Loss of a Beloved Pet

Options
124»

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I think she deleted her account. Must not have like the negativity.

This will draw new members. Ones who have created their accounts today, in some bizarre coincidence, after having deactivated their original account just a little while ago.
  • karendash8
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I recently loss my little Kairi on the 11th and it is so painful. The grief is real and it takes time to process, so I pray for you healing, blessings, and wonderful memories of your beloved furry family member.
  • carryingon
    carryingon Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    You OD'd your dog? What was wrong with letting the vet euthanize him, exactly? There had to have been some unpleasant side effects.
    There probably were some unpleasant side effects. Hopefully OD'ing the dog didn't put him in any more pain than he was. Jeez.

^^^^THIS:frown: !
  • txbutterfly69
    txbutterfly69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Not to be mean, but you should have not given him all those pills!! That was a slow and horrible death for him. My stomach just turned to think of all the side effects he had on top of his cancer pain. The vet's do not charge that much to humanely put him down. From 11am to 1am he suffered a great deal. I'm sorry, but don't EVER do that again to another animal. I'm sorry for your loss, but that was cruel.:cry:

We took our senior cat, as a last resort, to have vet euthanize him and it took seconds for him to go, not hours.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I honestly can't believe anyone is defending shoving 100 Benadryl down an animals throat because its too expensive to have a vet do it. Being able to afford basic care for your animals should be a consideration before you have the privilege of being a caregiver to any animal.
    My dog was 17 when I had to put him to sleep. He was in my arms and I stroked his head the whole time. He simply closed his eyes and my vet let me hold him for the next two hours because I couldn't walk away. It was seconds not hours of wondering when is it going to happen.
    Sometimes I really really hate people.
  • seamonkey789
    Options
    This is horrible. I have sympathy for the dog, but very little left over for the OP. The last hours of this animal's life must have been confusing and awful.

Yes. I feel badly that I responded with such sympathy, not having read too closely the original post. An overdose in an animal is just the same as it is in a human - terrifying, a complete loss of control, and panic inducing. That's horrifying. A quick call at an emergency vet clinic would have likely done the euthanizing for cheap and much more humanely.

How exactly is taking a suffering animal to an unknown place and handing it over to a stranger to be injected NOT panic inducing? We pat ourselves on the back and say euthanasia is better, but it's not. Also, if you'd read some of OP's later comments, she said that the clinic wasn't open in the middle of the night. So the dog would've been in horrible pain all night anyway, no matter what course of action was taken...

My dog also had cancer and was euthanized in October after a year of fighting it when it got too bad. The euthanasia was NOT 300 and I did not hand my dog over to some stranger. My fiance and I were both in the room with her stroking her head after they gave her the initial sedative and then the euthanasia injection. The whole thing took 5 minutes and .my vet left the room for us to say our good byes to her before she was cremated

I would also like to add, in addition to the bladder cancer, she was hiding how bad her arthritis was from me. In 2 days, she had stopped eating and could no longer make it down my stairs and I was carrying her to go outside. By the end of the second day, she could no longer stand up herself and was no eating or drinking. How is me letting my dog starve to death and lay in her own filth because she can't stand up more "moral" than taking her in and ending her suffering?
  • BaileyP3
    BaileyP3 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I am very blessed to have had 2 of my girls (both cocker spaniels 13 - Molly and 9 - Kitty) pass in my arms. They waited for me :-) Molly until I woke up one morning, Kitty when I got home from work.

I appreciate the joy that both of these girls brought to me but I am most thankful that they went on their own terms without me having to make any decisions on their behalf.

Unfortunately my ex-husband chose to save the money and 'take care' of our beautiful 8 year old cat with Tylenol and gas :sad: (makes me grateful I left the marriage)
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

And how do you know that these drugs are infact painless? Have you had the procedure done on yourself? No? Then you really have no freaking idea do you?

I do not know. But the heartbeat that stops in a matter of 30 seconds, that takes a previously yowling animal in obvious pain, as opposed to a long overdose that takes hours to kill them, would seem to point to a quick and painless death.

Those who claim there is never a reason to put an animal down have never seen their animal at the point of death and in pain. That changes your opinion on what is humane and what is not.

You're right, I haven't seen an animal like that, because I have not been present for any of my pets being put down as it happened after I moved out and I did not get any say in the matter. It made me angry, though, that I was neither informed nor asked permission before it happened. And I watched my own mother die in front of my eyes, and saw her pain even though she was so doped up on morphine she was essentially in a coma.

Death is not humane. No form of it is. Making the onset of it quicker, through whatever means, does not make it one bit more humane, UNLESS it is in someone's will to be euthanized or the "right to die" is exercised, as in cases with long-term coma patients. And unfortunately, animals cannot give that sort of consent, so how are we to know whether they'd want it or not?
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread. In this instance the majority of respondents have weighed in with empathy and support. The original poster has received a significant amount of feedback.

Thanks to everyone for your understanding.

Respectfully,
    Olivia
    MFP Staff
This discussion has been closed.