What do you sweeten your coffee with?!?!

Options
13»

Replies

• mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    In response to another poster, if you online research you will actually find no evidence of negative health effects from Splenda. I don't use it, I use Truvia, but there's nothing wrong with Splenda that anyone's been able to show. It has never been linked to cancer, and one study on rats that showed negative effects in other ways was later discounted by experts.

From Livstrong: "According to the findings of a study involving rats, that appeared in the October 2009 issue of "Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology," sucralose yielded negative health effects. Researchers found that sucralose interfered with nutrient absorption, increased body weight and decreased the amount of beneficial bacteria in the intestines. Since these findings are not consistent with other studies, the study was reviewed by an expert panel. This panel found fault with the design and outcomes of the study and found that the data did not support the finding that sucralose yielded adverse health effects."

I wouldn't say we know for sure that this sweetener has no effects on us, but none have been shown so far, and everything has some effect on us.
  • sailorsgirl86
    Options
    If you do some online research you'll find that the artificial sweeteners are known to cause cancer amongst other things. If you are looking for a 0 calorie sweetener that is truly natural, try Stevia. It is a plant that you can grow in your yard if you wish. The leaves are super sweet if you were to taste them. They use the leaves to create the product, which looks like a fine sugar. There are many brands out there, but look for one that is pure Stevia and doesn't contain any other fillers/additives. It has a little (very minor) taste to it and it's very sweet and the best part, no calories and no carcinogens!

I've heard that it can cause cancer, even if nothing's been proven it's probably better to stop putting chemicals in my body. I'm going to have a look out for some stevia, thank you :)
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I don't.

I used to use sugar but I stopped that and now I just add a little bit of milk or non-dairy (unflavored) creamer.
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I add chocolate protein powder to my coffee. I won't use artificial sweeteners and just adding sugar alone seems to make the coffee wasted calories. With the protein powder at least, it gives the whole drink purpose.

careful...unless you are buying expensive protein powder...ever wonder why it's sweet and low-carb at the same time?? artificial sweetners. not saying YOU are using a kind like this, but wanted to point it out to everyone reading. :)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Nothing at all. I roast and grind my own coffee and buy some of the best free trade organic beans I can. I don't want anything getting in the way of the flavor and character of that.
  • randimarie1125
    randimarie1125 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Stevia, if there is no stevia around then I just drink it black. :drinker:

Stevia : )
  • randimarie1125
    randimarie1125 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    If you do some online research you'll find that the artificial sweeteners are known to cause cancer amongst other things. If you are looking for a 0 calorie sweetener that is truly natural, try Stevia. It is a plant that you can grow in your yard if you wish. The leaves are super sweet if you were to taste them. They use the leaves to create the product, which looks like a fine sugar. There are many brands out there, but look for one that is pure Stevia and doesn't contain any other fillers/additives. It has a little (very minor) taste to it and it's very sweet and the best part, no calories and no carcinogens!

I've heard that it can cause cancer, even if nothing's been proven it's probably better to stop putting chemicals in my body. I'm going to have a look out for some stevia, thank you :)

Stevia is pretty good! i drink it with my coffee and on my cereal!
  • thirstyflea
    thirstyflea Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I used to use tons of sugar (and cream), but I've weened myself off onto Splenda. I know Truvia/Stevia stuff is "better" for you, but it tastes too funny to me... I also use fat free half and half. Not perfect, but I only have 2 big coffees a day, so I'll do chemicals as long as I get my caffeine!

And with the cancer causing arguments all over here? Yeah, if you use like pounds of it a day, everyday! I don't really like tons of chemicals in my body either, but I also don't think "eating clean" 100% of the time is going to prevent you getting cancer. Just sayin'.
  • mrincredible93
    Options
    I add chocolate protein powder to my coffee. I won't use artificial sweeteners and just adding sugar alone seems to make the coffee wasted calories. With the protein powder at least, it gives the whole drink purpose.

careful...unless you are buying expensive protein powder...ever wonder why it's sweet and low-carb at the same time?? artificial sweetners. not saying YOU are using a kind like this, but wanted to point it out to everyone reading. :)

Thanks for the warning. I use powder with actual real sugar in it (not HFCS) but not a lot. I don't mind the carbs it contributes because I'm also delivering 26 G of protein in a drink that otherwise has no other significant value other than getting me to open my eyes! Good point for others though.
  • dobenjam
    dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I don't put anything in my coffee. but I have thought about using the vanilla soy milk in it sometime and it comes "unsweetened" and normal. The normal should help sweeten your coffee.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Hot coffee gets sweetened with raw honey or turbinado sugar... mmm.

Iced coffee gets sweet n low unfortunately :\
  • Monica0430
    Monica0430 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm also a coffe lover I add a few drops fo liquid stevia and a splash of Fat free milk.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I take my coffee as black as my soul. Put anything in it and I'll bite!
  • nskerr
    nskerr Posts: 91
    Options
    1 splenda