When do you notice fat loss from strength training?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different but I would not expect anything til at least 3-4 weeks. Just focus on the program and the results will come.
    This. Takes about 4 weeks for you to notice change.

I agree as well. You may be one of the lucky ones and notice weight loss right away, but don't count on it.

Remember you will lose fat faster than gain muscle, ideally you could lose 8-10 lbs of fat in a month, but you would only gain about 2 lbs of muscle with hard strenuous workouts.
    So are you saying that I should expect to lose more fat than I am gaining in muscle?

Have you lifted before?
    I am on a deficit and not as a lifestyle change like I'm trying now. I've done it for track at times but not like this routine I've been following.

You may make some 'newbie' gains at first as long as you have a good progressive loading strength training routine. The amount is finite and very variable as it depends on things like BF%, sex, training intensity, level of deficit, getting enough protein, genetics etc.

In general though, yes you will lose body fat at a quicker rate than you *might* gain muscle (if you do indeed gain some).

No matter what though, strength training will preserve your LBM and will make you stronger (plus a slew of other benefits) so that your weight loss = fat loss and you will look better when you get to your goal BF%.

Edited for typo

so if I have more sex I will lose more body fat%???????

LOL sorry just being a goof sara.....
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different but I would not expect anything til at least 3-4 weeks. Just focus on the program and the results will come.

I agree as well. You may be one of the lucky ones and notice weight loss right away, but don't count on it.

Remember you will lose fat faster than gain muscle, ideally you could lose 8-10 lbs of fat in a month, but you would only gain about 2 lbs of muscle with hard strenuous workouts.
    So are you saying that I should expect to lose more fat than I am gaining in muscle?

Have you lifted before?
    I am on a deficit and not as a lifestyle change like I'm trying now. I've done it for track at times but not like this routine I've been following.

You may make some 'newbie' gains at first as long as you have a good progressive loading strength training routine. The amount is finite and very variable as it depends on things like BF%, sex, training intensity, level of deficit, getting enough protein, genetics etc.

In general though, yes you will lose body fat at a quicker rate than you *might* gain muscle (if you do indeed gain some).

No matter what though, strength training will preserve your LBM and will make you stronger (plus a slew of other benefits) so that your weight loss = fat loss and you will look better when you get to your goal BF%.

Edited for typo

Thank you for the help! I'm currently eating about 1500 calories a day, is that okay or should I change it?
    Just a wild *kitten* guess but 1500 calories is probably 500-600 too low for you. Don't have enough info to tell for sure.
  • ericcanute
    ericcanute Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I would say that ever three to four weeks you should start to notice something...

with my training I notice that about every four weeks the weights get progressively lighter and I need to adjust them up. I also notice that my body appears to break itself down and then rebuild about every four weeks as well...like week three I start to think I look like *kitten* and by week four I think I look like a f'ing beast....weird I know...
    That is very interesting. I'll have to keep an eye out for that. I'm also trying to get down to 8-12 percent body fat and I'm at 22 right now. Any tips on that?

lose body fat % is simple or so it sounds....keep eating in deficit and keep crushing the weights...if you at 22% right now you might benefit from one or two cardio routines a week until you get to sub 20% body fat...

What does your current program look like? Days working out, body parts hit, etc..? Are you doing deadlifts, squats, bench press...?
    Well I'll link you to it. You get two days off a week. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kris-gethin-12-week-daily-trainer-week-1-day-1.html
  • ericcanute
    Options

Have you lifted before?

Edited for typo

Thank you for the help! I'm currently eating about 1500 calories a day, is that okay or should I change it?
    Just a wild *kitten* guess but 1500 calories is probably 500-600 too low for you. Don't have enough info to tell for sure.
    What type of info would you need? I know it's rather low but the problem is that I really am never that hungry to eat all those calories and I'm lucky if I break 1500 most of the time.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Have you lifted before?

