Is it worth all the hunger pain?

Options

Replies

• msleanlegs
    msleanlegs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Peeked at your food diary...Perhaps you could make some of those fast food items at home to save up some calories for when hunger hits?
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I am finding it very hard keeping up with this diet. I seem to be always really hungry especially during the evenings. I been cheating a lot for the past few days. I Been thinking is it really worth all the hunger pains at this age, going to be 62 this July. :yawn:

When you're hungry, you should eat and just be mindful about the type of food that you're eating. I've found that eating fast food/take away didn't leave me feeling as more wholesome options like lean protein, whole grain bread, peanut butter, ruit and veg. Protein helps you stay fuller longer and so does fiber.
  • slroggemann
    slroggemann Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend eating more. On MFP saying that seems to be like talking to a brick wall at times, but my hope is that eventually someone will listen. You should be consuming foods with more fiber and protein, less fast food for sure. Food is fuel and you have to be fueling your body with the right foods so that you're not always hungry.
  • christianivanka
    christianivanka Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You should never have hunger pangs, ever your body is trying to tell you something, men should eat at least 1800 with excersise, and when you get hungry, eat food that is not dense, like some almonds, an apple, peanut butter, or try a protein shake, 1/2 banana strawberries, whey protein, flaxseed, fat free plain yogurt, and add water and ice, it tastes so delicioius and has tons of protein to control you hunger!!!!
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    There shouldn't be any hunger pain. How much are you eating?
  • christianivanka
    christianivanka Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    something else that has helped me a lot with hunger is a drink a green juice before breakfast and lunch, im serious for example if i used to eat 4 tacos i can only eat 2now without even trying GREEN JUICE: kale, celery, carrots, 1/2 cucumber, 1 piece of ginger, lots of spinach,1tbs flaxseed, and for flavor you can add 1/2 green apple or any fruit you like or stevia i freeze all my veggies so i dont have to add ice is a really good smootthie!!!!!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Good Lord, no wonder you're starving. Please take a look at my diary - and eat more.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I am finding it very hard keeping up with this diet. I seem to be always really hungry especially during the evenings. I been cheating a lot for the past few days. I Been thinking is it really worth all the hunger pains at this age, going to be 62 this July. :yawn:

no
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Richard, i took a look at your diary.
    1200 calories is way too low for you in my opinion. Also, you seem to be eating a lot of fast food. Is there any way you can replace some of those meals with say, grilled chicken breast and a plate full of veggies? You would get a more filling meal for the same calories.
    Also, if you're hungry, eat! Seriously. It just doesn't have to be fast food. Don't let it get to the point where you are starving. If i were so hungry that i was actually in pain, calories would be the last thing on my mind.
  • JessieLMay
    JessieLMay Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone has said. But if cooking/eating at home is not an option (like for me) choose something better. Like Ia McDs I get a classic grilled chicken sandwich with no mayo, a parfait instead of fries, I stick to my large dr pepper (sometimes an unsweetened ice tea) all for UNDER 500 calories. I add half of a kids fry...and its STILL under 500 calories. Just find a happy medium. Dont think of it as a diet..think of it as a lifestyle change. I am in week 3 of my "diet" and I lost 4lbs and 3.5 inches already. Feel free to add me :)
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Edit: I checked out your food diary.

If I were on your diet, I would not be able to do it.

It would be way too hard for me. 1200 calories is kind of low, impossible for most men.

Eating only three meals a day of fast food would also be hard to maintain. I would get hungry from the lack of protein and nutrients, would feel tired from all of the extra fat, and I would be frustrated at waiting hours between meals to eat. So I can only imagine how much harder it would be for a tall, heavier adult male to do that kind of program.

Don't give up. Definitely increase your calories, and eat foods that will keep you satisfied longer.

I don't have many hunger issues, this lifestyle change is very manageable for me. I had cravings and hunger when I first started losing weight, and was doing about 1.5 lbs / week. I felt like I was starving the first week. I am eating a lot more now (1400 - 1700 calories per day), eating more fruits and vegetables, so there is less hunger.

This is what has helped me the most:

Eat more small meals a day. I eat all the time. About five or six is great - but I don't count.

Stack with foods that are higher in fiber and but lower in sugar and fat. Stuff high in fat will be more calorie dense, so you will get fewer bites for the calories. Buffer your meals with low calorie vegetables, to give you more fullness. Try snacking on healthy, low calorie stuff like 100 calorie popcorn bags, whole grain bread / tuna sandwiches, etc. Fruit is good too, try to get something with protein in with it.

Exercise - it helps with hunger.

Don't drastically cut calories right away, unless you can deal with the hunger (I did). It's easier to do it gradually.

Try to eat "cleaner." I would feel very hungry if I had to eat low nutrient foods all day. Sugary deserts in particular make me hungry shortly after finishing them.

I can't say that these things will work for you, but they did for me.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    You are hungry because you are eating a very small amount of highly processed, junk food rather than a decent amount of real food.
  • alishawesomesauce
    Options
    There is absolutely no reason to be rude to this man over what he's been eating the past few days, or even when he started. This is a journey, it takes time to make good habits. I'd say by him joining, at least he's going in the right direction. He posted this asking for motivation and support, not to be ridiculed.

Please note, most people are being nice but a few people have taken it too far.
  • NinjaTheGinger
    NinjaTheGinger Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, but everyone is entitled to their own opinions. If YOU don't like something that you are doing, FIX IT for the better. There is always a happy medium, you just have to be willing and patient to find it.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    You are going to have to eat more!!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Frankly, no, it's not.

You are not eating enough!

Ditto! It's no wonder you are hungry. No male grown person should be eating like a girl.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I don't normally care about what any one eats, but I just went through 4 days of your diary for the hell of it.

You ate McDonald's, Taco Bell, KFC, Carl's Jr, and other CRAP.

Eat some real food.

^^ Nonsense
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Let me re-phrase what I said about Looking at his last 4 days. I looked back from the day he joined. He has been eating McD. Carl's, Taco Bell, KFC and other Frigging CRAP from the day he joined. 1000 calorie for one SANDWICH is absurd.

Double nonsense!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    then workout more, burn more calories so you can eat more..you dont NEED to follow MFP calories..search it a little and see how many cals you should be consuming daily for your age and activity level..or eat back ALL your burned cals..you are still hungry, but you have calories left over..use them, makes more sense than complaining about it..stop eating fast food..there are plenty of other foods that can fill you up, and have lower cals
  • jenniferswooten
    jenniferswooten Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    you shouldn't be hungry. Period.