Pregnancy 2010 - June

Options

Replies

• Caliwaters25
    Options
    Shoppinqueen34- Thanks for the comment I know that exercising is super important and I think I will try it out and see how I feel. I am just so scared to strain anything b/c i heard if you do so early in your pregnancy it stays with you. So because of that I wont be playing softball this summer I am usually in the rover position and I usually get a run to first base, it will be hard to just cheer everyone on from the sidelines.

00Angela00- Your picture looks really cute, you look great!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Challenge Question:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I am most excited to buy a glider and rocking chair. I love those things and I think I may live in it for the first month with my baby.

Good Luck to all those that will TTC this summer have fun and don't stress. To everyone else hope you have a great week
  • yessie75
    yessie75 Posts: 152
    Options
    Angela - I think you look very cute on your picture:flowerforyou: . I also like the food posts, they're very interesting (I would pass on the achovies, though)
    The one thing i want to buy with this baby is a swing/glider. I just never thought I would need one, but now with a toddler and a baby, i will probably use it.
  • shoppingqueen34
    shoppingqueen34 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Challenge question -

I can't wait to get my jogging stroller! I love to run, I ran up until about week 20, after that it was too hard to breathe. I can't wait to pack up the kid and do our first 5 or 10k together! :)
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Challenge question -

I can't wait to get my jogging stroller! I love to run, I ran up until about week 20, after that it was too hard to breathe. I can't wait to pack up the kid and do our first 5 or 10k together! :)

I love the idea of doing my first 5 or 10k with my baby boy. Great idea!
  • shoppingqueen34
    Options
    Challenge question -

I love the idea of doing my first 5 or 10k with my baby boy. Great idea!

I've done a few in the past and always see mom's and dad's with their strollers. Just think it's the coolest thing! We have an annual 5/10K on Thanksgiving morning called the Turkey Trot here in Detroit. I did the 10k last year and it was a blast....my goal to get back into shape after baby is to run the 5k (even the 10k if I really want to push myself) this year. No baby with me this year. But there's a Detroit Zoo Run in September I can do with her next year :) So excited!
  • paldal
    paldal Posts: 154
    Options
    Angela, Shoppingqueen, Yessie -- it's so interesting to read your baby-gaga "status" updates. All 3 of you are so close together in your due dates, guess whatever month it was must have been a cold one.
  • shoppingqueen34
    Options
    Angela, Shoppingqueen, Yessie -- it's so interesting to read your baby-gaga "status" updates. All 3 of you are so close together in your due dates, guess whatever month it was must have been a cold one.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Yep - December :tongue:
  • shoppingqueen34
    Options
    Just found a pretty cool website that calculates over 200 activities based on your weight. It's supposed to be pretty accurate.....

http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/calculat.htm
  • 00Angela00
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Yep - December :tongue:

yup december for me too haha, New years eve conception to be exact. haha
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    Went in for my OB appt yesterday and have gained too much weight. :-( Their scale put me at 179 when I went in which means I've gained 17lbs so far. I'm only supposed to gain 20ish the whole pregnancy. :-( I know there's room for improvement in my diet so I'll be working on that, but I just feel upset and disappointed. And before I get the responses, I won't do anything drastic, I know I have to eat, I wont be starving myself and will work on eating the healthy stuff and somehow ignor these cravings (snickers! ice cream!)
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    Didn't someone recently post a link to a website with a whole bunch of pics of baby rooms etc?! I can't find the link and I thought I emailed the link to myself, but can't find it :-(
  • shoppingqueen34
    Options
    Didn't someone recently post a link to a website with a whole bunch of pics of baby rooms etc?! I can't find the link and I thought I emailed the link to myself, but can't find it :-(

http://projectnursery.com/ - my FAVE!!!!!!!!!
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    lol, I JUST found your link *sigh, that was a lot of posts to go through haha, thanks!
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    100 Healthiest Foods to Eat During Pregnancy

1st Trimester

APPLESAUCE
    Applesauce is a great food for event he pickiest eaters. But it's a perfect food for any mothers-to-be who are suffering from morning sickness! Applesauce is gentle on your stomach. It's packed with Valuable nutrients for you and your baby. And it's a good source of fluid to help you stay hydrated. Grab a spoon and dig into some applesauce - it's one of the very best foods for your first trimester.

