How many of you don't eat any wheat?

Options
124»

Replies

• The1iceQueen
    Options
    I saw a youtube video on a fitness guru who told all of her reasons why you shouldn't eat wheat and why it was bad for you. My husband doesn't eat wheat anymore after he read an article on it, and he said it has helped both his fitness goals and over all health goals but I am skeptical... anyone not eating wheat?

I don't eat any bread, pasta, or potatoes, so no wheat for me.
  • Ryanmariem
    Ryanmariem Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add my two cents... Gluten Intolerance is becoming more 'popular" simply because Gluten has now been added to so many products that are available on the market it's almost impossible NOT to ingest!! I did a lot of testing and then had a food allergy test administered. I showed that I had gluten sensitivities or intolerance and I was advised to eliminate it. There is enough supporting evidence available for the general market that shows that a lot of other problems people are facing can be caused by Gluten Sensitivities.

There are certainly people who say you "shouldn't" eliminate it. But here's the problem...when it is in everything (because it's used as a binding agent)...this is how people build up interolerances to items (and it can be to anything actually). Gluten is in sauces, condiments, breads, pastas, jello, crackers, cookies, etc etc etc etc... and you have to think...THESE are the staples of MOST of American's diet. Fewer people eat just fresh fruits/veg and lean proteins. Certainly in moderation, for most people gluten wouldn't be an issue....but most people do not eat these things or most things in moderation!!!

Some people with Celic disease point out the obvious that this is almost life threatening for their because their bodies attack when gluten is present. I have experienced severe reactions when I add gluten back into my diet....stomach upset, bloating, etc etc etc.. The biggest thing is not whether it's healthy or not...the biggest question is that is it healthy in HUGE doses!!! Just like you wouldn't sit down and eat trans fats in HUGE doses (or shouldn't) or eat HUGE amounts of Sugars, or Lard...etc etc... the same is true for Gluten... all of these Items can have extreme impacts on the body. Its up to people to educate themselves, the Internet is at basically every ones finger tips anymore. I don't think this is just a FAD...I think we will be seeing more and more reactions to these "additives" that have only been introduced over the past 30-40yrs with no real studies or looks at them or their side affects until recently.

Isn't sad that companies like Gaterade had an additive to drinks that was originally patented as a Flame Retardant. Or that Splenda is simply a Chlorine chemical with 3 sugar components attached...if you wouldn't drink bleach...why is it ok to consume it this way???? THESE are serious questions we should be asking!!!!

I totally agree with you.... Have you read the "Blood Sugar Solution" by Mark Hyman, he talks about this stuff in his book, very informative. Also another good read is the "Calcium Lie" by. Dr. Robert Thompson.

Yes gluten is in everything, and it just isn't regular gluten anymore it is a super gluten made from GMO Wheat...it is not the same stuff people ate 50-60 years ago... and it has been about that same amount of time you start to see the waist grow and health drop of the average american on the SAD diet (standard american diet).

Yes ALL artificial sweetners should be avoided at all costs along w/ High fructose corn syrup. That stuff is just bad for you!
    Why would you want to put a bunch of chemicals into your body?
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I am trying to eliminate "white Starches" this month.. White Four, White rice, White Sugar... I have noticed lately that my big migraines seem to coincide with a big "white starchy" meal.
  • Jacqualynne
    Jacqualynne Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Some people can do wheat no problem,
    others can't do it at all
    and others don't do it very well
    We're all different
    I am not good with wheat and low value carbs and not good with dairy either, my two favourite food groups
    I feel bloated with wheat/carbs and without dairy(I fermented, I have yoghurt) my skin feels 100x better
    Experiment with your diet and see what happens, you may not need any expensive tests
    Good luck :)
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I eat no wheat because I used to be addicted to it (along with sugar---I don't eat sugar either). Gluten has a substance in it called gliadin and that is the part that is addictive for many people. Since I cut out wheat (and sugar) I have dropped 51 pounds---more or less effortlessly. I eat whatever I want minus those two things---works great. I even eat purple potato chips, no problem. I would never have been able to stay on my program in the past. I have been off both wheat and sugar for several years and I have not binged once since quitting them.
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Since I stopped eating gluten I started losing weight again and have a lot less tummy issues, bloating etc (IBS)
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical issue with wheat there is no need to avoid it and cut it out of your diet.

Some of these "fitness guru's" meed to find another job.

Don't go believe something based off an article. The author can put any spin on it than they want. Make decisions based on peer reviewed research and studies.

How about making decisions based on how your body feels. Some people can gobble wheat and seem to have no problem but I have never met someone who goes gluten free and doesn't feel better within two weeks.