Edited for typo

What type of info would you need? I know it's rather low but the problem is that I really am never that hungry to eat all those calories and I'm lucky if I break 1500 most of the time.

height, weight, age, body fat%
  • ericcanute
    Options
    5'10", 204, 15, 22%. I've lost about 26 pounds since I started cardio in July.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I would say that ever three to four weeks you should start to notice something...

with my training I notice that about every four weeks the weights get progressively lighter and I need to adjust them up. I also notice that my body appears to break itself down and then rebuild about every four weeks as well...like week three I start to think I look like *kitten* and by week four I think I look like a f'ing beast....weird I know...
    That is very interesting. I'll have to keep an eye out for that. I'm also trying to get down to 8-12 percent body fat and I'm at 22 right now. Any tips on that?

lose body fat % is simple or so it sounds....keep eating in deficit and keep crushing the weights...if you at 22% right now you might benefit from one or two cardio routines a week until you get to sub 20% body fat...

What does your current program look like? Days working out, body parts hit, etc..? Are you doing deadlifts, squats, bench press...?
    Well I'll link you to it. You get two days off a week. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kris-gethin-12-week-daily-trainer-week-1-day-1.html

it seems pretty sound..I mean I am not an expert by far...I did not see any deadlifts or barbell squats in the program...but then again bodybuilding.com never asks me to put together a 12 week plan for them...

I would go with it and see how it goes..you can always add or remove exercise as you play around with routine...
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I don't know if all 12wkers are similar. I did livefit and the last most intense phase you feel it. At that point if you're watching your macros and eating right along with the intense workouts, you feel it for sure.

I swear I was burning fat in my sleep and was waking up thinner. I seriously want to do it again.
  • ndj1979
    Options

15 years old?
  • ericcanute
    Options

it seems pretty sound..I mean I am not an expert by far...I did not see any deadlifts or barbell squats in the program...but then again bodybuilding.com never asks me to put together a 12 week plan for them...

I would go with it and see how it goes..you can always add or remove exercise as you play around with routine...
    Well there is of course 12 weeks worth of plans and exercises for it so its possible there could be some somewhere
  • ericcanute
    Options
    I don't know if all 12wkers are similar. I did livefit and the last most intense phase you feel it. At that point if you're watching your macros and eating right along with the intense workouts, you feel it for sure.

I swear I was burning fat in my sleep and was waking up thinner. I seriously want to do it again.
    That's interesting I'll have to look into that one.
  • ericcanute
    Options

15 years old?
    Yup
  • ndj1979
    Options

15 years old?
    Yup

Ok well I calculated your TDEE based on 3-5 days of activity and if you were to eat 3292 calories per day you would stay at current weight...25% deficit would put you at 2469 calories per day ....you said you are eating at 1500 right now?

1500 will work for a while but eventually your gains will stall out ...if you are not comfortable bumping up that much go to 2K a day and see how that works..if you like the results then go up to 2300 or something....
  • wildaaron
    wildaaron Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I saw somewhere average 4 weeks for you to notice, 8 weeks for people you are around regularly to notice and 12 weeks for strangers.
  • alejandroak
    Options
    Your comment about your 1,500 calorie regimen prompted me to post... so that I might get some advice from people and/or compare...

Age 29.75
    Height 6'-0"

I started at 234lb on December 10th... Currently at 213-214lb after 80 days.

Through various iterations, I have settled on:

1,500 NET calories per day
    50/30/20 ratio of carbohydrate/protein/fat

WEIGHTS:
    Monday, Wednesday Friday AM
    Super sets, starting at 70-80% of 1-rep max
    All upper body (legs are like tree trunks),
    200-300 calories burned, HR between 100 and 130

CARDIO:
    Monday-Friday
    Spinning
    950-1,100 calories burned in 70 minutes (According to Polar FT80 HRM. Bike shows 850-1,100 kcal input, so they're reasonably close)
    HR between 155 and 178, including 5min warm up and 5min cool down, HR averages 150. Max so far 181

Seems to be working... 1.75LB/week
    Size 38 pants now feel REALLY loose (I could fit 36's with ease). Will eventually buy size 34's
    Took photos on Jan 10th, Feb 10th, noticed "side fat" loss
    More definition around abs (6-pack starting to show... last seen in 1st year college on Div 1 swim team :-( )
    Better shoulder/arm definition

Pants are hella loose!! It's hilarious

Opinions?

