Do you feel like a loser when u walk?

Options
2»

Replies

• MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Lol you are being hard on yourself! You'll get there!
  • LozPenguin
    LozPenguin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert so don't quote me on it lol, but I've heard it's actually good to do short bursts of intense excersize then slow down for a bit, then intense again then slow. Gives better results; so I don't think it's so bad if you need to slow down for a couple minutes during a run!
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    If you do the C25K it trains you to run with walking intervals to build your running up.
  • stepnerd
    stepnerd Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If you're getting off the couch, you're a winner. Setting your expectations too high will cause you to lose motivation very quickly.
    I would suggest that, instead of comparing yourself to your sister, compare yourself to you 6 weeks ago. Are you doing better? If yes, you're a winner. If no, see the first sentence in this post!!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    If you are doing more than 2 or 3 miles, this might help.

http://www.runningplanet.com/training/5K-interval-training-workouts.html
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Everyone starts out like you (except for maybe a few running prodigies). I started like you, and have been running for a little over a year now, and yes, you do get faster (but it takes a while), and you can run farther. I still take little walk breaks sometimes, though. Especially on really long runs (10 miles plus), going up hills, etc.

Just get out there, and do what you can - sounds like you are doing the right things. Don't push too hard to speed up by the way, just work on running a little farther at least one run per week, and the speed will come.
  • rustvaar
    rustvaar Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Never.

I've been walking to / from work for little over twelve months and I joined the gym four months ago and my entire routine has been around walking.

I've currently reached 10.5% incline at 6.2 km/h and will do this for one hour Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
    When walking to the office it's about two miles and I manage it in thirty to forty minutes and don't feel tired out / sweaty afterwards. (Compared to the three mile walk I used to undertake when I was 54 lbs heavier I'd arrive at work moist and uncomfortable)

In four months I'm down 54 lbs through walking and thinking about what I'm putting into my body.
    I don't know if I'll ever be running - my right knee got hurt in a fight some years ago - so in the meantime I'll walk quite happily.

And as stepnerd says - you're getting off the couch which is a win in its own right.

Best of luck and definitely don't feel bad for having to walk during your runs. You're already well ahead of me in that you can actually run! :)
  • Marquism123
    Marquism123 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    A different perspective perhaps, but it does sound to me like you really want to improve. Why don't you try, when you feel the need to stop and walk, pushing on running. Just a bit more. It is a cliche but it is true; the first mile is the hardest and then it DOES get easier. Keep telling yourself that and you will be amazed. Walk/ run programmes like C25K are massively popular and loads of people have great success with them, so I am absolutely not knocking them. My personal experience of learning to run, however, was that by including walk intervals I kept having to repeat that "hardest" first mile and it never got easier. Everyone's experience is different but running is as much of a mental battle as a physical one. If you can run 1 mile you can run 2. You just think you can't but you CAN!!!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    There's a whole school of people who do run/walk intervals for marathons. It's not crapping out to take a walk break if you need to. I've played around a bit with my times and have actually found on long runs that taking a small brisk walk break once in a while improves my over all time.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    It's all about working your way up in a controlled manner. I didn't start running intelligently and I hurt my foot (Planar Faciatias). I'd seriously recommend Couch to 5K and by the time you are done you'll probably be able to run a 5k unbroken.

Look up Hal Higdions training plans. They'll get you going. But until then walking in the middle of the run isn't failure. You are still going and you are moving circles around everyone on the couch :P
  • rousehouse
    rousehouse Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    No, not at all. It's a good idea to rest a bit before picking up again (interval training). As you keep running, you'll find that you can run longer/faster while maintaining a lower heart rate than you currently do. But for now, take a break every once in a while and walk. If you still feel like you're not doing enough, increase your incline for some additional resistance when walking.

Couldn't have said it better. Don't worry about it and have fun.
  • dstromley1
    dstromley1 Posts: 165
    Options
    Look up HIIT. OR high intensity interval training. Great training method i use it every cardio day, Run full speed for a min walk for a min back and forth, you can change the times as needed,
  • wannaberunner33
    wannaberunner33 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. Other than the elevated heartrate, I think most of my trouble is mental. I need to remind myself that I CAN do this - just keep going. Maybe that's a mantra that even the most advanced runner needs to use sometimes. I will keep chugging along :)