^^This. I'm one of those people and so are many others. I don't believe one must have a doctor's approval to stop eating wheat. How many vegetarians or vegans ask their doctor if they are intolerant to meat? Nobody demands that they have some sort of diagnosis in order to stop eating it legitimately. Why is not eating wheat something that people get so worked up about? Very strange.

I stopped eating wheat (along with all other grains) and sugar back in July 2012. I've never felt better in my life! Did a doctor tell me to do that? No. I also did google "research" as well as read a number of books because I too have PCOS and look for ways to improve my condition.

At the time, I also HAD (past tense) a bunch of other health issues related to internal inflammation that I was trying to get relief from, but in a more holistic way than just running to the doctor and whining about my joints and tendons again. I didn't want to go to the doctor and be prescribed yet another pain pill. I don't like to be on a bunch of medication, and treating a symptom isn't really as desirable as treating the actual problem, is it?

This is why I like to see if I can improve my health by changing my diet and/or exercise habits. Guess what? 9 times out of 10 my own interventions have been much more effective than whatever pharmaceutical options I've been given.

My arthritis is pretty much nonexistent since removing those things from my diet. A bunch of other things have gone, too--digestive issues, acne, mood swings, itchy scalp, skin rashes, anxiety, depression, sleep disturbances....I can't say my success in dealing with these problems is entirely down to giving up grains, or entirely down to giving up sugars, as I did both at the same time. But it doesn't really matter for me, and that is who I am treating--myself. I don't want to make either part of my daily diet after knowing how much better I feel when I don't eat those things.

All that said, If my own N=1 experiments weren't going anywhere, and I was still dealing with pain and other inflammatory symptoms, I would absolutely seek professional help. There is definitely a time and a place for that.
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I eat very little of it. But when I do, I try to make sure it is not early in the morning, or late at night - as this will trigger a horrible stomach ache, until I wake again the next morning.
  • the_crazy_ninja
    Options
    I´m trying to. But now and than I need a little pizza...hehehe.
    But the rest of the days it works perfectly :)
  • sociologywoman
    sociologywoman Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    No I haven't read those books, I will definitely look into them. I have just done alot of my own research, education, and yes even reading research and debates on both sides.

I think someone said it best....if you eliminate something for a few weeks to a month and then add it back later and notice problems, then you probably have an intolerance to it!!

The problem is MOST of our foods come with additives that we KNOW nothing about and people don't question them. They are starting to find research that shows that many of the Red Dye can cause problems and hyper sensitivities in children...and yet Red Dye is in almost all of kids food products, juices, etc.... OUR great grandparents didn't deal with these issues, because they weren't trying to preserve "convenience" foods for months and years on end. People actually made their own foods.

The Government and "BIG FOOD" is not about our health or protection people!!! They are about the money, they lobby Congress and other Reps to get their products approved to be put into foods for human consumption, simply b/c it makes their food last longer, gives it a certain color or makes it "taste" better...but they fail to do any real human studies to see the long term affects... Look at # 8 Scary Ingredient #8: Azodicarbonamide
    A synthetic yellow-orange dough conditioner

Why it's scary: This chemical is used most frequently in the production of industrial foam plastic, and although the FDA has approved its use for food in the States, the United Kingdom has labeled it a potential cause of asthma

Do you know....MANY foreign countries will not accept our foods, or products because of some of the added ingredients, as these countries have their own list of ingredients that are NOT allowed in foods.... and yet... WE don't ask questions!!!

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/eatthis/top-10-scariest-food-additives

Scary Ingredient #4: Potassium Bromate
    A compound that conditions flour and helps bread puff up during baking.

Why it’s scary: Potassium bromate causes thyroid and kidney tumors in rats, and it's banned from food use in many countries. In California, products containing potassium bromate are required to carry a cancer warning. Fortunately, negative publicity has made the additive relatively rare, but until the FDA banishes it, you should remain on the lookout.

Scary Ingredient #2: Caramel Coloring
    An artificial pigment created by heating sugars. Frequently, this process includes ammonia.

Why it’s scary: Caramel coloring shows up in everything from soft drinks and sauces to breads and pastries. When made from straight sugar, it's relatively benign. But when produced with ammonia it puts off 2-methylimidazole and 4-methylimidazole, chemicals that have been linked to cancer in mice. The risk is strong enough that the California government, a bellwether for better food regulation, categorized 4-methylimidazole as “known to cause cancer” earlier this year. Unfortunately, companies aren't required to disclose whether their coloring is made with ammonia, so you'd be wise to avoid it as much as you can.

