At what point does weight become unattractive?

Options

Replies

• vikkistarr89
    vikkistarr89 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Yeah thats true, confidence is a big factor. I notice a big difference in the way people hold themselves!

I definately agree with the person that said that muscle definition is a factor!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    30294516.jpg
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    I must admit, comments from people walking past saying fit or fat or whatever I completely ignore. What is attractive to one may not be for another. Plus they tend to be a bunch of young muppets who eat crap and will lose their fast metabolisms soon enough when they hit my age.

I've never felt comfortable in any particular size and when I was younger slim or not I still had trouble attracting men when I was out and about. Now I have met someone who loves me for me and has made me realise what a waste of time people's opinions on how you look are!
  • PaulJRaymond
    PaulJRaymond Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Marilyn Monroe was a UK size 16. Just thought I'd throw that in there.
  • bruningfat
    Options
    Sorry but I think the original post was correct. Obesity is not healthy. There is no way you can eat right and exercise and be fat, yet healthy. Maybe you are accepting and feel like you are contect with your weight and life style, but medically speaking, there is no healthy in being obese.
  • sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    My husband thinks the size I am now (US 4/6) is unattractive. I am pretty solidly built, I do weights 3 times a week. When I met him, I was a size 0, and the very definition of "skinny fat". He really dislikes the way I look now, but it has more to do with the fact that I look too big to him because my body has filled out. He likes the starving/frail look. It's all opinion, I don't think you're going to get a satisfactory answer to your question.
  • jml_25
    jml_25 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    that is not completely true either. I am pretty overweight and very healthy. My blood pressure is rarely over 110/65 and most of the time less. I get blood work every year and come back with perfect sugar, cholesterol, and blood cells. Every once in awhile I will be low on iron but not enough to concern my dr. (while preggo though I have to take iron supp) So you can be healthy and overweight. I joined the Army and was considered overweight for height/weight. They did measurements and figured by body fat % I was indeed within the limits and I went on to boot camp and rocked it! I could do 98 sit ups in 2 mins when req was only 53. I could do 45 push ups in 2 mins when req were only 19. I couldn't run worth crap though. If you are short and very muscular you can have a overweight bmi
  • watcheronthewall
    Options
    Actually different cultures differ on this and so it's not really a nature but a nurture thing. For example, the underlying assumption in the West is slimmer = better health and therefore people tend to be more attracted to smaller sizes. That's without even getting started on the media's influence on the whole thing.

I think judging a woman by her size or dress size is incredibly sexist.
  • carmelstsurin
    carmelstsurin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What kind of metrics are you using to say that? If her cholesterol, blood pressure, level of overall fitness ( how long she can run without stopping, or how many flights of steps before she's out of breath) is pretty good, and she is just 20 lbs away from her goal, how can you say she's not healthy? There are athletes who are considered overweight in our bmi metrics but are very obviously not. This reaction reflects this one size fits all bmi that is sometimes erroneous. My ex bf is body builder and his doctor looked at his lean muscular body that is flexible and strong and she told him he was borderline obese. That's ridiculous.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Obviously it is different for everyone. However, with the way the world is now anything over a size like 8 is considered too big due to the media. The ideal of an attractive woman has changed a lot over the years and is different with different cultures.

One thing I have learned though is that if you are confident in yourself regardless of your size, you will be much more attractive even if you are larger.
  • carmelstsurin
    carmelstsurin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • eAddict
    eAddict Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Yeah that's true, confidence is a big factor. I notice a big difference in the way people hold themselves!
    This.
    I definitely agree with the person that said that muscle definition is a factor!
    Hard to verify that in the winter.

Personally and honestly I try no to judge. I was big at one time mostly due to inertia. Some folks might say I am still too large (I am still 'overweight by BMI standards) A friend of mine is big because of a major medical condition. Not much right now she can do in her live do to meds. My MIL was big until she had her thyroid checked... she was healthy but could not drop pounds. Once on the correct meds she has slimmed.

Each of us has our own story. Yes, people will judge but what matters most is how you feel about yourself. I could give a crap about anyone's opinion outside of my immediate family. THEY know the daily struggles. If you don't want to get to know me because I might be a tad large for you then it is your loss.

...whew. that turned into a rant rather quickly. Now back to your normal thread...
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    For me weight just isn't a factor in attractiveness. My ex-boyfriend was and is extremely overweight, his personality however is stellar and I loved him dearly. My ex-fiance was very fit (in the Navy) but that had nothing to do with why I was planning on marrying him. My fiancee is overweight as am I - I love her regardless and think she's the most beautiful woman in the world as far as I'm concerned. Attraction for me personally is very much deeper - you can be the most "fit" person in the world and have the most horrible personality - THAT makes you unattractive, not the size of your clothes.

I will ALWAYS be overweight, there's no getting around it. At my current LBM, if I get down to what's considered normal for my height/frame size, I will actually have too little body fat...which is SO not normal but that's the truth of the matter.
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I think its impossible to put a number on this question. Example. I am was a uk 8-10 before i had my children. I felt great and had guys sniffing around a lot (uninvited of course) i ballooned to a size 20-22 after children and felt worse then awful about myself who used to be a confident outgoing person. 1 of my bff's is in a size 20 and happy as a pig in poop and her confidence radiates. She puts great effort into her looks by buying flattering, fashionable clothes yet when i was that size i was so unhappy i would try and avoid going out to the local shop never mind social events. She gets a lot of attention regardless of her size as she is happy. So in a nut shell i don't think size in general matters its about how the individual deals with their size. If they are happy then they will attract attention and remain fun and outgoing. I know many "skinny" people who are misrable so it works both ways i think.

Individuals perception of fat differs as the way people carry weight differs Ie apples and pears etc.. My aim is to have a healthy BMI what i look and feel like when i get there only time will tell, but is any1 ever 100% happy with their bodies no matter how big or small they are?
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    You know what, this is an un-answerable question because as I see it, beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder. What floats one person's boat sinks someone else's. Theres's no one idea of attractive that fits everyone's tastes. Too chubby in one person's eyes could be just right in another persons eyes. Some people dislike too much muscle, as we have seen many times on threads on here lol. It really is all about individual taste IMO.
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Since you're just asking for *opinion's* .....

For me, looking at women, it's about what I call the boobs-to-belly ratio.
    Personally, I like very "fit" looking women, and a six-pack makes me swoon.
    I can also appreciate curvy -- Scarlett Johansson can come visit me ANY time at all. (It really helps that she's smart and snarky as well).
    Christina Hendricks is also welcome to visit at any time. =)
    But if I go to give a girl a hug, and hit belly before I hit boobs -- that's a complete turn off for me.

Everyone is different though, and to each their own.
  • kmluecht
    kmluecht Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Shallow topic. Attraction is more than weight. This is body shaming.
  • vikkistarr89
    Options
    Marilyn Monroe was a UK size 16. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

I looked into that, and yeah she was a size 16, but that was 60 years ago!

Portion size and dress sizes have changed to fit todays life styles, and people have got taller aswell. So she was a size 16 back then, but if she was the same now, she'd be a size 12 (uk)
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    All I can say is your friend sounds like a douche for saying that!

Totally.
  • vikkistarr89
    Options
    Shallow topic. Attraction is more than weight. This is body shaming.

I wouldn't say this is body shaming. It is a shallow topic but then again, so what?

A person must be attracted to their other half to a certain point, and if I cant ask this question on here, then where else can I ask it.