Wow just wow.

Options
Left for a few months & it seems like a lot of RUDE people have joined since then. If you have nothing nice to say, why even reply? If a recipe I post doesn't appeal to you, then don't make it. You don't have to be freaking rude & shoot it down before even trying it. Do other people experience this on here too? Makes you no even wanna contribute ideas & makes you just wanna keep to yourself or not come on here at all.

Replies

• benflando
    benflando Posts: 193
    Options
    I agree. Keep at it though, theres plenty of nice people still out here.
  • benflando
    benflando Posts: 193
    Options
    Get outta here with that.
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I see it all the time. There are plenty of nice, helpful people and there are also plenty of rude, know-it-alls. Being on the internet just allows more access to lots of people and inevitably there are going to be rude ones.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I stumbled upon a thread the other week, someone had posted a recipe...lets take a min to reflect...a recipe!!
    The amount of crap that person received was insane....absolutely moronic.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I agree with you but I actually am posting to warn you that you've probably opened a can of worms for yourself here.
    A lot of people have posted stuff similar to this and it's gone badly for them.
  • lizibame
    lizibame Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    There are mean people all over the country and world but somehow when they write it online and they don't hear themselves say it out loud they feel more compelled to share it. Just echoing what all the others are telling you, stay strong and keep at it. If you have something you want to share then share it because at least someone on there is reading it and paying attention (even if they are just lurking and don't say anything on the thread).
  • TehWaffleFairy
    Options
    Thankfully for me this seems to be the most troll free forum/website i've come across so far, but i'm pretty sure you're never more than 6 feet away from a troll.
  • afia233
    afia233 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    tbh, weight loss is a sensitive topic admittedly, however sometimes you just NEED to grow up and deal with it...

was about to post a threat about how i mentally judge fat people and dish out unessarcary advice far to often... (ive never been over a healthy/underweight BMI myself) and how to stop it but i reeled myself in for people like you who are VERY sensitive...

BUT At the end of the day i still think words on a screen should not mean that much to you.....were all adults here....
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    People want support for eating disordered level calorie goals, diet aids that are best useless and at worst medically dangerous, exercise programs that they aren't properly fueling themselves for and will only damage themselves with, etc etc etc. I've never tried to sustain myself on 500 calories a day for months at a time.

Doesn't mean I don't know it's a bad idea.

I don't feel bad at all about not supporting those people. If you're in this for health, you shouldn't either.
  • johned63
    johned63 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    It is not just here, it is everywhere. I recently read an opinion piece on CNN on the subject. http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/01/opinion/obeidallah-outrage/index.html?hpt=hp_bn7
  • quirkytizzy
    Options
    It is not just here, it is everywhere. I recently read an opinion piece on CNN on the subject. http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/01/opinion/obeidallah-outrage/index.html?hpt=hp_bn7

Yes, but that instant outrage on MFP normally goes like this:

Person posits a question about an unhealthy form of weight loss. Sometimes they say they have their mind made up already, sometimes they don't. In any case, it's out there in the public forum.

Community responds. More experienced members with significant and long term weight loss tell them not to do it. Often they suggest other reasonable, healthier things.

OP gets upset and starts demanding people be supportive.

Insanity ensues, older members with practical advice wander off, hands in the air.

OP storms off, claiming they will do what they like. Silence from them afterwards.

(and to quote someone else who once outlaid this process) "OP returns the next year, saying "I'm back, I really mean it this time!"
  • amandabrady
    amandabrady Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I feel that yes, it is important for people to be able to speak freely and be honest. It's certainly not a crime to disagree, and when it comes to topics based around the subject of weight loss, you can count on people having drastically different, conflicting, passionate opinions. I also feel, however, that you can be honest, speak your mind, give someone a tough love answer if it's required, and still show them respect. Snarkiness, trolling, extreme sarcasm...it's fine if you're posting in the general chit-chat and games section, but it's unnecessary for people who post a question seeking a genuine response from this community. We are here to help each other reach goals and become healthier people, not belittle one another.
  • FJcntdwn2sknyluv
    FJcntdwn2sknyluv Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    MFP is BAD AT BULLYING!!

Sad that the best food journal site out there has a bunch of ****s responding to posts.. so much so I tell people to STAY OFF the forums here.. If it weren't for some of the friends I have on here and the app.. I would just completely quit using it..
    Also I love how it can change..when HCG first came out OMG MPF loved it... (groups and postings and recipe swaps! )then when people didn't follow the plan right and gained the weight back it became the devil...Not that it's a good idea really but still.. yeah.. I post my successes but that's it!..

And chime in once in awhile (like now) but yeah..in general stay off the forums here.. this one caught my eye.. but yeah.. people suck sometimes!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

Yes, but that instant outrage on MFP normally goes like this:

Person posits a question about an unhealthy form of weight loss. Sometimes they say they have their mind made up already, sometimes they don't. In any case, it's out there in the public forum.

Community responds. More experienced members with significant and long term weight loss tell them not to do it. Often they suggest other reasonable, healthier things.

OP gets upset and starts demanding people be supportive.

Insanity ensues, older members with practical advice wander off, hands in the air.

OP storms off, claiming they will do what they like. Silence from them afterwards.

(and to quote someone else who once outlaid this process) "OP returns the next year, saying "I'm back, I really mean it this time!"

^^^ I have seen all of this many times (although not the last line of it, but maybe i just missed that bit)

although IMO making rude comments about recipes isn't of any benefit. If you don't want to eat the recipe, don't say anything. If you tried it and it didn't taste nice, then maybe you can comment.
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    xkcdwrongoninternet.jpg
  • kb_CG_wife
    kb_CG_wife Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Left for a few months & it seems like a lot of RUDE people have joined since then. If you have nothing nice to say, why even reply? If a recipe I post doesn't appeal to you, then don't make it. You don't have to be freaking rude & shoot it down before even trying it. Do other people experience this on here too? Makes you no even wanna contribute ideas & makes you just wanna keep to yourself or not come on here at all.

I feel the same way. Kill them with kindness, I guess. Maybe some people get the sense of entitlement when they're not indentifiable in person? Who knows...
  • quirkytizzy
    Options
    .when HCG first came out.....gained the weight back it became the devil...Not that it's a good idea really but still.. yeah.. I post my successes but that's it!..

Google ana diets. Compare the calorie goal level to what you find. Decide for yourself if emulating anorexic eating behaviors is a healthy way to lose weight. (You'll find, I hope, that it's not.)

Also, why would you follow a weight loss plan in which most members gained the weight back (by your own admittance)??? In what way does that make sense?
  • kb_CG_wife
    kb_CG_wife Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    xkcdwrongoninternet.jpg

This is awesome :) Although, I wouldn't stay up and write back. Sleep is more important to me than someone else angry rant.
  • simplywriting
    Options

I have't read any of the replies yet (oh I can hardly wait) but I will tell you I did the same. I left for awhile, came back and was horrified at the answers on the message boards. I just cannot get over the rudeness, the judgemental nature of many. (not ALL!)
    I chose this site because back when I started ( a few years ago) they were the nicest, most supportive people I'd found.

Now it just scares me to post ANYTHING in the message board, and I typically don't anymore.
  • groversa
    groversa Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I have noticed this too... on mostly some community posts. I keep only positive people on my friends list, but it is sad that some people bring so much negativity to this site on some posts, we should be here to help and motivate, not bash and make people feel stupid.