Scary Ingredient #7: Sulfites
    Preservatives that maintain the color of food, and by releasing sulfur dioxide, prevent bacterial growth.

Why it's scary: Humans have used sulfites to keep food fresh for thousands of years, but some people—especially asthma sufferers—experience breathing difficulties when exposed. In the 1980s, unregulated use resulted in at least a dozen deaths, prompting the FDA to slap warning labels on wine bottles and develop new guidelines for proper use. Now restaurants can no longer soak fresh ingredients in sulfites. According to the Center for Science in the Public Interest, there have been no known deaths since the new legislation took hold. The bottom line: If you're among the majority of people not sensitive to sulfites, consumption won’t hurt you. If you're not sure, ask your doctor for a test.

Scary Ingredient #8: Azodicarbonamide

Why it's scary: This chemical is used most frequently in the production of industrial foam plastic, and although the FDA has approved its use for food in the States, the United Kingdom has labeled it a potential cause of asthma. In a review of 47 studies on azodicarbonamide, the World Health Organization concluded that it probably does trigger asthmatic symptoms. The WHO concluded, “exposure levels should be reduced as much as possible.” I’ll put it more concisely: Avoid it.
  • sociologywoman
    sociologywoman Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add my two cents... Gluten Intolerance is becoming more 'popular" simply because Gluten has now been added to so many products that are available on the market it's almost impossible NOT to ingest!! I did a lot of testing and then had a food allergy test administered. I showed that I had gluten sensitivities or intolerance and I was advised to eliminate it. There is enough supporting evidence available for the general market that shows that a lot of other problems people are facing can be caused by Gluten Sensitivities.

There are certainly people who say you "shouldn't" eliminate it. But here's the problem...when it is in everything (because it's used as a binding agent)...this is how people build up interolerances to items (and it can be to anything actually). Gluten is in sauces, condiments, breads, pastas, jello, crackers, cookies, etc etc etc etc... and you have to think...THESE are the staples of MOST of American's diet. Fewer people eat just fresh fruits/veg and lean proteins. Certainly in moderation, for most people gluten wouldn't be an issue....but most people do not eat these things or most things in moderation!!!

Some people with Celic disease point out the obvious that this is almost life threatening for their because their bodies attack when gluten is present. I have experienced severe reactions when I add gluten back into my diet....stomach upset, bloating, etc etc etc.. The biggest thing is not whether it's healthy or not...the biggest question is that is it healthy in HUGE doses!!! Just like you wouldn't sit down and eat trans fats in HUGE doses (or shouldn't) or eat HUGE amounts of Sugars, or Lard...etc etc... the same is true for Gluten... all of these Items can have extreme impacts on the body. Its up to people to educate themselves, the Internet is at basically every ones finger tips anymore. I don't think this is just a FAD...I think we will be seeing more and more reactions to these "additives" that have only been introduced over the past 30-40yrs with no real studies or looks at them or their side affects until recently.

Isn't sad that companies like Gaterade had an additive to drinks that was originally patented as a Flame Retardant. Or that Splenda is simply a Chlorine chemical with 3 sugar components attached...if you wouldn't drink bleach...why is it ok to consume it this way???? THESE are serious questions we should be asking!!!!

I totally agree with you.... Have you read the "Blood Sugar Solution" by Mark Hyman, he talks about this stuff in his book, very informative. Also another good read is the "Calcium Lie" by. Dr. Robert Thompson.

Yes gluten is in everything, and it just isn't regular gluten anymore it is a super gluten made from GMO Wheat...it is not the same stuff people ate 50-60 years ago... and it has been about that same amount of time you start to see the waist grow and health drop of the average american on the SAD diet (standard american diet).

Yes ALL artificial sweetners should be avoided at all costs along w/ High fructose corn syrup. That stuff is just bad for you!
    Why would you want to put a bunch of chemicals into your body?

I will definitely look into them!!! see my other post below.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I eat wheat... my tummy kills me (and everyone around me too)........

so I don't eat wheat. Simple.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    No I haven't read those books, I will definitely look into them. I have just done alot of my own research, education, and yes even reading research and debates on both sides.

I think someone said it best....if you eliminate something for a few weeks to a month and then add it back later and notice problems, then you probably have an intolerance to it!!

The problem is MOST of our foods come with additives that we KNOW nothing about and people don't question them. They are starting to find research that shows that many of the Red Dye can cause problems and hyper sensitivities in children...and yet Red Dye is in almost all of kids food products, juices, etc.... OUR great grandparents didn't deal with these issues, because they weren't trying to preserve "convenience" foods for months and years on end. People actually made their own foods.

