One month increased calories to TDEE no weight loss

Options
13»

Replies

• weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are weighing everything you eat. No eyeballing, no "free" foods, the only thing measured by volume should be free-pouring liquids.

I see a lot of "generic" entries in your diary. Enter your own recipes. That's the only way to be accurate.

I suspect you're underestimating your calories.

Completely agree with this one. Also, if you ever have "cheat meals/days" or "binges" or even just BLTs (bites, licks, tastes) of anything, all of those things need to be recorded with as much accuracy as possible. Honestly, if you are using generic entries, that's probably one of the biggest problems.

Also, I know that weight loss is your goal and preferrable, but would you rather be maintaining on 1200 calories or 1570? It sounds like you were maintaining at 1200, so to me it seems like maintaining at 1570 would be something of a success.

I do log everything I eat. I guess I'll have to measure every single thing I eat is what I am getting!!!

Log it, and, for the most accuracy, enter your own recipes. I saw generic - homemade curry. That can have a HUGE variation in calories. When I make a homemade tikka masala, I use half & half instead of cream, and my homemade recipe still has more calorie than some of the generic listings! The same for naan bread. Unless you have the NI for the bread you are using, 250 calories is such a generic listing. Not too long ago ate naan at a restaurant - had leftovers and 1/2 a piece of the naan bread from there weighed almost 3 oz, which tells me that 1 whole naan from that particular place is probably 5-6 oz and that would definitely be more than 250 calories.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    One thing that struck me going through your diary is that you aren't actually eating 1,570 a day anyway. I've gone back to Saturday 16th February and could only see 1-2 days in all of that time that you've hit 1,570.

On top of that, when I've gone back before Saturday 16th Feb I'm seeing this:

15th Feb
    Totals 903
    princesselle1's Daily Goal 2,400

14th Feb
    Totals 920
    princesselle1's Daily Goal 1,817

12th Feb
    Totals 606
    princesselle1's Daily Goal 1,981

11th Feb
    Totals 891

I've gone back to 1st Feb in your diary - so the month that you say you've been eating at 1,570 and in fact on a load of days you've been eating under 1,000.

I add my exercise in what ever I have done for the day and I don't eat that back!

You are under eating, and training your body to expect less. This is the wrong approach. You need to NET at least your BMR, which is still WAY under your TDEE.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    If you are eating your TDEE you will not lose weight. TDEE is what you eat to stay at maintenance. Try eating -10% or -20% TDEE.

Have you figured out your BMR too? This is the minimum amount of calories you should be eating so your body can function normally. It's advised you shouldn't ever eat below this number.

For most calculators, the difference between TDEE - 20% and MFP's suggestions + your exercise calories are pretty similar, so just compare your numbers. For me, MFP came out to be way too few calories for me.

For example, I'm 5'4" and 136lbs. My BMR is 1362. At lightly active, my TDEE is around 2100. I usually eat around 1900 calories.

This.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    One thing that struck me going through your diary is that you aren't actually eating 1,570 a day anyway. I've gone back to Saturday 16th February and could only see 1-2 days in all of that time that you've hit 1,570.

On top of that, when I've gone back before Saturday 16th Feb I'm seeing this:

15th Feb
    Totals 903
    princesselle1's Daily Goal 2,400

14th Feb
    Totals 920

12th Feb
    Totals 606
    princesselle1's Daily Goal 1,981

11th Feb
    Totals 891

I've gone back to 1st Feb in your diary - so the month that you say you've been eating at 1,570 and in fact on a load of days you've been eating under 1,000.

I add my exercise in what ever I have done for the day and I don't eat that back!

The issue is not that you are not eating them back, but that you are undereating and are considerably below the BMR and even the 1200.
  • alittlemopo
    alittlemopo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are eating enough of your calories, you almost never hit anywhere near the 1570, why would you reduce even more? I would eat at or very very close to the 1570 for a few weeks and see if the scale will budge. And definitely weigh and measure and use correct brands, etc for things as much as possible, there is a quite a variance sometimes.
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options

Eat it back.
  • Chickabittie
    Options
    bump for later reading, I too am in the process of upping my TDEE -20%.

