Coconut Oil

Options
13»

Replies

• SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    What I wonder is this.

Is this actually resulting in more weight loss for anybody?

I'm not sure that starting to consume coconut oil would necessarily make you lose weight, but combined with other good habits, it could definitely help! It helps with the absorption of vitamins & minerals, thus helping to improve health. I think if you are overweight and you are improving your health, the weight will follow suit.

http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oils/organic-coconut-oil/health-benefits-of-coconut-oil.html
  • dalh
    dalh Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate all your comments :)
  • danelledawnc
    danelledawnc Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    No matter, everything I have read has not been supportive of cooking with olive oil - it's much healthier as dressing, etc.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, smoothies, on popcorn.

Sometimes I use it to create a dessert with banana, dark chocolate, coconut oil (sometimes random other stuff) then freeze it and chow down.

I personally don't take anything JUST because it's supposed to help blast belly fat or whatever. I try to eat stuff healthy in general so I'm never concerned with "eat this much to reap the benefits!" but 4tbsp every day is a lot even if it is healthy for you.

I also really, really like using coconut oil for my hair and skin. :)
  • Vegieburger
    Options
    I brown steel cut oats in it before cooking them. Also yummy with polenta.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I think the term you were looking for is "smoke point". Coconut oil is at about 350 degrees (unrefined) and 450 degrees (refined). Extra virgin olive oil is 375 degrees, and extra light olive oil is 468 degrees. So the differences are negligible (although olive oil is higher in both cases). It's especially unimportant since THEY DON'T TURN INTO TRANSFAT WHEN OVERHEATED ANYWAY. The smoke point is basically the point at which it starts to taste bad and to lose some of its nutritional benefits.

I'm pretty sure the smoke point is when the oil starts smoking and you start running around your house ripping batteries out of smoke detectors.
  • northfresh
    northfresh Posts: 111
    Options
    I love it as a moisturizer, for baking or in my coffee. Buy I am obssessed with coconut so... lol
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is my new obsession!!! I use it to sauté vegetables and as a substitute for butter in baking. I also use it as a moisturizer and makeup remover (tried it as a leave in conditioner, but it just made my hair look greasy). I know lots of people who eat it by the spoonful and put it in their smoothies, but I don't do that. 3-4 tablespoons a day sounds excessive, especially if you are watching calories.
  • hilliardjoe
    hilliardjoe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    What I wonder is this.

Is this actually resulting in more weight loss for anybody?

Yep. Use it to replace all the franken vegetable oils in the pantry.

If I eat it hot, I cook it with coconut oil, if I eat it cold I put olive oil on it.
  • michelleavent1979
    Options
    Here is my favorite way to incorporate it into a meal:

Cut up some chicken breast (I use about 7oz) into very small pieces,
    Saute it in 1 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil (I use Nutiva Organic, found at Costco),
    Sprinkle to taste with Simply Asia Sweet Ginger Garlic Seasoning (I found that at Costco),
    Toss some raw spinach/spring mix (I use 100g) with 2 tbsp Marie's Honey Mustard Salad Dressing,
    Pour the chicken, and remaining coconut oil over salad, and mix well.

I gave the detail I did because it is the most delicious thing I've ever eaten. I really highly recommend this dish! The amounts I gave are meant for one person, so multiply accordingly if you're serving more than one.

First of all... I liked the sound of this.
    Second.. I made this tonight for diner for my husband (and put some chopped pecans on his) and he LOVED it. I Loved the fact that this is a 10 min meal!
    Third.. I made mine right after his.. (that way I could measure mine.) I added sweetened shredded coconut (NOT WORTH THE 70 CALORIES!) but added 8 Oz of strawberries, and it was AMAZING!

Re-reading the recipe I did do one thing wrong, I put the salad dressing in the pan after the chicken was cooked and then poured everything over greens and strawberries.

This MAKES A HUGE MEAL and is only 576 Calories! I did not think I could eat it all, but it was SOOOO good that I did, and didn't regret one calorie!

Thank you SO much for sharing!!!!

*hug
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    In my bullet proof coffee every morning... Awesome energy drink!
  • ChloeRoseLejeune
    Options
    I use it on my hair :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • ajourney2beme
    ajourney2beme Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    if I eat it cold I put olive oil on it.

Woa - oilception right there!
  • chall0688
    chall0688 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I use it on my hair, on my face, and my hands/nails. I also like to cook with it... Usually add a tablespoon of it into my green smoothies.

I was also using it for a while for "oil pulling" but seriously hate the feeling of it in my mouth since it's in a semi-solid form for me. It just feels like lard or shortening in there and makes me gag.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Bump, for the above recipe.
  • Runningnorth
    Runningnorth Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The best treat you can make is when you need that sweet treat

Bowl of plain yogurt
    frozen blueberries on top
    Heat up coconut oil until it turns liquid in the microwave about 20-30 sec
    Add Cacao or coco powder and a bit of something sweet (rice syrup, maple syrup, honey what ever you are using)
    Heat it up again for about 10 seconds
    Pour over blueberries
    It will get hard when it touches the frozen blueberries
    And then you get a lovely chocolate coated treat, it acts like that chocolate shell stuff people pour on ice cream.

It is a great treat and it isn't that bad for you

Also a fun thing to do for kids over ice cream for a treat, they will love it and coconut oil is healthy

Give it a try. This replaced my ice cream craving
  • Spadowski
    Spadowski Posts: 38
    Options
    I was wondering if it is suppose to be in liquid form like olive oil or solid like shortening. I saw a big container at costco, it looks solid. Is anyone using the one from costco and is it considered a "good one"?

Coconut oil solidifies like shortening at cooler temps and is liquid like olive oil when it's warmer. It's totally normal for it to fluctuate. When solid, you can put a small amount in your palm and watch it melt in your hand. Unrefined oil is the 'good' one as it hasn't been bleached & chemically processed, though I haven't noticed that Costco carried it and will look into it. I buy Spectrum brand Unrefined coconut oil because it's the best price at my local co-op. Refined oil has been bleached and chemically processed, but it's more affordable. Funny, how the less you alter your food the more it costs...

I put about 1-2 tablespoons in a dutch oven and pop corn on the stove, then season it with salt and pepper. Yes I count the calories. Best popcorn ever! I also put it in smoothies sometimes. Coconut oil is also handy if you like to make curries and raw food recipes. Mix a little with some baking soda and you have all-natural, non-toxic Goo-Gone.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I love coconut oil--I've been using it for years. I don't consider it a weight loss supplement, but I do find it a healthy, pleasant oil. I have mostly used Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, but am also using a brand I've found here in the UK called Coconoil.

I use it regularly for cooking--stir fry, eggs, chicken, fish, curry, veggies, you name it.

I use it if I bake (I don't bake much these days, but did have success with coconut oil and baking in the past).

I use it just as one does butter--as a spread on veggies and such. If you eat toast, it's great in place of butter, perhaps with a bit of jam.

I use it every morning in my bulletproof coffee (google for recipe).

I also use it as a moisturiser for my face and hands and have put it in the ends of my hair on occasion.

I live in Scotland now, so my coconut oil is usually a pretty solid mass. It melts with no trouble, though.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    It's a medium chain triglyceride and it's not stored as adipose tissue like most other fats are and instead used as immediate energy, so basically the thermic effect of medium vs long chain fatty acids is different and why some are inclined to say that it helps burn fat but in reality it's used up before it gets a chance to be stored.

Yes.