* Flavonoids in the skin of apples are great antioxidants that help keep your body healthy by fighting off damaging free radicals, and they help support your immune system so you dont' catch a cold or the flu

* Fuji apples have th greatest amount of phenolic and flavonoid compounds, and they are very high in antioxidant activity. Red delicious apples are a close second

* If you're making applesauce from scratch, be sure to leave the skin on since it's where you'll find a lot of the apple's healthy compounds.

* The best way to eat your applesauce - homemade or store-bought - is organic. Organic fruits and vegetables are grown witout pesticides and herbicides, which means they are healthier for you.

* Researchers have found that organically grown fruits and vegetable have higher camounts of flavonoids annd other nutrients than conventionally grown food, making an organic apple or applesauce a super-healthy choice.

* When you choose apples for their flavonoid content, remember: the redder, the better!

* Fatigue is a major symptom of the first trimester and can leave some women feeeling really lethargic. The antioxidants like the ones found in organic applesauce can help.

* Quercetin is a powerful flavonoid found in apple skin and other produce like citrus fruits and onions. Quercetin battles with free radicals to prevent them from damaging the cells in your body - not to mention your baby's developing cells. Your body has to spend a lot of energy repairing the damage so eating foods that are packed with antioxidants can save your body energy.

* Apples are among the most heavily sprayed produce in North America. Pesticides are toxic to your body and are even more damaging to your vulnerable growing baby.

* If organic is not available, use water or a special fruit and vegetable wash to wash the wax off the peel of your apple, since mst of the pesticides end up in or just beneath the peel. But don't peel your apples, because the skin is what hols the majority of the antioxidants and vitamins!

THE RICHES ANTIOXIDANT FOODS
    The US department of agriculture conducted a comprehensive study of the antioxidant content of more than 100 commonly consumed foods in 2004. Not surprisingly, the top of the list was dominated by fruits and vegetables. Some of the highes-randing antioxidant-rich vegetables and fruits on the list were wild blduberries, cultivated blueberries, cranberries, artichoke hearts, blackberries, Red delicious apples, granny smith apples, raspberries, prunes, strawberries, black plums, cherries, russet potatoes, plums, and Gala apples.

JONNY'S TASTY TIPS
    Believe it or not, it's super-esy to make your own applesauce! And when you make it yourself, you know it's healthy.

Here's all you have to do: Buy a mix of organic apples, including some red-skinned apples for those all-important antioxidant flavonoids and some tart, crisp apples like Granny Smith.

Once you get your apples home, wash, slice, and core them and then toss the slices into a deep, heavy pot. Cook them covered on very low heat, stirring frequently to prevent sticking, until they soften and can be stirred into the thick but soupy consistency of applesauce.

Want to up the ante? Add even more antioxidant oomph by tossing in some fresh cranberries or a little pure cranberry juice. You can also stir in a little spire in the form of cinnamon or ginger to add antioxidants and help quell morning sickness

Store your homemade sauce in the fridge in a sealed container or can it for long-term storage. Besides eating it plain, you can use it as a topping for pancakes, yogurt, or frozen yogurt. Yum!!
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    100 Healthiest Foods to Eat During pregnancy

2ND TRIMESTER

CHIA SEEDS
    Ever heard of chia seeds? If they're a new food to you, you're not alone. This relatively unknown seed is popular in South America, and it's gaining popularity in North America as a health food. Chia seeds contain leots of healthy nutrients for you and your baby, including amino acids and fiber. But chia seeds' real claim to fame is their omega-3 fatty acid content.

* The omega-3 fatty acid content is even higher in chia seeds than in the previous king of omega-3 seeds, flaxseeds.

* Chis seeds contain about 5,000mg of omega-3 fatty acids per ounce. Flaxseeds contain about half of that amount per ounce. (Don't toss your flaxseeds, though: They also have high lignan content. Lignans are fats known for their ability to help battle conditions caused by hormone imbalances, like PMS and menopausal symptoms such as hot flashes,a nd for promoting breast and prostate health).

