Leftover Birthday Cake dilemma...

Options
What do you do when a friend makes you a birthday cake, and then makes you take the leftovers home? I'm just one person, with about 1/2 of a cake (single layer, 13 x 9 pan) sitting on my counter.

And, I lost weight last week - so I'm thinking "a little cake FOR BREAKFAST can't be that bad, especially since I lost weight last week".

I am NOT going to eat it for breakfast - promise. There is no one at home to share it with. I can't take it to work until Tuesday, and I'm not sure I won't eat it before then.

Options?

1. Trash it - even though someone MADE it for me?
2. Cut it up and freeze it - in case I NEED a piece of cake? Some sort of cake emergency situation?
3. Just eat it over the next few days.

I just feel guilty about throwing it away! But I don't need the calories! Can I just throw it away?

Replies

• S_Arr_Uh
    S_Arr_Uh Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Store it in an airtight tin and take it to work on Tuesday. Or give it your neighbour..
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    My first thought was don't eat it but then I thought I would probably cut it into pieces and freeze it for those days that you deserve a little something sweet. BTW I hate when people send me home with the food I brought I always try to convince them to keep it. LOL. I guess that doesn't work with a birthday cake that was made for you. HAPPY BIRTHDAY :)
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I would throw it away. I don't need stuff like that sitting on my counter day in, day out. If I don't see it, it's not there, if it's not there, I can't eat it. And if you use discipline and don't eat the cake, a week later, you have stale cake, and you're going to throw it out anyways.
  • ErinG6191
    ErinG6191 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I would say, either freeze it or trash it. I personally would throw it away because I have zero will power and could easily convince myself that it wouldn't be a big deal to have a piece and then another, and another and then oops, the whole cake is gone, but I am one of those people that once I have sugar I instantly crave more. Putting it in the freezer would only be a minor inconvenience for me if I really wanted to get at it. If you are someone that can eat the occasional treat without overdoing it then keep it! It's up to you, but certainly don't compromise your health, goals and happiness because of guilt.
  • _funrungirl
    _funrungirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I would freeze a few small pieces and either take the rest to the office or throw it away.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    cut a small piece off for today, fit it into your calories and put the rest in your freezer or throw it away. I used to be part of the 'finish what's on your plate' generation but not anymore. I've worked hard to be where I am and I'm not going to feel guilty about not eating an entire cake :)
    next time I would agree to take a small piece with me and not all of the leftovers :)
    enjoy!!
  • badzoe
    badzoe Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Freeze it or take it to work to share with co-workers.
  • elucio
    elucio Posts: 10
    Options
    If you have a strong self will, cut up and freeze some of it and take some to work. That way you have a stash for when you really dedserve something! I believe it's ok in moderation :) But remember (for me anyways) it is a slippery slope so keep up that strong will! Happy belated birthday!
  • Heather_las
    Heather_las Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would probably save a very small piece for today and then trash it or give it away. No need to have it there to tempt you!
  • CherishQuick
    Options
    When I was single I often faced this delima...what I've learned is to take it to work and leave it for your co-workers.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'd cut it up and eat a small portion that fits my calories over the course of the next week.

Taking it to work is a great idea, too. If I have more leftovers than I can eat, I send them with my husband to his work. Or drop them off at my brother's who has four kids and the kids always have friends over.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I would cut up a few small pieces, freeze them then toss the rest. I don't want something like that sitting around staring at me for the next couple days. Happy Birthday!
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I would say, either freeze it or trash it. I personally would throw it away because I have zero will power and could easily convince myself that it wouldn't be a big deal to have a piece and then another, and another and then oops, the whole cake is gone, but I am one of those people that once I have sugar I instantly crave more. Putting it in the freezer would only be a minor inconvenience for me if I really wanted to get at it. If you are someone that can eat the occasional treat without overdoing it then keep it! It's up to you, but certainly don't compromise your health, goals and happiness because of guilt.

This. :smokin:
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    You can throw it away. The person who made it for you did it as an expression of affection. You have received that expression of affection. The cake has served its purpose. Eating it won't make you understand the point of the cake more than throwing it away. The message of love is received. The cake is like an empty envelope, right now.

Do you see what I mean?

I love to bake. I bake all the time. I don't even eat sugar or flour any more but I still love to bake for my friends who do eat it. If I ever sent anybody home with a cake who felt the way you do, I would want them to toss it.
  • lorislosingit
    lorislosingit Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much - today is trash day, and the cake is going! I had some last night- and I don't need the extra calories right now. I just needed "permission" to toss it!

Nokanjaijo - I loved your statement that "The cake has served its purpose. Eating it won't make you understand the point of the cake more than throwing it away. The message of love is received. The cake is like an empty envelope, right now. "

THANK YOU.

OK - I'm going to go work out!
  • benflando
    benflando Posts: 193
    Options
    Think about what you want to look like on your next birthday
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • AlexisGraceCollins
    AlexisGraceCollins Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Disconnect food from feelings. I am part of a culture where food = love, so I get how you would feel bad throwing it away. BUT love is a friend who knows you are trying to lose weight NOT making you take home the cake leftovers! Love is also loving yourself enough to not put yourself in a hard situation that leads to a cake binge (and the horrible self-esteem that follows). Trash it and let the friend know that you had to do that for your health for the next time she wants to stick you with waaaay too much food.

It let's your friend know what your priorities are - it also shows them that you are vulnerable to their influence- be it good or bad. It is tough admitting that we have issues with self-control - but admitting you have a problem is the first step, right? (Sounds like your friend didn't trust herself with the leftovers, either). And, a real friend will listen and want to help you out.

If she still doesn't get it, calculate the calories in a slice of that cake and make her join you for a run that burns off those calories every time you eat a slice! :D
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Definitely throw it out. Cut one small piece to enjoy and just don't even stop to think about it as you toss the rest away. Your friend need never know where it went.

I did that at Christmas when my nieces left me a plate full of cookies they'd decorated themselves. It was heartbreaking to do it, but they had the fun of giving me the cookies, and I had the joy of receiving them. I only ate a bit to say yummm in front of them, and tossed the rest out as soon as the girls left. Besides, have you seen how many gummies and M&M's a three-year old can glue onto a cookie. That thing was probably 500 calories. hehe
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I would cut up a few small pieces, freeze them then toss the rest. I don't want something like that sitting around staring at me for the next couple days. Happy Birthday!

^ This. Then I would take the trash out immediately.