I'm in the same boat. Good luck!
  • SillyFitMe
    SillyFitMe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have a few different mentions: First - what are your statistics? (age, weight, height, and activity level) Someone can help you clarify things that way.

Second, typically your TDEE is maintenance. Most people advise eating 20% less than it.

Third, occasionally when changing around your diet it takes a month and a half or so to see results.

Fourth, have you been ingesting too much sodium? Not enough water? Staying within your macros? All these things can screw with weight loss.

That a girl! All good questions to ask!
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I do log everything I eat. I guess I'll have to measure every single thing I eat is what I am getting!!!

Definitely weigh everything!

It's so easy to overestimate portion sizes by eye.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Did you "feel better inside" because your new workout isn't as challenging? That may be part of the reason.
  • jlsteele01
    jlsteele01 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I'd count calories to 1500 per day and exercise 30 min per day. If you aren't going to exercise, then you should eat roughly 1400. Doing that will get you weight loss for sure. And yeah, patience is #1.
  • princesselle1
    princesselle1 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    If you already have your exercise built in then yes just log exercise as one calorie otherwise MFP will add those exercise calories to your daily calorie goal.

I would definitely try eating closer to your 1500 calories for a few weeks and see if things start moving. Also keep in mind that you really don't have that much to lose so you should probably only be losing about 1/2 lb per week or so. Good luck!!

oh and patience is your best friend truly....

Thank you I'm going to try that!
  • princesselle1
    princesselle1 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your great advice and support! When your stuck and nothing makes sense it's great to get advice and see where your going wrong!

Well I am going to stay on my 1570 calories for another 2 weeks and measure everything I eat. I have started ripped in 30 today for my exercise and the day I don't exercise as jillian says one rest day I will eat 1400 calories!

I wil see how this goes for the next two weeks and hopefully I will lose something!! Fingers crossed!!

The advice has been fantastic thank you all!!! Xx
  • misskym
    misskym Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your great advice and support! When your stuck and nothing makes sense it's great to get advice and see where your going wrong!

Well I am going to stay on my 1570 calories for another 2 weeks and measure everything I eat. I have started ripped in 30 today for my exercise and the day I don't exercise as jillian says one rest day I will eat 1400 calories!

I wil see how this goes for the next two weeks and hopefully I will lose something!! Fingers crossed!!

I am glad you are still encouraged, but you need to ensure you are actually eating 1,570. Having a goal of 1,570 and netting below a 1,000 doesn't mean you're eating 1,570.

I suggest using a tape measure to track your measurements. Measurement movements are more likely to occur initially than scale movements. If you don't lose anything, yet you've lost an inch from your waist, that *is* a success and a testament that eating more than what you've been eating is working.

If you can (and haven't already), find your BMR. What you don't want to do is work out to the point where your net calories are below BMR. I use this example a lot when explaining things: if you are eating TDEE-15% and your value is 2,000, but your BMR is 1,500, you only have 500 calories to expend on exercise. So, if you exercise and expend 800 calories, you've just netted yourself 1,200 calories for the day. Unless your BMR is 1,200, this net is too low. You will want to eat back enough exercise calories to get your net *at* BMR, at the very least.

It takes patience.
  • Tracytxray
    Options
    bumping for later! good luck on your weight loss journey! I will use some of this advice as well!
  • Yani51
    Yani51 Posts: 48 Member
    Options

I very much agree with " measure everything I eat.". I am rather pedantic about this and I also check that the food item values I choose from the MFP database correspond closely to Calorie King's - http://www.calorieking.com.au/
    Too often the database in MFP has measures that are meaningless such as "Generic - Pan Fried Snapper, 1 serving 473 cal." Their "serving" is about double the calories of my usual serving of snapper. (Grilled is even lower in cals. and better for dieting anyway)