* What's so great about omega-3s? Omega-3 fatty acids are essential, which means that your body needs them for health but can't produce them; you have to consume them. The type of omega-3 fatty acid found in plant seeds, like chia seeds, is alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) which results in healthier cells in your boyd, which means your brain, nerves, skin, and other organs can work better.

* One ounce of chis seeds also contains 11 g of fiber, 4 g of protein, and 9 g of fat (most of which is good fat). Chis seeds are a well-balanced source of energizing nutrients.

* Chia seeds contain about a third of your daily recommended intake of phosphorus and about 25% of your needs of manganese, two minerals needed for proper development of your baby's skeletal system.

* An ounce of chia seeds also contains about 180 mg calcium, another crucial mineral for bone development.

JONNY'S TASTY TIPS
    You may remember sprouting chia seeds on those infamous clar figures known as "chia pets" in the 1980's. You can even still find chia pets for sale, but please, don't try eating the seeds in those packages! Instead, look for chia seeds in your local health food store. You don't have to prout them: Just add them to a smoothing or sprinkle them on top of cereal or jogurt for a fast, easy nutrition boost.

PREVIOUS POSTS
    1st Timester:

ALMONDS: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/100150-almonds-1st-trimester-healthiest-foods
    ANCHOVIES: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/100146-anchovies-1st-trimester-healthiest-foods-during-pregnancy
    APPLESAUCE: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/100145-applesauce-1st-trimester-healthiest-foods

2nd trimester:

AVOCADO: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/100148-avocado-2nd-trimester-healthiest-foods
    BASIL: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/100147-basil-2nd-trimester-healthiest-foods
    CHIA SEEDS: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/100153-chia-seeds-2nd-trimester-healthiest-foods

3rd Trimester:
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    100 Healthiest Foods to Eat During Pregnancy

3RD TRIMESTER

BLACK BEANS
    A favorite in Mexican dishes, black beans (also known as turtle or black turtle beans) are a tasty and nutritious addition to your pregnancy diet. The Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry reported that black beans are as rich in antioxidant compounds called anthocyanins as grapes and cranberries, two fruits that are antioxidant starts. Try adding black beans into your diet - they're packed with nutrients that you and your baby need.

* Black beans are also a good source of manganese, iron, thiamin, phosphorus, and magnesium.

* 1 cup of black beans have an astounding 15 g of fiber, more than half of your daily needs. Plus, there's tons of folate (over 250 mcg per cup).

* Black beans are an excellent source of the trace mineral molybdenum. This is definitely one of the lesser known minerals, but it's role in the boyd is nothing to ignore. Molybdenum is an integral component of the enzyme sulfite oxidase, which is responsible for detoxifying sulfites. Sulfites are a type of preservative commonly added to prepared foods like delicatessen salads and salad bars and even to dried fruit.

* A cup of black beans has about 180 mg of that famous feel-good compound tryptophan. tryptophan is an essential amin acid, which is your body is used to make niacin (a B vitamin) and serotonin (a feel-good hormone that is thought to stabilize mood and promote sleep). With baby kicking and squeezing your insides, sleep can be hard to come by right now, so eat your beans before bedtime!

* MEAT EQUIVALENT. These smoky-flavored beans are a good source of protein. If you eat them with a whole grain, such as whole wheat poasta or brown rice, or corn, it provides a protein comparable to that of meaat or dairy foods without the high calories or saturated fat found in these foods.

JONNY'S TASTY TIPS
    You may have seen black bean salsa's selling for big bucks in gourmet stores and catalogs. But it's so easy to make your own. There's no excuse for spending the money. Take a can of black beans, a package of frozen corn, and a jar of salsa that's the heat you like it. I love adding minced fresh cilantro and a finely chopped fresh sweet onion to the mix, too. Stir them together and enjoy this incredibly tasty dip!

