Eating "junk" and losing weight?

Options

Replies

• jenniferlcrumb
    jenniferlcrumb Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of junk. I try not to. I have some will power issues. But I DO track alllll of the junk because I want to see it. I force myself to be accountable for what I eat, good and bad. And so when I had a bad week, and gain, I can look back and see exactly WHY.

I have 75lbs to lose but I am not in a hurry because I want this to be the last time I lose weight. Each time I lose weight quickly, I always gain it back. SO, this is just a new way of life for me. It may take me 2-3 years to lose it, and that is ok. Baby steps for me.

As for whether you can lose weight and eat junk. I am sure you can. But for how long? I don't know.

I totally agree :) We can eat what we want but to track it is what is important.. I have sweets and fatty foods sometimes too but I make sure I track it in case I hit a plateau I can go back and see why lol... This is a lifestyle change for me also and I have changed quite a few things already... ice cream to fudgesicles, cookies to homemade bars that are sweet but made with healthy ingredients, real chips to pop chips... These are a great start for anyone because you can maintain the changes for a long time and the calorie difference is awesome :) As long as we recognise what we are eating and seeing if there are any changes we can make, we should continue to lose wait whether there is junk in our diet or not :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    80/20 eater ensuring I get in the correct daily macro/micro nutrients each day and stay within calorie limits. I have some "junk" in some form every day.

Today I had a donut.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I'm not willing to cut out anything that I won't cut out for the rest of my life. It's not sustainable. I eat my fair share of fruit & veg and other healthy foods, but I eat junk too.

^^This
    Yep, I feel exactly the same way.
    ^I agree with this. I have seen posts like this before and I just usally read a little bit of it and don't comment.. But it is really not your concern what other people eat. I am 56 yrs old and I will do it my way. And my way has been working just fine for me. Find some friends on here that are more like you want to be. Good Luck on your way.
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I eat junk and loose. I dont cut anything of out my life so i dont feel deprived. It has worked for me. As long as it fits your calories!!
  • scaredofcoasters
    scaredofcoasters Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to slowly add more healthy food, cut red meat (and most meat for that matter), and add fruits and veggies. When I get the chance to move out, maybe I can spend more time making menus and shopping for myself. My shopping trips will always include a bit of chocolate, however, because I need chocolate to LIVE (well, stay sane).
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I see SO many people on here who have their diaries open and eat more than half of their calories from what's considered "junk" food. What's the deal with this?! I realize I'm the one with 150 pounds left to lose, but wouldn't these people be losing more if they would eat fruits and vegetables at every meal? I'm striving for 75% fresh food. Is that maybe unrealistic? And there are people losing .5 pounds per week but eating candy, chips, etc. Would it not make a difference if they'd eat real food instead? Maybe I'm just confused!

See my ticker :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • AllAboutThatTreble
    AllAboutThatTreble Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    It's all about moderation for me. If someone can eat 100% "clean" and stick to it for the rest of their life? Kudos to them. On the flip side if someone eats only "junk" and is losing weight and happy? Kudos also.

I found that even at both ends of the spectrum I will fail. When I eat only junk, I have no energy to exercise, I feel gross, and as a result will feel depressed, then I will overeat. But when I go more than 2 weeks without some "junk" food, I will snap and go on a "junk" food binge. But when I eat with my health in mind and choose nutritiously dense foods most of the time with some "junk" food here and there, that's when I do my best and I really lose weight.

I wish I knew that when I first started trying to lose weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I see SO many people on here who have their diaries open and eat more than half of their calories from what's considered "junk" food. What's the deal with this?! I realize I'm the one with 150 pounds left to lose, but wouldn't these people be losing more if they would eat fruits and vegetables at every meal? I'm striving for 75% fresh food. Is that maybe unrealistic? And there are people losing .5 pounds per week but eating candy, chips, etc. Would it not make a difference if they'd eat real food instead? Maybe I'm just confused!

Weight loss is calories in/calories out. Good nutrition is a different matter altogether...but yes...as long as you have a caloric deficit, you can eat junk and lose weight...did that for awhile myself, but my blood work wasn't improving...so I had to improve my diet overall, not just for weight loss.
  • CasablancasTX
    Options
    If they're losing weight, why does it matter to you what they're eating?

This is the most common response to this type of post.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    For me, the biggest difference is how much I can eat.

Today, for example

Domino - Light Brown Sugar , 2 tsp (4 g)
    365 Organic - Raspberries (Frozen),
    Quaker - Instant Oatmeal , 0.5 cup
    Egg•Land's Best - Grade A Large Eggs, 1 egg
    Nature's Own - Healthy Multigrain Sandwich Thins, 1 Roll
    Oil - Olive, 0.5 tablespoon 60
    Salmon - Atlantic Caught Fresh (Nutritiondata.Com - Salmon Fillet (Half), 120 g
    Squash - Zucchini, includes skin, raw, 135 g
    Green Giant Fresh - Baby Cut Carrots, 85 g
    Kikkoman Original - Teriyaki Sauce Takumi Collection, 2 Tbsp (18g)
    Broccoli - Raw, 60 g
    Hummus - Athenos, 2 tbsp (30g)
    Celery - Raw, 100 g
    Green Giant Fresh - Baby Cut Carrots, 85 g
    Generic - Honeycrisp Apple, 1 medium apple

I'm still only at 900 calories for the day. So I can still have another meal, eat some ice cream,and have a beer if that's what I want to do and lose weight. Or for the same number of calories I could have had a quarter pounder with cheese and fries. I feel better eating the way I do, feel much more full and have more energy.

