Eating "junk" and losing weight?

Options

Replies

• krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I'm probably one of these people you're talking about. I never cut out anything when I was losing weight, and I'm not about to cut it out now that I'm maintaining. So yes, you see cupcakes and slurpees and pizza and burgers in my diary on a regular basis. However, I do try and focus on eating mostly healthy food, hitting my macros and overall calorie goal. I refuse to assign food labels such as "good" or "bad" or "junk". If at the end of the day I have the carbs and calories left over to enjoy a slurpee, I'm going to have the slurpee, and enjoy every sip of it.

As for how quickly I lost, I lost my weight at an average pace of just over a pound a week, exactly as fast as I wanted to lose it.

You took the words right out of my mouth! Most days, I eat pretty well, but I'm sure not going to deny myself dessert or hamburger and fries now and then :tongue:
  • marynificent
    marynificent Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    p.s. be as angry as you want to be about it, but science will always trump anecdotal experience.
    Spoken like someone with no real life experience.

haha! that is the funniest thing i have heard all day!
    Can science confirm that?

Your mom confirmed it already. Anecdotal experience, like a boss!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    p.s. be as angry as you want to be about it, but science will always trump anecdotal experience.

Did that just happen?

I think it just happened.

God I love this site.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Why on earth would I omit something that I would normally include during maintenance? Too much restriction coupled with a rigid definition of eating "clean" leads to a high level of non-compliance. With that said, I am sojourning to the wonderful oasis called Ice Creamia.
  • Stormchasegrl
    Stormchasegrl Posts: 61 Member
    Options

p.p.s. heavy smokers are also thinner than non-smokers - if weight is the most important indicator of health, perhaps we should all look into smoking!

p.p.p.s. j.k. about the smoking! terrible habit!
    [/quote

This made me LOL. Not sarcastically at all. I'm a scientist and I appreciate your humor :-).
  • Stormchasegrl
    Options

Owned. Like a boss.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I see SO many people on here who have their diaries open and eat more than half of their calories from what's considered "junk" food. What's the deal with this?! I realize I'm the one with 150 pounds left to lose, but wouldn't these people be losing more if they would eat fruits and vegetables at every meal? I'm striving for 75% fresh food. Is that maybe unrealistic? And there are people losing .5 pounds per week but eating candy, chips, etc. Would it not make a difference if they'd eat real food instead? Maybe I'm just confused!

Change your definition of "junk." I don't consider food to be "junk" if I am hungry. It's only "junk" if I eat when I'm not hungry.
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I eat what many people would call "junk" on once or twice a week. I eat in moderation. I am active, healthy, energetic and I have maintained a 125lbs weight loss for almost 2 years. If you don't like what cooking in my kitchen then GET OUT. Sheesh why would you care about what other people eat anyway?
  • PosterGuy1
    PosterGuy1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I eat clean because I don't trust myself.
  • Stormchasegrl
    Options

Good for you! Seriously, it takes a lot of strength to admit that and take control of it! Wish you the best!
  • PosterGuy1
    PosterGuy1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options

Good for you! Seriously, it takes a lot of strength to admit that and take control of it! Wish you the best!

Thank you. I began this journey on 1/1, and I've already lost 46 pounds. Eating clean has been great.
  • Stormchasegrl
    Options

Thank you. I began this journey on 1/1, and I've already lost 46 pounds. Eating clean has been great.

That's great! Keep up the good work!! :flowerforyou:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I happily and unapologetically eat what other people might classify as junk. Candy bars, pizza, cup cakes, etc. I can't see how perhaps 10% of what I eat is going to undo the 90% that's non-junk and make me an unhealthy person.
  • Stormchasegrl
    Options
    I happily and apologetically eat what other people might classify as junk. Candy bars, pizza, cup cakes, etc. I can't see how perhaps 10% of what I eat is going to undo the 90% that's non-junk and make me an unhealthy person.
    ^^This!! But do you mean un-apologetically?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I happily and apologetically eat what other people might classify as junk. Candy bars, pizza, cup cakes, etc. I can't see how perhaps 10% of what I eat is going to undo the 90% that's non-junk and make me an unhealthy person.

Yes. That's what I get for blindly following spell check's suggestion. :blushing:
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It is pretty sad what most people seem to put in their bodies.
  • Stormchasegrl
    Options

Yes. That's what I get for blindly following spell check's suggestion. :blushing:

No worries! I only wanted to be sure you meant what I thought you did! :-)
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I eat "junk" from time to time because I'm not on a "diet". I'm on a lifestyle change, but that doesn't mean I have to give up things I love. I just eat less of it.

It shouldn't concern you what others eat or don't eat. You are in charge of your journey. Let others be in charge of theirs.
  • Blakelynn3
    Blakelynn3 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm jumping in without reading all 6 pages. I'm just starting out and if my diary were public, you'd see plenty of 'junk'. I'm slowly changing my eating habits. And I'm learning moderation. If I go out to eat, I order what I want and eat less of it. If I am eating fast food, I'll get a grilled chicken sandwich (dry - no heaps of mayo!). I'll also get an occassional coke when I'm out since I stopped buying them at the grocery store. At home, I am making mostly the same recipes that I used to eat but I'm subbing a lot of ingredients for healthier versions. So far, it's working for me. I firmly believe that all things are ok in moderation and that I have to take baby steps so I don't burn myself out. As I lose more weight, my calorie deficit will get smaller. By the time that happens, by slowly working toward a cleaner diet, I'll be in a place where I have a healthy relationship with food again. I don't think it's a good idea (for me) to go from extreme overindulgence of food to the opposite extreme overnight.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    <----Eats my fair share of what some might refer to as "junk" or "bad". Healthy weight and all numbers are in the healthy range.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/research-review-the-dirt-on-clean-eating-written-by-nutrition-expert-alan-aragon.html
    All-or-Nothing Dieting & Eating Disorder Risk
    In 1997, a general physician named Steven Bratman coined the term orthorexia nervosa [21], which he defines as, “an unhealthy obsession with eating healthy food.” It reminds me of the counterproductive dietary perfectionism I’ve seen among many athletes, trainers, and coaches. One of the fundamental pitfalls of dichotomizing foods as good or bad, or clean or dirty, is that it can form a destructive relationship with food. This isn’t just an empty claim; it’s been seen in research. Smith and colleagues found that flexible dieting was associated with the absence of overeating, lower bodyweight, and the absence of depression and anxiety [22]. They also found that a strict all-or-nothing approach to dieting was associated with overeating and increased bodyweight. Similarly, Stewart and colleagues found that rigid dieting was associated with symptoms of an eating disorder, mood disturbances, and anxiety [23]. Flexible dieting was not highly correlated with these qualities.
    Although these are observational study designs with self-reported data, anyone who spends enough time among fitness buffs knows that these findings are not off the mark.