Another all-time favorite is black bean soup. Yum!! It adds a ton of flavorful nutrients to a basic can or two of black beans. The way I make it is fast and easy, too. I saute chopped sweet onion and minced garlic in olive oil with whole cumin seed, black mustard seed, and plenty of dried Greek oregano. Then I add diced green pepper and diced paste tomatoes, splash in a little fresh-squeezed lemon juice and a dollop of hot sauce, and toss in a couple of cans of black beans. When it's bubbling, I mash the beans with a potatoe mashed to make the soup thick and rich. After stirring well, I serve up this luscious soup with a dollop of plain yogurt and some minced cilantro on top. YOu can pour it in a bown over a scoop of brown rice for a complete protein meal. And don't forget, leftovers make the ideal dip for chips or veggie sticks!

PREVIOUS POSTS
    1st Timester:

ALMONDS: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/100150-almonds-1st-trimester-healthiest-foods
    ANCHOVIES: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/100146-anchovies-1st-trimester-healthiest-foods-during-pregnancy
    APPLESAUCE: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/100145-applesauce-1st-trimester-healthiest-foods

2nd trimester:

AVOCADO: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/100148-avocado-2nd-trimester-healthiest-foods
    BASIL: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/100147-basil-2nd-trimester-healthiest-foods
    CHIA SEEDS: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/100153-chia-seeds-2nd-trimester-healthiest-foods

3rd Trimester:
    BLACK BEANS: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/100156-black-beans-3rd-trimester-healthiest-foods
  • yolie1220
    yolie1220 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    pre-preg wt: 127.5
    current wt: 168
    total gain: 40.5

Hello ladies! I am 35 weeks today and I have gained 40 pounds so far :grumble: I will be having a planned c-section in 3-4 weeks and then it is diet time for me! I can't wait to lose some of this weight, I feel humongous! Here is a pic of me at 32 weeks
    DSCI0476.jpg
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    Wow, you're so close to your baby being born! Congrats! You look so small in your pic I was surprised to read that you've gained 40 lbs. This forum is great for motivation to stay and get healthy :-D
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    FOR EVERYONE TRYING TO GET PREGNANT I'LL START A FERTILITY SECTION TOO :-D

from the book: 100 Healthiest Foods to Eat During Pregnancy

IMPROVE FERTILITY

ARUGULA
    Blast off to good health with these delicious peppery greens. Arugula, also known as rocket, is a sophisticated change from the usual lettuce in any favorite salad recipe, and it's packed with nutrients that may support healthy fertility.

* Green leafy vegetables are the ultimate superfood. One of the most nutrient-packed vegetables, leafy greens contain amino acids, iron, f\olate, B vitamins, antioxidants, and countless other nutrients that not only hel your body function properly but also help fight off disease. So arugula is not just a great addition to your fertility diet but also a great addition throughout your pregnancy and postpartum diets.

* Always look for the freshest arugula; it should be dark green and lush. Avoid buying arugula that's even beginning to turn yellow or limp. Aging leaves contain few nutrients and simply taste terrible.

* You'll love the spicy flavor of arugula s well as its dark green color and beautiful shape. It makes a gogeous salad and goes well with less common salad ingredients, such as grapefruit or orange selections.

* A man's ideal meal may not be a pretty salad of arugula with a few slices of pink grapefruit and some red onion, but put your masculine pride aside, boys, and dig in. Arugula is a good source of folate. In one and a half cups of arugula, there are 30mcg of folate. Folate is an important nutrient that's needed for male fertifily (effects a man's ability to produce sperm with the beest genetics)

* Healthy sperm is vital to conception. Most importantly, the genetic material a sperm contains needs to be perfect. A study showed that men twho consumed more folate had fewer sperm with genetic problems.

* Arugula is also a good source of vitamins A, C, and K. Plus, Aarugula contains 15 mg of choline. THis nutrient is not well known, but it is vital to your baby's growth and health. Choline is important for early devlopment because it plays a role in brain development.

* A bone building bonanza, arugula contains calcium, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, and manganese. All of these nutrients help ensure that your bones are strong and healthy. This is important as you start your pregnancy since your baby needs a lot of calcium and minerals from your body in order to grow.

