What was your "fat" breaking point?

Options
1131415161719»

Replies

• Feebee4
    Feebee4 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    when looking in the mirror & trying to breathe in (suck it all in) made no difference!
  • JeanDescole
    JeanDescole Posts: 152
    Options
    I always knew my dads side of the family had a slight history of diabetes but suddenly my mum got it from her grandparents and I knew in order to avoid it I would have to really lose my incredibly unhealthy habits eg; two cans of pepsi/coke a day, chocolate or
    cakes with every meal etc.
  • Minnesnowtagurl
    Minnesnowtagurl Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Wow... way too many to count I'll share a few...

-Stepping on the elevator at work and feelng it do a dip, then return to it's normal posisiton
    -Being asked if I was pregnant...I wasn't
    -Realizing that I didn't want to go any where simply because all my clothes were way too tight
  • Julie_Donahue
    Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    In November, my oldest brother (almost 55) was admitted to the ICU and not expected to live. He walked in (yes walked!) with blood sugar of 800, pneumonia, and soon had a fever over 107 for several hours. The antibiotics they gave him for the infection caused his kidneys to shut down. He was in a medically induced coma for 2 weeks. Doctors gave him a 10-20% chance of survival---not recovery---just survival. While I gathered with some of my siblings and his daughter to discuss the inevitable (his death), I promised that I would start making the changes I needed to make. As soon as I got home, I asked my doctor to refer me to a nutritionist. I saw her just before Christmas and made a few changes in that final week of last year. January 1st was the first day of my new life.

BTW...my brother not only survived, but have 45 days in the hospital is making a full (or almost full) recovery. Last week he walked 7 miles one day! And he is getting married this summer. But I am still working hard to make the changes I need.
  • missfittin_missy
    missfittin_missy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    When I got the diabetes!!
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    In November, my oldest brother (almost 55) was admitted to the ICU and not expected to live. He walked in (yes walked!) with blood sugar of 800, pneumonia, and soon had a fever over 107 for several hours. The antibiotics they gave him for the infection caused his kidneys to shut down. He was in a medically induced coma for 2 weeks. Doctors gave him a 10-20% chance of survival---not recovery---just survival. While I gathered with some of my siblings and his daughter to discuss the inevitable (his death), I promised that I would start making the changes I needed to make. As soon as I got home, I asked my doctor to refer me to a nutritionist. I saw her just before Christmas and made a few changes in that final week of last year. January 1st was the first day of my new life.

BTW...my brother not only survived, but have 45 days in the hospital is making a full (or almost full) recovery. Last week he walked 7 miles one day! And he is getting married this summer. But I am still working hard to make the changes I need.

Inspirational story- so glad your brother survived! Nothing like a dose of close death or death of a loved one to make us look at ourselves
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    2007 I was the heaviest I had ever been- somewhere around 340 (pic is on my home page). My dad who had just turned 62 was suffering from years of bad living- very obese his whole life, started going downhill fast. He died in April of 2008. I found him - it was to be my turning point, once the grief and pain subsided, I realized I am just 25 yrs younger- and setting myself up for the same low quality of life. Also was on BP meds, and experiencing a host of weight related issues due to my weight.
    One step at a time, one change at a time, I started to get myself healthier. I started working out again, but incorporated weight training too. I lost 40 lbs from that- within a year- not huge changes, but enough to make some differences.
    In fall 2010 I stumbled across a Groupon deal for Zumba classes- no idea what that was about, but decided to try it. Never in my life did I work so hard in 1 hour- it was soooo fun, it was soooo hard! I was drenched, sweat pouring in my eyes- I had never worked out that hard that I sweat so much.
    Fast forward to now, I am a Zumba instructor. I teach 6-8 classes a week, including Aqua Zumba which is wicked brutal to teach, (hot, not in pool, slippery, humid, chemicals-ect). I also try to incorporate 2 days of weight training, either with free weights or Body Pump. I'll be taking my Body Pump certification this year.
    So almost every class I teach, I'll get someone new on their fitness journey, and I tell them my story- (shorter version- only if they ask or share concerns about doing the class), I tell them we are all on our journey- I am halfway to where I want to be- I am not there yet. But I will be! One day at a time, one change at a time. Crash diets won't work, they will crash your success, and set you up for failure. So will crash workouts- make small changes, try new things, set yourself up for long term success! :)
  • MissJJ74
    MissJJ74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    When I got the diabetes!!

This.

What made me go to the doctor for a check up (and ending up finding out I indeed did have diabetes) was watching my mother end up in ICU with fluid in her lungs, her kidneys failing, her heart failing and blood sugar over 700.

I knew diabetes ran in my family, and the minute the doctor told me I had it, I was determined not to end up in the state my mother was in. She's now proud of the weight I've lost.

The other kicker was realizing that I was the same weight and waist size as my BF who is 7 inches taller than me. :grumble: :embarassed:

Another kicker - realizing if I was to gain any more weight I would have to start shopping in the plus size section, something I never had to do in my life.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    When I stepped on the scale and saw I weighed 252 pounds. I realized my weight was closer to 300 than 200, and for some reason that scared me. I made a promise to myself that day that I would get to goal.... even if it took me the rest of my life to do. Took me 6 1/2 years, but I did it!
  • pineapple1989
    pineapple1989 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I was in a nightclub dancing with 3 friends, I caught a look at myself in the mirror and actually didnt recognise myself, when I compared myself to my 3 friends I just thought "Oh god I'm 22 and I'm a complete mess! How did I let this happen!" Coincidentally it was New Years Eve, but I didnt make a resolution or anything to lose weight. Then about 4 or 5 days later I woke up and thought "I shall start a diet today, I wont be like that anymore"

1 year on and I'm 3.5 stone lighter and much happier, still a way to go but I am pleased with my progress so far.
  • miss_bliss
    Options
    I had a birthday weekend away in london when I was nearly 19 stone...met a guy who gave me directions, who proceeded to rub my belly as he left...and told me to look after my baby (stating the obvious I WASN'T pregnant)

the next day I went to a club...and got turned away after two hours queuing...and as I walked away from the club embarrassed enough already, I heard the guy turn to the bouncer and say "did you see the size of her? of course Im not letting her in"

THE NEXT day...I had a date...and the guy I went out with swapped numbers with my friend within minutes of meeting her when we bumped into her...while I was at the bar buying them both drinks...

Went home in tears...and have never looked back...lost 4 stone since then! x
  • MontanaStwbrry
    MontanaStwbrry Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am now down to 1 pair of jeans that fit... and they are extremely tight (which is pretty hot), and 1 pair of lounge pants.
    I'm almost 200 lbs.... I can't hit 200.... I've been there before.
    I'm sick of my gut flopping over my pants and my hippo shaped *ss.
    Tired of my gut hurting cuz my jeans cut into it when I lift my foot to tie my shoe.
    Tired of hearing "well you sure carry it well" - which i know is a compliment that I don't look as fat as I am lol.. but still....
    I think I saw a kankle on my wrists yesterday.
    I have baby powder in my bathroom and beside my bed so that all the fat glides around itself instead of sticking together... Yeah, you're welcome for that..... OH and I carry little travel sized ones for my thighs when it's skirt wearing time. REALLY tired of that. I'm afraid i'm going to sit down sometime and a little poof of baby powder is going to blow out.... I'd almost just rather fart than have that happen.

I'm lucky that my self image and self worth is not controlled by my weight (anymore). I know now that I'm beautiful inside and out, I'm funny, I'm happy, my glass is always half full (of wine)..... I am just tired of the discomforts that comes with being a fatty and the thought of buying bigger clothes because I can't manage some discipline is pretty sad.
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Stepping on the scale and seeing 175lbs when I thought I weighed 150.
    Normal weight for someone my size is 120.
  • Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    When the scale red 149.3 pounds. I was the heaviest I'd ever been, and I was rapidly on track to being obese like my mom (& all of her family). I was rapidly close to weighing more than my husband.
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    when my libido dropped significantly due to lack of self confidence and no longer finding myself attractive. I've always had a lesser talked about body image issue which is that I've always looked in the mirror and saw someone far more attractive than whats really there. May not sound so bad but it's very self defeating when you use that to make excusses for yourself to not diet and exercise. At one point I was around 290 and I was so blah with myself that I literally was no longer attractive to myself which made me feel not attractive to anyone else or even attracted TO anyone (including my poor husband). At that point I said enoughs enough, time to face the music.
  • thatbelinda
    thatbelinda Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I was shopping in H&M and the clothes I tried on didn't fit. My friend said "try the next size up" and I had to explain to her that the size I was trying was the biggest size they sold.
  • maybemarina
    maybemarina Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I pointed to a woman who I thought was WAY larger than me and jokingly asked my husband, "Honey, do you think I'm about her size?" And hesitated for a few moments, then said, "Well, I think your butt is smaller, but pretty much." It stung.. but it was definitely a reality check.
  • Raybug0903
    Raybug0903 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    When I reached over 200 lbs. Yikes!
  • FITmrsroe
    FITmrsroe Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    First time: When I had to buy size 16 jeans and wear them to my sister's graduation party because a size Large dress was not flattering on me according to my mother

(fast forward 2.5 years)

Second time: When my size 12 pants were getting tight and I said there was no way I was going to buy bigger pants and I should have been at my goal weight by this point!

I may have kept off the weight from 2.5 years ago, but I should have never stopped losing. I'm not quitting this time until I reach my actual goal weight!
  • Aphrodite3010
    Aphrodite3010 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    For me it was getting accidentally pregnant with my second baby and weighing more at the beginning of that pregnancy than I did at the end of my first with my son. I ultimately decided to change for my babies, I wanted to be around a really long time to raise them and be the mother I had always envisioned! I want to be the mom who can run with her kids, is PROUD and EXCITED to be pictured with them and doesn't get slowed down by her body.....I'm about half way there and I love the way I'm starting to look...I only wish my husband felt the same way and wanted to make the change...