March Cycling Challenge

Options
Is March really here? Spring is in sight! Hopefully, with the changing seasons, cycling will get back into full swing. For those returning from previous threads, You Rock! For those just joining us, Welcome!

This is a very casual thread meant to encourage anyone that ever pedals. We welcome road riders, mountain bikers, spin classers (is that even a word? My thread, making up words is my perogative:wink: ), commuters, weekend riders, indoor while watching Dr Phil riders, Everyone!

You may post whatever you like: Some people keep a running total of rides, others post individual rides. You may post miles, minutes, cadence, speed, bum soreness, WHATEVER! Anything that keeps you motivated is welcome!

Happy Trails (or class, or Dr Phil)! Enjoy your rides! And send some warm weather my way to melt all this snow so that I can get out, too!

Replies

• jehavin
    jehavin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Going for 20 miles a week this month, so 80-100 total. Doing my shorter, more intense workouts has actually gotten harder for me, so I'm going to focus on the hour-long rides a couple times a week. Hopefully that will build up my endurance for some summer road-rides! Good luck to everyone---hope March is a great cycling month =)
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Going for 20 miles a week this month, so 80-100 total. Doing my shorter, more intense workouts has actually gotten harder for me, so I'm going to focus on the hour-long rides a couple times a week. Hopefully that will build up my endurance for some summer road-rides! Good luck to everyone---hope March is a great cycling month =)

When is your baby due? During my first pregancy, I tried to use the reclining bike in our apartments gym. My legs kept banging into my belly so I gave up. I think that you are amazing!
  • jehavin
    jehavin Posts: 316 Member
    Options

When is your baby due? During my first pregancy, I tried to use the reclining bike in our apartments gym. My legs kept banging into my belly so I gave up. I think that you are amazing!

Baby is due the first week of May. With my last pregnancy, I used my upright NordicTrac until the day before I went in for my scheduled C-section.

This time, I use the bikes at the gym, and I am having the same issue with the recumbent getting "uncomfortable" the faster I pedal and causing contractions, so I have scooted the seat back and upped my resistance. =) I do that for 30 minutes and then switch to the next bike over (upright) and do 30 more minutes, which puts no pressure on my belly at all. Hopefully I can stick with that routine a little longer!

Thanks! I really am so glad to see the miles everyone else posts, too =) I love feeling like we're all in this together!
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Totally in - need to train for my Triathlon in September so need to get up to 74km

I'm easily at 20km, but due to lack of road knowledge & recent weather I havent gone further, now time to explore :smile:

Can't wait to hear about everyone's challenge :drinker:
  • brocksmom
    brocksmom Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thanks KC for this thread:smile:
    It really keeps me going.

Karen
  • anna_belle08
    Options
    Sweet! I'm a mountain biker! I was wondering where the bikers were on MFP. I'm planning to go demo some Trek bikes tomorrow morning. Looking into getting a full suspension. Super excited!! Mountain top!
  • Wooken3
    Wooken3 Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Mar 1: 14.6 miles bike
    Mar Total: 14.6
    Mar Goal: 250
    % of Total: 5.8%

I'm IN and the strategy this month is not to have to peddle like #@& during the last week to make goal. :bigsmile:

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :drinker:

0054.gif
  • gokarty
    gokarty Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm an elderly gent who has been into bicycling for several years. I usually ride at least a mile everyday even if it is to go to lunch. Tomorrow I'll be doing 24 miles here in Central California. I ride in 3 or 4 organized rides a year and I guess I'm hooked. When I'm on the ride I always wonder "what was I thinking?" but as soon as I'm finished, I start looking forward to the next one.
  • brocksmom
    brocksmom Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I mean CK:blushing:
  • Wooken3
    Options
    Mar 2: 14.3 miles bike
    Mar Total: 28.9
    % of Total: 11.6%

9e3b35c41fc5b302a056b0a2c9ee38a9.jpg
  • maxroadrash
    maxroadrash Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    in
  • CDGolden
    CDGolden Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    In and mileage will follow.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    Excellent - I was hoping that someone would do a "general, month long" challenge - my "classics challenge" is only really a bit of fun for the "weekend warriors" and it's great to have something that keeps the motivation going all month...

so, with that, I reckon i'm in for 805km for march (per my training diary)

1/3/2013 - 42.96km - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/278898899 - IF 0.661 (easy day)
    2/3/2013 - 104.06km - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/279277532 - IF 0.892 (less easy :laugh:)

Running Total - 147.02km (18% of target)
  • SuzieBikiniBound
    SuzieBikiniBound Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi- this sounds great! I would like to cycle more this month, however I'll be doing it inside- either in a spin class or on my Trek + indoor trainer. I'll be tracking by minutes, though.
  • CDGolden
    CDGolden Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    and some numbers

March 1...15.5 miles (work commute home) http://connect.garmin.com/activity/279552730
    March 2....40 miles (MFP Strade Bianchi) http://connect.garmin.com/activity/279545698
  • Wooken3
    Options
    Mar 3: 15.2 miles bike
    Mar Total: 44.1
    % of Total: 17.6%

a0c0382b9dd4f7fcc6535c61b370933e.jpg
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Welcome One and All!
  • Searedtuner
    Searedtuner Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'll give this a try, why not? I haven't cycled really in a few years so I'll check back here to see what's up.
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Yep I'm in :-) Nice to keep a tally somewhere and see cyclists of all different types all with the same aim - to RIDE :-)

I'm hoping to turn the heat up a bit in March after a slow start to the year. Let's go for 125 miles as I know opportunities for weekend rides are a bit scarce this month.
  • sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I'll give this a try, why not? I haven't cycled really in a few years so I'll check back here to see what's up.

Because they are predicting a few inches of snow in various parts of the state this week? Really, I know a few people that ride in snow, but I am not one of them. Come spring though, and I will be pulling in some distance, but not in the cold. Just not my thing.