How often do you weigh yourself?

Options

Replies

• unfeigned
    unfeigned Posts: 30
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. I find it is easier to develop habits for tasks that are done daily rather than weekly. My scale is next to the shower and I just step on before getting into the shower and before eating anything each morning. It takes 20 seconds.

My scale is a good strain gauge scale from Tanita that is accurate. Before I step on the scale I try to estimate what it is going to say. Take the reading, see the result, and think why weight went up or down.

I used to see wide fluctuations in my weight day to day but cut that down my watching sodium intake. Once I started following sodium guidelines from DASH, the wide fluctuations went away. I cut down on salty foods such as olives, pickles, mustard, cheese and processed foods.

I take the last three days of each month and take the weighted average. Comparing the month to month numbers are a good way to trend over the long term.

THIS! Every morning after waking up (and toilet :happy: ) I do the same procedure: "Before I step on the scale I try to estimate what it is going to say. Take the reading, see the result, and think why weight went up or down."

I do it because I feel that that way I am getting to now my body better. But I think that as time goes by, I will stop doing it everyday and go for weekly measurement.
  • a778c466
    a778c466 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Everyday. I only record a loss if I see it for two days in a row or so. I don't have an official weigh in day. I measure once a month.
  • long2know
    long2know Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Daily ... usually in the mornings..

31808073.png
  • petitegreek
    petitegreek Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Once a week -- every Friday morning :)
  • Fatbirdtalking
    Options
    I usually check 2x a week but only note and record my Thursday weigh-in.
  • Bella0608
    Bella0608 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Normally once a week but I have just started 30ds so not going to jump on that scale now till day 30 :)
  • vkw1
    vkw1 Posts: 88
    Options
    "Officially" once a week but in reality, once a day to keep myself on track
  • Morgalla
    Morgalla Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I tend to go over for calories on the weekends, but am under Monday through Thursday. So I weigh every other Thursday, so the differences will shake out and reflect my hard work, not my weekend overindulgences. Weighing on a Monday is masochism...as is weighing daily. That just sets you up for disappointment (at least it does me)In fact, I don't keep a scale- I weigh on the same one at the gym for consistency instead.
  • johnnyboytaylor
    Options
    I usually weigh myself daily but I only record it on Monday mornings when I get up before I eat breakfast to try and keep the same conditions each time
  • Juliew518
    Juliew518 Posts: 17
    Options
    Every day when I wake up. Like someone said, I like to be aware of the fluctuations and don't obsess if nothing happens or even goes up. If you are taking in less than you are using you will lose weight.
  • Resa52
    Resa52 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Monday morning between 11 and noon
  • jehavin
    jehavin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Every morning after I get up, before I jump in the shower. I track my weight on here, and, because I know that weight fluctuates, I wait until I see a number about three days in a row before I update my progress. Once a week won't work for me because of those fluctuations. I think it would be frustrating for it to show up one lb less or more than I "average" on a Monday, and then for me not to know (and adjust my carbs/cals/salt) accordingly until the next Monday. Easier just for me to keep tabs, (not overreact if it's just one or two "false" weights,) and that helps me be mindful and motivated. BTW, now I track my weight because I am gaining in my third trimester of pregnancy. This method also helps me not freak out if the scale says I gained two pounds overnight (and the goal is one pound a week,) because I don't "believe" it or change my settings on MFP until I see the same number 3 times. It's helped a lot with this pregnancy: not to be oblivious or to be obsessed with not gaining but in the middle!
  • txbelle01
    txbelle01 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Everyday, as I lose I track it. It also helps me keep my eye on the prize! Reaching Goal! :)
  • ForABetterMe89
    Options
    I weigh myself every single morning. I know it may seem a little obsessive, but it gets my day off to the right foot. It lets me know if I'm doing good, or if that donut i snuck last night that put me over my 400 calories was really worth it. I like to see the scare go up and down, even by just a few ounces to see how I'm doing.
  • TattedInStilettos
    TattedInStilettos Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    i weigh in once a week usally on sunday or monday...
  • Bootjockey
    Bootjockey Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Daily.

It's not what's generally recommended, but, it works for me. I'm not the type who gets discouraged and quits because it goes up .2 pounds every now and then. :-)

-BootJockey
  • redking1012
    redking1012 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Every weekday between 7-730. I rarely get up that early on the weekend.
  • Andrew_peter
    Andrew_peter Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Aim for once every two weeks as the surprise of weight loss is the best when it's like 4+ lbs in one shot!!
  • jehavin
    jehavin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Aim for once every two weeks as the surprise of weight loss is the best when it's like 4+ lbs in one shot!!

All I could think when I read this was---or 4lbs of gain! This is why I weigh so often; I would hate to not know I was gaining (or not losing) and be able to self-correct. But I'm glad that weighing less often works for a lot of other people =)
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    daily