JONNY'S TASTY TIPS
    Is arugula an aphrodisiac? Well, that's what the ancient Egyptians and Romans thought. I don't know about that, but I do know that it's the uberfood of nutritional bargains: Not only is it packed iwth vitamins, minerals, and carotenoids, one cup contains a whopping 5 calories!

If you haven't tasted arugula, you are in for one fabulous treat. Those little leaves pack a big, spicy flavor and a rich, meaty texture that will make your mouth water. Arugula's outsized flavor helps it stand up to bold ingredients in a salad, whether you like yours with citrus, almonds, and shaved Parmesan (try a dressing of lemon juice and extra-virgin olive oil on this) or anchovies, feta, and kalamatoa olives (with a classic Greek dressing or a simple olive oil-balsamic vinegar mix). Or try this favorite: a bed of arugula topped with grilled portobello mushrooms and a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar or your favorite marinade.

But arugula's not just for salads. You can use it any way you'd use spinach: Just wilted in the water it's washed in and served with a splash of balsamic viegar; sauteed in a little olive oil with minced onion or garlic; or added to omelets, soups, or lentil stew (it's great in black bean soup and as a topping for refried beans, too).

PREVIOUS POSTS
    Fertility Foods:

ARUGULA: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/100458-arugula-healthiest-foods-for-fertility

1st Timester:

2nd trimester:

3rd Trimester:

BLACK BEANS: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/100156-black-beans-3rd-trimester-healthiest-foods
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    100 HEALTHIEST FOODS TO EAT DURING PREGNANCY

1st Trimester

BANANAS
    Peel a banana and take a bite or slice or mash it into your diet. Why? Because there are so many fabulous nutrients in banansa, plus they're easy on your stomach. One large banana contans 4 g of fiber and about 30% of your daily vitamin C and vitamin B6 needs.

* We've all heard that bananas are potassium-rich - a large banana contains about 480 mg of potassium, nearly one-fourth of your daily requirement.

* Banana's contain close to 40 mcg of folate which as we've seen is a very important nutrient for your baby's neural tube development. (The neural tube forms and closes in your first trimester, but the way, making it even more important to get plenty of folate right now!)

* Vitamin B6 helps regulate your sodium/potassium levels, which can be imbalanced if you're vomiting. Your large banana includes 0.5 mg of vitamin B6.

* For additional help, bananas are also a good source of magnesium (37 mg) and potassium (480 mg), minerals needed for healthy fluid balance. Perhaps this combination of fluid-balancing nutrients is why eating bananas after vomiting is a common "old-wives" home remedy.

* People who consume diets rich in potassium are 50% less likely to have a stroke compared to their non-potassium-consuming peers, according to a study recently publsihed in Neurology.

* Potassium fights high blood pressure

* A study at the University of California found that bananas may prevent osteoporosis in postmenopausal women.

Some pregnancy-related benefits to eating bananas:
    1) Adding bananas to your diet during pregnancy can help you keep your blood pressure at a healthy level. High blood pressure in later pregnancy can lead to complications such as eclampsia
    2) Getting plenty of calcium is vital if you're pregnant because your growing baby is pulling this mineral from your bones. If bananas can help postmenopausal women keep their bones healthy, they can help you, too.

* Bananas help keep low blood sugar levels and healthy cholesterol levels during pregnancy

JONNY'S TASTY TIPS
    Bananas and rice are a famous home remedy for an upset stomach, but if you're not feeling sick, try these instead: Alice a banana lengthwise and smear a little peanut butter on each cut side; or slice a banana into plain or vanilla yogurt; or add strawberries to make your own version of strawberry-banana.

You can make a great smoothie by blending a cup of yogurt, a sliced banana, and a cup of crushed ice until thick and smooth. Try it with plain togurt and a handful of fresh or frozen strawberries, a banana, and a splash of orange juice for a luscious, refreshing treat!

Craving ice cream? Make a healthy banana split with a banana cut lengthwise and topped with frozen yogurt, fresh berries, and sliced almonds. It is both decadent and delicious!

PREVIOUS POSTS
    Fertility Foods:

ARUGULA: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/100458-arugula-healthiest-foods-for-fertility

1st Timester:

BANANAS:

2nd trimester:

3rd Trimester: