Eating "junk" and losing weight?

Options

Replies

• BlackJack96
    BlackJack96 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    For pure weight loss you can live on cheeseburgers and do it. However, when it comes to the other factors that affect your health (blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar, etc) eating a nutritionally balanced diet is a good thing. I think if you are obese you're better off first trying to get the weight down and then later you can worry about balance. Once you get control then you can fine tune it by eating balanced food.

That being said, I'll say you'll feel more satiated eating a balanced diet than junk so it will be easier to lose the weight in the long run.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    It's not just about how much you weigh, people. Fill your body with garbage and eventually you will suffer for it. I don't eat crap and I'm still not "thin" but that doesn't justify to me any reason to eat crap. I mean come on. That genetically altered chemical filled puff isn't going to do you OR your body any justice in the long term.

What you mean by "junk" or "clean" may be very different to what another person means by "junk" or "clean." Whenever one of these threads starts it ends up in a "junk food" vs. "clean eating" mud sling fest. No one here is saying eat Twinkies all day long and you will be fine. What many of us are saying is if you make sure that you eat a reasonably balanced diet including vegetables with the sufficient micronutrients, good fats, protein and ensure that your macro balances are right, then enjoying the fun stuff such as ice cream, pizza, hamburgers, bacon and what have you, is not going to hurt you. What I personally take issue with is the people that argue ad nauseum that somehow I'm hurting myself by eating ice cream every day (or any other food item that they object to) even though all of my numbers are well within the healthy range and I'm fit and feel great. And honestly, the people I see arguing this most often fall into one of two categories: (1) unhealthy themselves and working to find the path that so many of us have already found, or (2) trying to sell something.
  • marynificent
    marynificent Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    New studies have been coming out that show that people who are a little bit over weight are generally healthier and have a lower mortality rate than those who are lifelong skinny bishes. Reasons as to why, perhaps unknown, perhaps a bit of fat protects us in our old age. Or perhaps those of us who are less genetically gifted make more of an effort to eat healthy and exercise. Only time will tell.

Anyway, I enjoy vodka and cigarettes but I would never post on mfp claiming that they were ok in moderation because I am losing weight and at a healthy body fat percentage and can practically deadlift a small car. Poison is poison, even in moderation. People who are super defensive about such things would be well served to google "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

If ice cream cones and loaves of bread grew on trees and to satisfy an urge we merely need grab up a galloping chicken stick basket, then surely, we could. Eat what you gotta to feel good about yourself and remain in control, but don't come on here claiming it is healthier than eating whole and natural foods instead. That's ridiculous. The chemicals and manufacturing processes do impact our body in the long term. Even the agribusiness produce and meat supplies are less than ideal thanks to manipulation to produce a quicker and more shelf stable product. The US and the UK are the absolute worst when it comes to protecting the integrity of our food sources over the integrity of their business interests.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    It's all about the calories.

The more healthy food you eat the easier it is to fill up and have energy.

The more "junk" you eat, usually the more hungry you are, the more cravings you have and might feel sluggish. It depends on how you react after the "junk" food.

It's all about calories.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I try to eat healthily...but if I would like a serving of chips or a chocolate candy bar now and then, I will work it into my calories. I have found that cutting something out completely backfires on me!!
  • marynificent
    Options
    p.s. be as angry as you want to be about it, but science will always trump anecdotal experience.

p.p.s. heavy smokers are also thinner than non-smokers - if weight is the most important indicator of health, perhaps we should all look into smoking!

p.p.p.s. j.k. about the smoking! terrible habit!
  • keepitnewmarcia
    keepitnewmarcia Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, and just wondering if they are eating junk and loosing as much as 5 lbs a week, are they in their 20's or running 3 miles a day or something. I think I understand that 1lb is about 3500 real calories and until I have a 3500 calorie deficit I won't loose a lb. So someone loosing that much would be at a 17,500 calorie deficit, alot for one week, (5 lbs X 3500 calories (1lb)= 17,500) If I have the math right. Sorry to be so annal, just had been wondering myself, also, like you. My bottom line is that I will eat the salads and fruit and cut the junk food as a way of life. Not 16 years old any more, all about metabolism and burnning...right?? Sorry, long winded.
    Marcia
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, and just wondering if they are eating junk and loosing as much as 5 lbs a week, are they in their 20's or running 3 miles a day or something. I think I understand that 1lb is about 3500 real calories and until I have a 3500 calorie deficit I won't loose a lb. So someone loosing that much would be at a 17,500 calorie deficit, alot for one week, (5 lbs X 3500 calories (1lb)= 17,500) If I have the math right. Sorry to be so annal, just had been wondering myself, also, like you. My bottom line is that I will eat the salads and fruit and cut the junk food as a way of life. Not 16 years old any more, all about metabolism and burnning...right?? Sorry, long winded.
    Marcia

3500 calories is only a lb if you are losing 100% fat.

from here - http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-energy-balance-equation.html

"create a 3,500 cal/week deficit and you should lose one pound of fat, right? Again, wrong.