EDIT:

Resting heart rate while sleeping: 47-48bpm

Resting heart rate while sitting at the office: ~55bpm
  • ericcanute
    Options

15 years old?
    Yup

Ok well I calculated your TDEE based on 3-5 days of activity and if you were to eat 3292 calories per day you would stay at current weight...25% deficit would put you at 2469 calories per day ....you said you are eating at 1500 right now?

1500 will work for a while but eventually your gains will stall out ...if you are not comfortable bumping up that much go to 2K a day and see how that works..if you like the results then go up to 2300 or something....
    Hmmm alright I guess I'll have to bump it up. I don't know what I'll even eat to get there... It'll be hard for me to do.
  • Sleepynita
    Options
    I am on week 5 of weights, following simplyshredded.com female training guide with the stubborn fat protocol (4 days a week plus a yoga day and a functional or fun exercise day so I work out 6/7 days a week).

I have noticed a difference in my quads, shoulders and arms already even though my weight itself has not budged. I am OK with that though, eventually the weight has to change since I still need to lose 20 pounds to be clinically average. Most importantly I feel invincible :)
  • ericcanute
    Options
    Your comment about your 1,500 calorie regimen prompted me to post... so that I might get some advice from people and/or compare...

Age 29.75
    Height 6'-0"

I started at 234lb on December 10th... Currently at 213-214lb after 80 days.

Through various iterations, I have settled on:

1,500 NET calories per day
    50/30/20 ratio of carbohydrate/protein/fat

WEIGHTS:
    Monday, Wednesday Friday AM
    Super sets, starting at 70-80% of 1-rep max
    All upper body (legs are like tree trunks),
    200-300 calories burned, HR between 100 and 130

CARDIO:
    Monday-Friday
    Spinning
    950-1,100 calories burned in 70 minutes (According to Polar FT80 HRM. Bike shows 850-1,100 kcal input, so they're reasonably close)
    HR between 155 and 178, including 5min warm up and 5min cool down, HR averages 150. Max so far 181

Seems to be working... 1.75LB/week
    Size 38 pants now feel REALLY loose (I could fit 36's with ease). Will eventually buy size 34's
    Took photos on Jan 10th, Feb 10th, noticed "side fat" loss
    More definition around abs (6-pack starting to show... last seen in 1st year college on Div 1 swim team :-( )
    Better shoulder/arm definition

Pants are hella loose!! It's hilarious

Opinions?
    I'm very curious, I've never heard if it, but what is "spinning" when referring to cardio?
  • ericcanute
    Options
    I am on week 5 of weights, following simplyshredded.com female training guide with the stubborn fat protocol (4 days a week plus a yoga day and a functional or fun exercise day so I work out 6/7 days a week).

I have noticed a difference in my quads, shoulders and arms already even though my weight itself has not budged. I am OK with that though, eventually the weight has to change since I still need to lose 20 pounds to be clinically average. Most importantly I feel invincible :)
    I feel great too after only a few days, I like that I can feel sore from the workout. Makes me feel like I worked hard.
  • ndj1979
    Options

15 years old?
    Yup

Hmmm alright I guess I'll have to bump it up. I don't know what I'll even eat to get there... It'll be hard for me to do.

chiken, eggs, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, steak, brown rice, whole wheat linguine, etc...

your best friend is a slow cooker...I throw like seven chicken breasts in the thing on sunday and then shred them and throw in fridge so that I have lunch or whatever else I need ready to go...

make sure you log EVERYTHING