance" and the business will be instantly shut down.

Sounds like you need some legal advice not fitness you know this is a fitness site right call someone who can give you sound advice
  • FranksRumHam
    FranksRumHam Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    It is also strong enough to where I can smell it as soon as I get out of my car (approx 50 yards away).
    5 feet from the fence line

so 50 yards plus 5 feet? or is it just 5 feet?

sorry, maybe my maths are broken.
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    you could always resort to violence ;P
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

Ooh, yeah, just stand next to the fence with a shotgun pointed over it looking intimidating as hell. Those stoners would probably piss their pants in fear. And after all, guns being held by adults around children makes them safer, right? Of course right!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    It is also strong enough to where I can smell it as soon as I get out of my car (approx 50 yards away).

50 yards from his driveway in the front of the house.
    5 feet from the playground in the back yard of the house/daycare
  • kingkoopaluv
    kingkoopaluv Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    yeah because us stoners are such A**holes! Really?
  • digitalbill
    Options

My driveway is about 50 yards from the backyard fence. There is my driveway, front yard, house, back yard, and then fence.
    The kids are smoking 5 feet away from the BACK fence which is between 10 and 20 feet away from the childrens play area.
  • now_or_never13
    Options
    Also one more thought... you look like you could be pretty intimidating to a few 18 year old boys..
    why dont you go over and have a man to boys conversation with them..

This could work too!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options

Ooh, yeah, just stand next to the fence with a shotgun pointed over it looking intimidating as hell. Those stoners would probably piss their pants in fear. And after all, guns being held by adults around children makes them safer, right? Of course right!

I think that was cough a joke
  • Pink_Pandas
    Options
    I was going to say "Get over it," but then I read your post. I am 23 and I smoke (MJ) quite often. But I would NEVER smoke outside; I live in a duplex and there's a little girl next door who often has friends over. (I just smoke with my [upstairs] bedroom window open and choose a bowl over joints/blunts, because they smell so much stronger.) The fact that your wife has not just a child, but a DAYCARE, gives her reason to want them to stop. If she's already talked to them, I say warn them once more than you WILL report them, and if they continue, report them. I'm all for smoking pot in a manageable way, but these guys crossed the line.

+1, finally someone with a bit more intelligent argument and understanding insight. I used to smoke pretty often -- but in my case it was primarily for medical purposes. It became more recreational after. I don't as much anymore just because of my own personal reasons -- not because I think its in any way worse than cigarettes or alcohol. I think though, weed is a much better substitute when it comes to prescription narcotics. I'd choose weed over oxy, demerol, or any of that any day. I'm happy I stopped being a stuck up brat about it and tried it.
  • digitalbill
    Options

My intimidation/fighting days are over.
    I had my fill in the Army.
    I really am looking for a peaceful resolution to this but, unless the Mom puts her foot down, I am about out of options.
  • megleighd
    megleighd Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Light up with him. . .
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Aww, OP, you didn't like my bait-with-Denny's plan? :'( lol

Seriously though, all pot / smoke debating aside, I do hope that you can get this resolved quietly. It would suck to have your wife lose her business... although, the silver lining in that situation might be that she would consider establishing an out-of-home daycare instead. That way, there would be no pesky neighbors to worry about in the first place.
  • now_or_never13
    Options

Actually, they can.

Sounds like you need some legal advice not fitness you know this is a fitness site right call someone who can give you sound advice

He was asking for advice from people on a public forum not what the law was on the situation.

Whether or not the state can shut down the business parents can still remove their child from her care which means they lose money.
This discussion has been closed.