There is a built in assumption in the above that turns out to not be necessarily correct but also throws a wrench into expectations about the energy balance equation. That assumption is that 100% fat is being lost when a deficit is created. Now, if you diet correctly (e.g. the way I describe in my books), this is a pretty good assumption but it’s not universally true. Often people also lose muscle and connective tissue on a diet.

And the issue is that muscle and connective tissue doesn’t provide as much energy to the body as a pound of fat. Rather than 3,500 calories to break down a pound of fat, a pound of muscle provides about 600 calories to the body when it’s broken down for energy.

Let me put this in mathematical terms, to show you how the identical 3,500 calorie/week deficit can yield drastically different changes in body mass depending on what percentage of tissue you’re losing. I’m going to use the extremes of 100% fat, 50/50 fat and muscle, and 100% muscle.

Condition Energy Yield Total Weight Lost
    100% Fat 3500 cal/lb 1 pound
    50%Fat/50% Muscle 2050 cal/lb 1.7 pounds
    100% Muscle 600 cal/lb 5.8 pounds

See what’s going on? The assumption of one pound per week (3,500 cal/week deficit) is only valid for the condition where you lose 100% fat. If you lose 50% fat and 50% muscle, you will lose 1.7 pounds in a week for the same 3,500 calorie deficit. Lose 100% muscle (this never happens, mind you, it’s just for illustration) and you lose 5.8 pounds per week."
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. Not everyone can eat just anything and stay within their calorie count and lose. There are so many opinions on these forums. Use your food diary and look for patters and do what works for you.
  • marynificent
    Options
    It's not just about how much you weigh, people. Fill your body with garbage and eventually you will suffer for it. I don't eat crap and I'm still not "thin" but that doesn't justify to me any reason to eat crap. I mean come on. That genetically altered chemical filled puff isn't going to do you OR your body any justice in the long term.

What you mean by "junk" or "clean" may be very different to what another person means by "junk" or "clean." Whenever one of these threads starts it ends up in a "junk food" vs. "clean eating" mud sling fest. No one here is saying eat Twinkies all day long and you will be fine. What many of us are saying is if you make sure that you eat a reasonably balanced diet including vegetables with the sufficient micronutrients, good fats, protein and ensure that your macro balances are right, then enjoying the fun stuff such as ice cream, pizza, hamburgers, bacon and what have you, is not going to hurt you. What I personally take issue with is the people that argue ad nauseum that somehow I'm hurting myself by eating ice cream every day (or any other food item that they object to) even though all of my numbers are well within the healthy range and I'm fit and feel great. And honestly, the people I see arguing this most often fall into one of two categories: (1) unhealthy themselves and working to find the path that so many of us have already found, or (2) trying to sell something.

just an addendum - i am supremely healthy (doctor approved!) and selling nothing other than staying current on science and being wise to motivations of corporations on our food supply and the longterm impact on our bodies. I never said clean, i said "garbage, crap and genetically altered chemical filled puff" and I stand by all three qualifications. I eat organic cream and butter every day damn and I wouldn't clean my floors with the genetically modified "whole grains" that other people consider clean. I also understand that not everyone can afford, has access to, or experience with organic foodstuffs and in such cases, mass produced agribusiness produce is still better than corn flakes and pop tarts and loads better than taco bell. oh and I def indulge in my martinis too, but i don't think they are without their flaws ;)
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

just an addendum - i am supremely healthy (doctor approved!) and selling nothing other than staying current on science and being wise to motivations of corporations on our food supply and the longterm impact on our bodies. I never said clean, i said "garbage, crap and genetically altered chemical filled puff" and I stand by all three qualifications. I eat organic cream and butter every day damn and I wouldn't clean my floors with the genetically modified "whole grains" that other people consider clean. I also understand that not everyone can afford, has access to, or experience with organic foodstuffs and in such cases, mass produced agribusiness produce is still better than corn flakes and pop tarts and loads better than taco bell. oh and I def indulge in my martinis too, but i don't think they are without their flaws ;)

