Carbs are in EVERYTHING good...So frustrating

Options

Replies

• misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    No food should be vilified. Food is just food. It's fuel. I don't cut out anything I want. I just do my best to eat what I think will keep me feeling good and will fuel my workouts. That probably is not going to be a lot of candy on a regular basis. But, if I want candy, I eat it.

It's just food people. Eat it. Stay within your calorie goal.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    There are many that believe that "low carb" is necessary for their success, and they may very well be correct. However, I believe the vast majority of people can find success by focusing on a minimum of protein and fats (for health) and keeping their overall calories at an appropriate level.

So my advice is to focus on that first, and see if the "normal" calories approach works for you. It probably will.
  • 80sFanatic88
    80sFanatic88 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Weird, I haven't had that problem. Carbs are in breads and grains right? I suppose I don't eat much rice or bread. What goes over my goal is usually protein. Which is odd since I'm vegetarian. Not sure which is worse. Probably fat would be the worst one to keep going over the goal.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    As a diabetic I have to watch my carb intake but there is a difference in the carbs from natural sugar, oranges, bananas, apples etc, and refined sugars. My nutritionist said for a male my size I can have 60 Grams per meal 15ish per snack. I believe for a woman in the class it was 35-45 per meal and 10-15 per snack and they said to eat a meal, snack, meal, snack, meal, snack which puts you over 100 easily. More protein and fiber is recommended for most people.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Carbs aren't evil. In fact, they are a good source of energy for your body.

Instead of worrying about carbs, why don't you try to meet your protein and fat macros first, and then fill in the rest as you see fit?

^^this very much

Eat the carbs.
    Eat fresh fruit and vegetables. Full of carbs.

It's about quantity and balance. Not one macro.
  • TotallyNotBillNye
    Options
    are you bellas daughter?
  • bpmartyr
    bpmartyr Posts: 141
    Options
    The fittest and most cosmetically pleasing people I know eat plenty of carbs including cake, ice cream, donuts etc. withing reason of their macro goals. Carbs are just another tool in your arsenal. Use all your tools! :)
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    As a diabetic I have to watch my carb intake but there is a difference in the carbs from natural sugar, oranges, bananas, apples etc, and refined sugars. My nutritionist said for a male my size I can have 60 Grams per meal 15ish per snack. I believe for a woman in the class it was 35-45 per meal and 10-15 per snack and they said to eat a meal, snack, meal, snack, meal, snack which puts you over 100 easily. More protein and fiber is recommended for most people.

You are correct. I have insulin resistance and have to limit myself to those numbers.
  • DekkaTwoOneWizzy
    Options
    Hmmmmm...If your dieting down for a show then you must meticulously adjust carbs. If your NOT low enough bodyfat% to get in bikini contest shape in 16 weeks, dont fret. If you drop your carbs too low from the get go you will not have much latitude to take anything out. Its always better to eat more than less and create caloric deficits through exercise. When your carbs drop below 100gr, the quality of your training plummets. Add cardio in 15 minute intervals till your hitting 45 minutes to an hour per day as an adjunct to your weight training or sport specifice training if you do any. When you hit a plateau, then you start taking out carbs at around 15 gr per meal. Subtle changes like that are enough to kick things into gear.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Weird, I haven't had that problem. Carbs are in breads and grains right? I suppose I don't eat much rice or bread. What goes over my goal is usually protein. Which is odd since I'm vegetarian. Not sure which is worse. Probably fat would be the worst one to keep going over the goal.

Fat is fine to go over, assuming you still have a balanced diet.
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Instead of focusing on low carb (carbs are essential to life and lots of carbs, like fruits and veggies, are super healthy!) I'd focus on good carbs and then stick to just a few grain servings per day to keep cals down. Good luck!
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I LOVE carbs. I wish I could fit more carbs into my food. I'm only getting like 250g today! :(

I've also lost 70 pounds. Why are you so worried about carbs? Do you have a health condition that precludes your eating too many carbs?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I think of protein as a goal, not a limit. Especially considering MFP has it set so so low. I changed mine to aim for 100grams a day.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    carbs. are. not. bad.

just don't eat 300g of them a day and you'll be fine.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Carbs aren't evil. In fact, they are a good source of energy for your body.

Instead of worrying about carbs, why don't you try to meet your protein and fat macros first, and then fill in the rest as you see fit?

^^this very much

This times ten. I don't even know what my daily carb intake is. But I do know my fat and protein grams.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    carbs. are. not. bad.

I often eat 400g in a day, is this a problem?
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    carbs. are. not. bad.

sigh.... hyperbole. learn it.

for specific situations like putting on mass, you may need to eat a lot of carbs. for the MAJORITY of people on MFP who are looking to lose weight, they absolutely SHOULD eat carbs, but in moderation.

yay starting fights for no reason. :)
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    I have just realized that i am getting way too many carbs in my daily intake. Im trying to keep it at 100g, but i always go over. My Quaker oats and banana for breakfast is 54 grams alone. Im so tired of cutting more and more out of my diet. Soon i will live on DRY SALAD and thats it!!!! grrrr

and OP, what was the reasoning behind the 100g mark? any reason you don't wanna hike it a bit? say 125 or 150?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    carbs. are. not. bad.

sigh.... hyperbole. learn it.

for specific situations like putting on mass, you may need to eat a lot of carbs. for the MAJORITY of people on MFP who are looking to lose weight, they absolutely SHOULD eat carbs, but in moderation.

yay starting fights for no reason. :)

It's not hyperbole....it's trying to put something into context - a very different thing.