The Government and "BIG FOOD" is not about our health or protection people!!! They are about the money, they lobby Congress and other Reps to get their products approved to be put into foods for human consumption, simply b/c it makes their food last longer, gives it a certain color or makes it "taste" better...but they fail to do any real human studies to see the long term affects... Look at # 8 Scary Ingredient #8: Azodicarbonamide

Why it's scary: This chemical is used most frequently in the production of industrial foam plastic, and although the FDA has approved its use for food in the States, the United Kingdom has labeled it a potential cause of asthma

Do you know....MANY foreign countries will not accept our foods, or products because of some of the added ingredients, as these countries have their own list of ingredients that are NOT allowed in foods.... and yet... WE don't ask questions!!!

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/eatthis/top-10-scariest-food-additives

Scary Ingredient #4: Potassium Bromate
    A compound that conditions flour and helps bread puff up during baking.

Why it’s scary: Potassium bromate causes thyroid and kidney tumors in rats, and it's banned from food use in many countries. In California, products containing potassium bromate are required to carry a cancer warning. Fortunately, negative publicity has made the additive relatively rare, but until the FDA banishes it, you should remain on the lookout.

Scary Ingredient #2: Caramel Coloring
    An artificial pigment created by heating sugars. Frequently, this process includes ammonia.

Why it’s scary: Caramel coloring shows up in everything from soft drinks and sauces to breads and pastries. When made from straight sugar, it's relatively benign. But when produced with ammonia it puts off 2-methylimidazole and 4-methylimidazole, chemicals that have been linked to cancer in mice. The risk is strong enough that the California government, a bellwether for better food regulation, categorized 4-methylimidazole as “known to cause cancer” earlier this year. Unfortunately, companies aren't required to disclose whether their coloring is made with ammonia, so you'd be wise to avoid it as much as you can.

Scary Ingredient #7: Sulfites
    Preservatives that maintain the color of food, and by releasing sulfur dioxide, prevent bacterial growth.

Why it's scary: Humans have used sulfites to keep food fresh for thousands of years, but some people—especially asthma sufferers—experience breathing difficulties when exposed. In the 1980s, unregulated use resulted in at least a dozen deaths, prompting the FDA to slap warning labels on wine bottles and develop new guidelines for proper use. Now restaurants can no longer soak fresh ingredients in sulfites. According to the Center for Science in the Public Interest, there have been no known deaths since the new legislation took hold. The bottom line: If you're among the majority of people not sensitive to sulfites, consumption won’t hurt you. If you're not sure, ask your doctor for a test.

Scary Ingredient #8: Azodicarbonamide

Why it's scary: This chemical is used most frequently in the production of industrial foam plastic, and although the FDA has approved its use for food in the States, the United Kingdom has labeled it a potential cause of asthma. In a review of 47 studies on azodicarbonamide, the World Health Organization concluded that it probably does trigger asthmatic symptoms. The WHO concluded, “exposure levels should be reduced as much as possible.” I’ll put it more concisely: Avoid it.

Yes--a lot of the problem that many people have with wheat bread often comes with the additives that ride along with the wheat. Bread today is hardly the food that our ancestors ate--it mostly bears little resemblance to what they ate. The additives are somewhat scary because we don't know the long-term effects. :frown:
  • malau90
    malau90 Posts: 2
    Options
    I don't eat any wheat if I can help it because eating bread or anything rich in wheat always just leaves me feeling full for, like, 20 minutes then I'm absolutely hungrier than I was before... Also, I get insanely bloated, I look like I'm pregnant with triplets if I eat like half a toast, haha. So yeah, don't care much for wheat.
  • Chichitas12
    Options
    Wow? People got really heated lol... I was simply asking if people who choose not to eat wheat saw an over all difference in their health, fitness and weight loss. I personally have tried doing no wheat for 2 wks once and saw a big difference in the way I felt... I have never been tested for any intolerances and went back to eating wheat because well... I love bread :D

On another note though... I am so glad everyone chose this to argue with one another instead of answering a very simple question you all have been totally helpful and to those of you who answered my question like I asked thanks! I appreciate it :) and to everyone else, you totally rambled on in *paragraphs... and I didn't even read them! Thank you as well... quite a popular post !
  • CaitlinEllwood
    Options
    I have a gluten intolerance and wheat doesn't agree with me so I don't eat it. Simple as that :)
  • kaylabdermer
    Options
    I'm gluten intolerant so I don't, straight after I bloat and have trouble breathing!