i'm over 40. is it impossible?

Options

Replies

• ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I am 61.
    Began here 3/12/12.
    It is definitely not impossible. 136 down and still losing.
    Never give up!
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Oh... and for inspiration... check out Californiagirl2012... she's 52... I would die for her body...lol
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    In my 40's and have lost a few pounds.....

Your awesome!
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I am 61.
    Began here 3/12/12.
    It is definitely not impossible. 136 down and still losing.
    Never give up!

YOU ROCK!!
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I got fat in my 30's being lazy and now losing it in my 40's and menopausal with knee, back and shoulder pain.
    Age is is just an excuse move your booty more and you WILL lose it. Add me for futher tough love.:flowerforyou:
  • keepersmom8
    Options
    I'm 52. Since last April, I've lost just over 70 pounds (I'm less than half a pound away from losing 1/3 of my start weight) and weigh less now than I have in the last 30 years. I eat around 1200 calories a day (although I'm starting to play around with upping that), work out at least 5 times a week for anywhere upwards of 30 minutes. I've taken this journey many times over the past 20 years, and have had more success this time. It's certainly possible!
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    so glad i stumbled onto this topic! i loved reading all the encouragement!

i was at goal a year ago but then various life "excuses" happened and now i'm back to where i started.

i am 41.5 years old and am not ready to give up! i especially appreciate hearing from the people in their 50s and 60s reminding me to get it done now and not keep putting off the hard work.
    i also find that i keep learning more. i've been into exercise and nutrition since i was 15, and thought i knew all the basics, but i'm constantly getting educated--like the post about estrogen and progesterone changes and cardio vs wts. for women as they age.

anyway, i'm rambling, but i just wanted to say thank you to the op for putting out there her feelings and for all the smart and kind answers that came back in support.
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options

You have done a outstanding job on your weight loss. Definitely an inspiration!
  • DAM_Fine
    DAM_Fine Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I'm now 58. I lost 44 pounds last year - about 1/3 of my body weight at the time. If I can do this, you can too!
  • Cobwellac
    Cobwellac Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I lost about 30 pounds after turning 41 (including the notorious last 10 and then some). However, I didn't follow the Dan plan; I just cut out a lot of calories. I'm at maintenance now and eat around 1500-1900 per day. I think 4 pages in, this thread has lots of proof that weight loss over 40 isn't impossible.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    You can do it! :) I've now hit the big 4-0 and its just a road bump. I do gain muscle slower than I used to and lose slower than before, and sometimes going back to your past exercises and feeling your old injuries and limitations can be tough going back (hard for a guy going back to the gym not being able to put as many 45's on my bench) but I still can lose fast, lost 15lbs in almost 5 weeks now. I eat 1910 calories a day plus half or more of my exercise calories back, and at first I wasn't seeing loss with lifting several times per week. I added in mountain hikes several times per week and my weight loss started flowing. If you are exercising, sometimes you are building muscle for a period of time and losing fat but your weight doesn't budge for a while, then plummets when you just add a different type of exercise to mix things up and keep careful track of your intake calories. I know from the past I go through cycles like these as I'm losing, don't get discouraged, its a possibility to look at for yourself too, keep up the good work!
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I'm 41! Have lost 77 pounds in 7 months! I have been losing the most weight since January, I just decided to work out 30-60 mins six day a week.

It takes time to get your metabolism going but you are doing great!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    It is tough, because our bodies just click off the hormones. You might consult a trainer and nutritionist to see if there are any issues that you can do, but might not be obvious.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Yep. I gained a lot of weight between 30 and 40. I then tried taking some of it off by using the methods that had worked in my 20s: regular exercise and trying to pay attention to what I ate, but without tracking calories. It didn't work. Since Jan. 7, though, I've lost about 10 lbs. It hasn't been easy, especially when I get hungry between meals, but it hasn't been too challenging. I did permit myself a day of indulgence on my 45th birthday last month, but generally I see what I'm doing as a change in lifestyle. My hope is that rigorously counting calories while I lose weight will give me a better internal gauge of how much I need to eat than I used to (since my internal gauge led me to gain 70 lbs. in just over a decade), but I also see MFP and The Hacker's Diet (http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/) as tools I can use to help maintain my weight once I've reached my target.

Good luck!
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Hi Ed!! Just a few - my hero!!:smile:
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    HI, I am now 61, I have lost 28 kgs, (61 lbs) started in Jan 2012 - I was amazed at how much weight I lost using MFP - and I could still eat. I wish I had done this years ago. I posted my photos and success story in the forum. (if you search the forum Aussie 60 it should come up)

I am still losing but very slowly now, I think I need to do weights, that seems to be a great help to people.

Just start today and do it, every day that you do better than you did is a plus :smile:
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I'm turning 41 in may last year I wanted to be fit and forty not fat and forty and I got to goal weight in September, I've been maintaining it ever since ( I did put on a few pounds over Christmas but that's come back off) I eat whatever I fancy but then I do exercise loads and I love it, don't give up hope you can do it believe in yourself ok it's harder but don't let that stand in your way ????
  • opal24
    opal24 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    63 here and what you see on my ticker took me around a year........ so, no, it's certainly not impossible!

Edit to add 29kg is around 64 pounds.
  • luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I was once told by a dietician , that if i didn't get my weight off by the time i was 50 yrs ....I would never get it off .

Found MFP ... From my grandchildren and i have never looked back .... Not able to go the gym because of medical problems but keep moving ... house cleaning ... Gardening ... walk the dog ... all helps .
    I will be 66 yrs old this year and doing very well ... sugar is back to normal , cholesterol spot on ... And blood pressure perfect .
    We all have good days and bad days ... Key to success here is to keep logging . Has worked for me .
    Good luck on your journey .
    You have nothing to loose but only your weight ... lol . Cheers ! :flowerforyou:
  • luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    HI, I am now 61, I have lost 28 kgs, (61 lbs) started in Jan 2012 - I was amazed at how much weight I lost using MFP - and I could still eat. I wish I had done this years ago. I posted my photos and success story in the forum. (if you search the forum Aussie 60 it should come up)

I am still losing but very slowly now, I think I need to do weights, that seems to be a great help to people.

Just start today and do it, every day that you do better than you did is a plus :smile:
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: