Stuck in a rut... I've hit a plateau. Help!!

Options
I am 4 weeks in on my fitness and weight loss journey to loose 50 pounds. So far I've lost 18 pounds. That's great progress but now the scale won't move. I've amped my work-outs a half hour and I am eating clean. No sugar, no salt, no fat....and the weight is not budging. This is a lifestyle change for me and I'm trying not to get discouraged. Please help... any suggestions will be helpful and greatly appreciated !!!!

Replies

• terrassao
    terrassao Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I would suggest changing up your workout routine. If you usually do a lot of running, etc., do strength or yoga for a couple of days. Sometimes that shakes things up & the scale starts moving again. It's hard to not get discouraged, I know. But, stay focused & the weight will come off.
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    18 pounds in a month is a pretty big number---just keep doing what you're doing for a few more weeks and maybe your body will catch up. You may also need to recalculate your calories needed since losing almost 20 pounds.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    How long has your "plateau" been? How many calories are you eating? How often do you exercise and for how long?

And 18 lbs in 4 weeks is 4.5 lbs per week. A lot of that has been water and about 3 weeks in, the water balances itself and you see your true losses. Keep going with what you're doing.
  • YepLilly
    YepLilly Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Yes, how long has been this plateau? Maybe the scale is still moving but at a much slower pace. With around 30lbs to lose, 1.5-2 lbs per week sounds more reasonable.
  • szuluaga0611
    Options
    Thanks so much guys for your replies!!! The support is great to have. Its been two weeks since I haven't lost a pound. I do alot of cardio but because I wan't to get lean before I do any strength training. My goal is to loose 50 lbs to be at my target weight. I wanted to be mid-way when I started my strength training. My calorie intake is under 1200 always... I normally eat around 800-900 calories. I drink lots of water almost 14 8oz a day. What I thought maybe is my protein intake. I go over the number alloted. Not by much but its always over.
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys for your replies!!! The support is great to have. Its been two weeks since I haven't lost a pound. I do alot of cardio but because I wan't to get lean before I do any strength training. My goal is to loose 50 lbs to be at my target weight. I wanted to be mid-way when I started my strength training. My calorie intake is under 1200 always... I normally eat around 800-900 calories. I drink lots of water almost 14 8oz a day. What I thought maybe is my protein intake. I go over the number alloted. Not by much but its always over.

That's definitely too low of a number and your body will start fighting back. Do you know your BMR? You shouldn't be eating below that.
  • erin4455
    erin4455 Posts: 135
    Options

You're eating an extremely low number of calories and that's not doing your metabolism any favors. Your body has the ability to get used to the calories you're taking in and ultimately, thwarting your weight loss. When you start out that low, you have no where to go from there. If I were you, I'd start over and research your numbers - figure your TDEE and subtract 20 or 25% and have that be your new calorie goal. Unfortunately, you may see a weight gain at first from this change but you need to stick with it and get to a healthier place. Switch up your exercise routine in the meantime and most of all, be patient. You need to feed your body to get the long-term results you want. 800-900 calories is not sustainable, or healthy. I'm assuming you're in this for the long haul rather than looking for crash-diet results. Start over and prepare for a healthier route.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

If you truly want to understand how your body works and how you can make sure your numbers are right, read this. PM me with any questions.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

If you truly want to understand how your body works and how you can make sure your numbers are right, read this. PM me with any questions.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

^^^^^^THIS!!!!!!! Eat more!! Good luck.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I guessed straight off that you were eating too little. So common this happens. Eat more by following the link before you do any major damage to your health.
  • ctheluck
    ctheluck Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I agree with it being too little to lose.

You also mentioned that you aren't eating any fat. Your body needs some to function properly. Eat healthy fats like whole eggs, avocado, olive oil on your salads, olives. This will help with your low calories and with your body function overall.
  • smaynard69
    smaynard69 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't go off your weight. I've lost more inches than weight. Just hang in there you will get there.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of people on here that bash the 1200 calorie guideline - I'm not one of them and even I think you're not eating enough. Eat more!
  • LRuland
    LRuland Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree that's way too low cals to be eating. Your body is starving. You need to eat more so your body burns it and doesn't feel like it has to store it.
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options

I would suggest not waiting to strength train, strength training really revs up your metabolism throughout the day and your body will change alot more if you do both cardio and strength training.
  • jamimari777
    jamimari777 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Lift!! Lift weights and you'll lose inches. Weights made me lean. Lots of cardio makes me hungry. Now I do both, and I'm pleased wtih my results.

Weight lifting will not make you bulky. Lifting heavy will tone up those muscles and show off your hard work - help you burn fat. It's just a win win all the way around.
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Oh my god. Eat around 1700 calories, please.

Ok, but seriously, go figure out your BMR and daily caloric intake you should be taking on - http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ - This will help you figure out what you should be taking in while also accounting for your weekly exercise levels.
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Eat more calories about 200-300 per day for about a week and then go back to your usual calorie intake. You have to reset your metabolic thermostat.

At least that worked for me.

I am sure I will get crucified because of this post by many so let the hating begin! :D
  • FiveElevenClimb
    Options
    never posted a picture before but this is what I have found to be true. The green line is what you may think weight loss looks like but it actually happens as shown by the blue line. Don't be discouraged.

2011wlc_725graph1.jpg
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    You say you want a life style change, but under 1200 calories is not sustainable (as people keep telling you). When you figure out your TDEE and BMR. Try for certain percentages of protein, carbs and fat. For me I try 40-50% Protein, 30-40% Carbs, and the rest in Fat (10-20%)

Also, consider this, Do you want to carry around a scale to show people how much you weight? or do you want a sculpted awesome body? Sometimes the scale is secondary to how your clothes fit and the shape of your body. Just food for thought.