Having said that, I still have a little bit of something that is less nutritious almost every day. I just try to keep it below 150 calories each day because it isn't worth it to me to eat more junk than that.

To each their own.
  • holliwood97
    holliwood97 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    am loving this tread. i want to eat whatever. in moderation..... that to me is living and something i can live with forever... no diets no fomulas. no "have too's" just living free. !
  • pinkcloudrising
    Options
    I can attest to the fact that deprivation and restricting don't always lead to weight loss. For me, I deprived myself and restricted, weighed and measured, and did all that other stuff that was supposed to make my body slimmer. It didn't work. You know why? I have an eating disorder. A chemical reaction to certain foods. My body has a switch that I can't control through depriving and restricting. What happens to me is when I do the deprivation of certain foods, I become obsessed with them until I finally break down and eat them, in quantities that aren't necessary for nutrition or even pleasure.

What I am learning to do with using MPF is that I can have anything and everything as long as I keep the quantities within what I need to lose the weight I need AND to be happy. Being miserable and thin isn't much better than being fat and miserable in my opinion.

As someone pointed out there isn't anything as unhealthy food. How it is prepared and the quantities that we consume is the problem. Bread in and of itself isn't problematic. Two slices of bread fried in butter and covered in syrup are problematic if you are trying to lose weight. Some people think that eating healthy is going for the salad bar instead of a hamburger and yet a plate of salad for some is some lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers piled with eggs, meat, cheese, and slathered with about 8 or 9 tablespoons of salad dressing.

I say all that for myself and to answer your post. I have come to the realization that for me, I have to learn to change the way I approach eating. It is not about deprivation and restricting for me any longer. It is about finding a way to enjoy foods I like and to have the body size I want. It can be done. I see if on this board and in every day life.

I heard that eating when you have an eating disorder as taking a hungry, untamed tiger out of a cage, feeding it and putting it back in before it maims or kills you. These days, I'm making friends with my tiger. I'm holding out my hand in friendship and showing it compassion when it does bite me. That seems to be working. I'm a lot happier since finding the MFP even when I eat what you call non-healthy food.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Because not everyone who eats "junk" food is overweight. It's about eating it in moderation, as long as I am in my calories for the day I eat whatever I like!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I'm probably one of these people you're talking about. I never cut out anything when I was losing weight, and I'm not about to cut it out now that I'm maintaining. So yes, you see cupcakes and slurpees and pizza and burgers in my diary on a regular basis. However, I do try and focus on eating mostly healthy food, hitting my macros and overall calorie goal. I refuse to assign food labels such as "good" or "bad" or "junk". If at the end of the day I have the carbs and calories left over to enjoy a slurpee, I'm going to have the slurpee, and enjoy every sip of it.

As for how quickly I lost, I lost my weight at an average pace of just over a pound a week, exactly as fast as I wanted to lose it.

All of this!
  • JellyButter
    JellyButter Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different.
    There are those people who can eat everything and weigh nothing. Then there are some that cant.
  • barrattandrew
    Options
    one of the great things about using MFP actively is you'll start to realise that the labels people assign to food like "junk" or "healthy" are only relevant to those concerned. Eat a big mac, manage your calories and macros or eat a 10 apples, You'll find the 10 apples have more calories.

I've been losing weight steadily and am using supplements to help keep the intake of certain nutrients. Don't believe those who just say "ooh you should be eating this its more healthy". Those people will get you fat. Whats right for them might not be right for you.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I plan my day to meet my protein target of 100g, once I've done that, I can have anything I want.

Today I have had chocloate cake and wine.

But only fatre I have logged my fresh fish, and veggies, and pasta, and greek yogurt and blueberries.

Having zero "junk" is unsustainable.
  • marynificent
    marynificent Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It's not just about how much you weigh, people. Fill your body with garbage and eventually you will suffer for it. I don't eat crap and I'm still not "thin" but that doesn't justify to me any reason to eat crap. I mean come on. That genetically altered chemical filled puff isn't going to do you OR your body any justice in the long term.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    It's not just about how much you weigh, people. Fill your body with garbage and eventually you will suffer for it. I don't eat crap and I'm still not "thin" but that doesn't justify to me any reason to eat crap. I mean come on. That genetically altered chemical filled puff isn't going to do you OR your body any justice in the long term.
    Actually as I mentioned above, weight is the NUMBER 1 marker for health risk. This isn't disputed amongst any medical organization.
    A person who is at correct weight eating some junk vs a very overweight person who eats "clean" and can't lose weight, is more than likely going to be at less risk for health issues.
    You DON'T have to eat perfectly to lose weight and be healthy. You should apply all the aspects that are affiliated with health to achieve it. Weight, exercise, correct rest, reduced stressed, risk behavior, environment, and genetics ALL are important.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • fIashforward
    fIashforward Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Doesn't make any difference; though it's probably healthier eating healthier, obviously :D

I sometimes just eat junk food on some days and has no effect on loss