Need serious advice from someone who has been there

Options
13»

Replies

• pienthesky32
    pienthesky32 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I think the only thing to change is your perspective, and find your patience. If you are eating foods you are happy with eating for the rest of your life, enjoy the ride. You are doing terrific, but as you build muscle, you may need to eat a bit more. I wouldn't suggest less.
  • ladyfyre13
    Options
    I hate to reply because I am no expert. I started the Plan by Lyn-genet Recitas and it teaches us what foods are right for us as individuals. It might be worth taking a look at. It teaches us to listen to our bodies reactions to food. So far it has been a Godsend. Nothing else has worked for me, including weight watchers. "It's not about calories, it's about chemistry" and I totally believe that.

Stacie
  • Lovlilyn
    Lovlilyn Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say that 13lbs in less than 8 weeks is great. That's more than 1lb a week, and it's a very healthy weight loss rate. I would be thrilled to have that rate.

That said, I totally understand about the up/down scale thing and have it get to your head. I've been in that place for 11 weeks, so talk to me in another two months :-)

I think you should keep doing EXACTLY what you have been doing - especially if you like it and it works for your lifestyle. Give it another week or two to have the weight "shake loose". When I was on WW, we called it the "Whoosh Fairy" - as in "the Whoose Fairy visited and I lost 4 (5, 6) lbs in one week.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    You don't need tricks, a dietary revamp, or to stop eating at a certain time of day. It's normal to lose a lot at first then slow down.

You are active- please don't listen to the people telling you to eat fewer calories. Derby is pretty intense- you don't want to lose muscle or energy. I don't think you are eating enough- your diary has large deficits on a lot of days. Eating too little will stall you out for sure, and won't create the lean an capable body that you are going for.

Search on the threads for TDEE-20% and "In place of a road map."

Rock on! :drinker:

Thanks, I actually retired derby the end of last season so I haven't been practicing like that in quite a few months. I guess I need to update my profile, huh? 4 years of derby actually made me gain weight if anything! Lol
    I appreciate your feedback though & will keep it in mind. I try to eat all my calories just some days it doesn't work out like that and I end up with the choice of either eating a bunch right before bed OR end the night in a deficit. So I choose to end in a deficit and try to plan better next time. Would a few days of slight deficit here & there throw my body into a plateau though? I've read a bunch about this stuff & though I could possibly be eating more, but I don't think it's to the point where I'm definitely eating too little. Do you agree? I think I just need to plan better on those days.

Hey, once derby, always derby I would think ; ) I bet you still have some pretty good muscle mass, though!

I agree, it's not a few days here and there that matter, but what you do most of the time... I really think that the slow-down is normal, and there is some great advice on the thread here. I had the same experience- I got serious Jan 2 this year and dropped 8 pounds in 3 weeks. Now I am losing .5 per week, just like MFP predicts at 1500 cal net per day. It was way more exciting to lose faster. It's tempting to try and eat lower, but I'm in this for the long haul so I'm being patient. I have no interest in training my body to get by on 1200 calories! I love food.

I'd say trust the process and be patient!
  • thatcrazykat
    thatcrazykat Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Loosing only 1-2 lbs a week may seem slow going, but remember you are in this to keep off the weight and form healthy habits in the long run. You are doing all the right things, I myself had to adjust my carbs down to 20%. Apparently my body hates breads, grains, etc. and feels like it needs to hang on to them. Maybe try less carbs and sugar? And 12-16 cups of water? Good for you, I might drown. :)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    not sure if this will help but i used to eat totally clean, paleo 100%, and whenever i'd eat nuts i'd gain or stop losing. and i LOVE nuts, but i gave them up. i never lost very well on paleo. i gave it up and switched to weight watchers and the weight is coming off very well, but i eat maybe 1100 cals a day, sometimes a little less, but i eat a LOT (mainly in the form of salads, loads of veggies, etc) minimal fruit, some breads, etc. --if it were me, and i know there would be lots of disagreement to this, but if it were ME, i'd lower my cals a bit and ditch the nuts. :sad:

Damn! Even but butters? Those are my usual fix! I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it out. Although I'm not necessarily eating a paleo diet... I guess slightly similar to it though. Basically cut out about 95% processed foods and am trying to eat a "clean" diet. I still eat legumes, grains and sometimes cheese (in moderation). I also try to buy organic when possible.

I don't necessarily agree with that advice you were given above. That is the first time that I've seen someone who says they were 100% Paleo and it didn't "work". Although I do know people who found the lifestyle too "restrictive" but they all did get healthier while on it. I also think WW sucks big time, and I have lots of experience to base that opinion on. Their philosophies caused many health problems for my mom, myself and other extended family members. Until last year I was still paying $22 per month just to use the food tracker which used points but gave me zero info on macros. However, one thing I disagree with about Paleo is not tracking food for everyone. For some of us, the macro ratio is VERY important, especially at the start of our health journey.

In my opinion, 30% fat is way way too low. Of course, I think your carbs are too high. But nevermind. You are actually doing well.

You only have 19 pounds left to lose, and you lost three pounds in one month? That's actually very rapid weight loss. I do not understand why you are disappointed. I still have 40-50 left to lose and I lost 2 pounds last month. Not bad either. If you have a finish line for your lifestyle, then you won't have permanent success. It isn't a race.
  • OliveBruises
    OliveBruises Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    not sure if this will help but i used to eat totally clean, paleo 100%, and whenever i'd eat nuts i'd gain or stop losing. and i LOVE nuts, but i gave them up. i never lost very well on paleo. i gave it up and switched to weight watchers and the weight is coming off very well, but i eat maybe 1100 cals a day, sometimes a little less, but i eat a LOT (mainly in the form of salads, loads of veggies, etc) minimal fruit, some breads, etc. --if it were me, and i know there would be lots of disagreement to this, but if it were ME, i'd lower my cals a bit and ditch the nuts. :sad:

Damn! Even but butters? Those are my usual fix! I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it out. Although I'm not necessarily eating a paleo diet... I guess slightly similar to it though. Basically cut out about 95% processed foods and am trying to eat a "clean" diet. I still eat legumes, grains and sometimes cheese (in moderation). I also try to buy organic when possible.

I don't necessarily agree with that advice you were given above. That is the first time that I've seen someone who says they were 100% Paleo and it didn't "work". Although I do know people who found the lifestyle too "restrictive" but they all did get healthier while on it. I also think WW sucks big time, and I have lots of experience to base that opinion on. Their philosophies caused many health problems for my mom, myself and other extended family members. Until last year I was still paying $22 per month just to use the food tracker which used points but gave me zero info on macros. However, one thing I disagree with about Paleo is not tracking food for everyone. For some of us, the macro ratio is VERY important, especially at the start of our health journey.

In my opinion, 30% fat is way way too low. Of course, I think your carbs are too high. But nevermind. You are actually doing well.

You only have 19 pounds left to lose, and you lost three pounds in one month? That's actually very rapid weight loss. I do not understand why you are disappointed. I still have 40-50 left to lose and I lost 2 pounds last month. Not bad either. If you have a finish line for your lifestyle, then you won't have permanent success. It isn't a race.

I appreciate your feedback all the way up until the last paragraph. I said I was starting to feel a bit discouraged and I wanted to make sure I was on the right track. There is nothing wrong with me double checking to make sure I'm doing things right. Especially when I don't even know if my macros are set right AND there is so much talk on the forums about eating too little and what not. I'd rather ask now than find out 2 months from now that I was doing things wrong. I thought I made it very clear that my head was in the right place & all I needed was some reassurance, NOT some accusations.