Yea, I don't think you fall into the crowd I'm talking about. You are definitely further down/up the continuum from me but cheers to that martini!
  • jhuntmcallister
    Options
    Just because a person is losing weight doesn't mean they are losing undesireable fat. People who lose weight while eating junk food could be losing muscle, which weighs more than fat. So, initially the weight on the scale will drop. However, in the end, with less muscle to burn calories, continually eating junk food will make a person gain the weight back. Conversely, if you are eating healthy (and within you calorie limits) and the scale isn't dropping, it might be an indicator that you are building muscle. This is a good thing and eventually should help the undesireable fat drop off. A great way to see how you are doing and get a real sense of what is happening in and to your body is to do a hydrostatic underwater body fat test. It is the only 100% accurate measurement of body fat/ lean muscle mass.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I find that I still eat what could be considered junk - cakes, chips, chocolate etc - but I do try and moderate the intake, and keep within my calorie target. I do however also eat vegetables, some fruit, proteins, dairy.

I must admit when I see people eating fast foods/highly processed foods for every meal day in day out :noway: , I do wonder if they need to change their choices. Calorie deficit will equal weight loss, but it is better for the body to not be bombarded with lots of highly processed stuff.

However, I am doing this for life, so I do want to be able to eat whatever I feel like (within reason and calorie limits) without feeling guilty. Deprivation = failure. I have found though that I don't really enjoy some things I used to as much - and I think "well that wasn't worth the calories"! Slowly educating my taste buds? :laugh:

Do what suits you, and reviewing other people's dairies often helps you learn about what works for other people - and what doesn't. Good luck to the OP with your weight loss :smile:
  • ashleylmp
    ashleylmp Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    New studies have been coming out that show that people who are a little bit over weight are generally healthier and have a lower mortality rate than those who are lifelong skinny bishes. Reasons as to why, perhaps unknown, perhaps a bit of fat protects us in our old age. Or perhaps those of us who are less genetically gifted make more of an effort to eat healthy and exercise. Only time will tell.

Anyway, I enjoy vodka and cigarettes but I would never post on mfp claiming that they were ok in moderation because I am losing weight and at a healthy body fat percentage and can practically deadlift a small car. Poison is poison, even in moderation. People who are super defensive about such things would be well served to google "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

If ice cream cones and loaves of bread grew on trees and to satisfy an urge we merely need grab up a galloping chicken stick basket, then surely, we could. Eat what you gotta to feel good about yourself and remain in control, but don't come on here claiming it is healthier than eating whole and natural foods instead. That's ridiculous. The chemicals and manufacturing processes do impact our body in the long term. Even the agribusiness produce and meat supplies are less than ideal thanks to manipulation to produce a quicker and more shelf stable product. The US and the UK are the absolute worst when it comes to protecting the integrity of our food sources over the integrity of their business interests.

All of this! Including the part about cigarettes and vodka, ha!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    No. It doesn't make any difference at all. I get sufficient vitamins and minerals, make sure my macros are met, and my calories are within my allotment. That is all and it works.
    This.

I eat a fair bit of what a lot of people on here would consider 'junk' - ready meals, diet coke, general 'processed' food.
    I also rarely get ill <touches some wood /> and am the fittest I've ever been.

Nowhere near as 'fit' as some, but certainly in good shape compared to the 'average' I reckon - I am just on 1.5x my bodyweight on my shoulders for squats. Today I did a 10k run, then went to do rock climbing, which was only cut short by everyone else going home.
    Couldn't have done that when I was not eating 'junk', but not exercising.
  • deemedpriceless
    deemedpriceless Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    This is a lifestyle change for me. However, my lifestyle will consist of enjoying food. I like to eat, I want to make healthy choices, but I will also eat ice cream and cookies when I choose. Working out has been part of that change.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    p.s. be as angry as you want to be about it, but science will always trump anecdotal experience.
    Spoken like someone with no real life experience.
  • marynificent
    Options

haha! that is the funniest thing i have heard all day!
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I still eat some junk food from time to time, I think that its healthy and I love to cook too much to entirely give that up. I just try to excercise a bit more those days and I try to up my water intake. I figure Watered down or dilluted sugar is prob better than pure sugar in my body so maybe the ones losing while eating more junk food are just drinking tons more water thru out the day. I don't know. I will still have a candy bar from time to time or once in awhile a regular soda cuz I"m a bit over tired and it doesn't seem to affect my weight loss all the much as long as it isn't every day and I excercise plenty that day and drink lots of water.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

haha! that is the funniest thing i have heard all day!
    Can science confirm that?