Do you count the calories in fruit and veg?

Options

Replies

• jtannehill75
    Options
    i count fruits.. not veggies.. on WW.. veggies are free foods..
  • RitaSantoss
    RitaSantoss Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Short answer: Yes.
  • DemOniC_PT
    DemOniC_PT Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    i only count the fruit, not the veggies.
  • proudandprejudiced
    Options
    I think my weight loss would be hindered if I ate 5 avocados per day without logging the calories.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Yes I log them. I eat hundreds of calories a day in fruit and veg. If I ignored those calories then I'd be on here saying "X weeks and no weight loss! Whyyyyy???"
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I count the calories in EVERYTHING I eat.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Most of the time but not always. I don't believe you can eat too many veggies unless they are covered in butter. And things like potatoes and avocado.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, why wouldn't you? Calories are calories. If you don't log them, what's the point in logging anything?

I do but I'm asking if others do, reason I ask is because under slimming world they are classed as free foods and you won't pile on the pounds if you eat a lot more of them than you would if you ate more of foods that were less friendly so to speak.

Just wondering if its worth it going forward for me and what are the bad points for not doing it.

Seriously.....When this day is done, I will have eaten 422 calories of fruit and veg...why the frick wouldn't I count those considering my deficit is a mere 500 calories per day? If I eliminate the fruit from that equation, I still have 175 calories of vegetables today. Again...why the frick wouldn't I count that?

Is that why there are so many posts about, "i'm doing everything right but the scale isn't budging?" Seriously...a calorie is a calorie, is a calorie. If you're not counting veggies or fruit or whatever then you are not doing everything right.
  • norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Any calorie you put in your mouth counts including throat drops, gum, menentos. A calorie is a calorie.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Unless you're talking about food that someone gives you- no food is "FREE" food.

A calorie is a calorie.. they are all energy.. excess energy is stored regardless of source. So yes- count the calories in fruits and veggies.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I do log fruit and veggies.

Eat a single grape and mfp's sugar macro goes ape *kitten* into the red immedeatly
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Wow I honestly didn't know people were so weird about logging every vegetable. (not saying that's a bad thing!) I just had no idea. If the only thing I ate all day was fruits and veggies, I wouldn't even worry about logging.
  • emacb123
    emacb123 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if people do this, seems pretty pointless although I have been doing it.

Yes I log them. They have calories so they count.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Wow I honestly didn't know people were so weird about logging every vegetable. (not saying that's a bad thing!) I just had no idea. If the only thing I ate all day was fruits and veggies, I wouldn't even worry about logging.

Fruit and veg make up roughly 20% (about 420 calories) of my diet...the other 80% (1,730) consists of some grains, protein, and fat. At 20% of my diet, fruits and veg make up about 420 calories for me per day. Why wouldn't I want to count that?

Seriously, I think this is why there are so many people thinking they're doing everything right and not losing...they're only logging grains, proteins, and fats...wow..just wow.
  • delekium
    delekium Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't if I ate ONLY fruit and vegetables... but then I'd probably wouldn't have to log.
    But I do log.
  • neiljbrady
    neiljbrady Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Pretty unanimous. Yes, I log ALL fruits and vegetables, because they are all calories. Lose weight calories in MUST be less than calories out. (used)
  • neiljbrady
    neiljbrady Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Pretty unanimous. Yes, I log ALL fruits and vegetables, because they are all calories. Lose weight, calories in MUST be less than calories out. (used)
  • MsLilly200
    MsLilly200 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Yes.

An average 100 gram banana is 100 calories.
    A big 150 gram apple or 100 grams of grapes is 75 calories.
    100 grams of peas is 60 calories.
    100 grams of corn is 90.
    Together those fruit and vegetables (and that's a bit heavy on fruit and not alot of vegetables) are 400 calories.

That is ALOT when my maintanance is around 1650.
  • Norm_B
    Options
    Certainly, I do. Follow the fitness program that you are on.

It does not make much sense to just pick the parts of different programs that you like.
  • missCherry1977
    missCherry1977 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    fruit yes, veggies no. Unless it's a "starchy" type of veggie like corn on potatoes.