stuffed peppers

Options

Replies

• poundis
    poundis Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I got this recipe off of MFP awhile back. It is awesome!!!

Stuffed Pepper "Burrito Bowls"
    Ingredients:

1 medium bell pepper
    2 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast
    1/4 cup black beans
    1/4 cup corn
    1/4 of a lime
    2 tbsp chopped onion
    1 poblano pepper
    2 tbsp Tostitos medium queso
    1 tbsp light cream cheese
    1 tsp cumin
    1 slice fat free cheddar
    2 tsp breadcrumbs

Instructions:

(Preheat oven to 350)

1. Cook your chicken in whatever manner you want. I just toss mine in a saute pan until it's done. Roast the poblano as well, and peel the skin off afterwards.

2. Chop up the chicken and the poblano into small pieces. Throw them in a bowl with the corn, black beans, onion, queso and cream cheese. Squeeze the lime over the mixture and add the cumin and salt to taste. Mix it all around well.

3. Slice the bell pepper in half lengthwise to make two little "bowls", then take the seeds and veins out. Place on a baking sheet w/ parchment paper.

4. Fill the peppers bowls with your stuffing. Put them in the oven for 25 minutes. (I had more stuffing than I needed to stuff my peppers...so I ate the rest with a fork while I waited for it to cook laugh )

5. After 25 mins, put half a slice of cheese and 1 tsp breadcrumbs on top of each pepper half. Bake for five more minutes, then broil for four.

Calories: 307
    Carbs: 39 g (9 g fiber)
    Fat: 6 g
    Protein: 26 g
    Edited by Hrl1993 on Sat 06/09/12 02:01 PM
  • JacquelineD35
    JacquelineD35 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • nikki_zav
    nikki_zav Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Last night I took the Stuffed Pepper Soup and turned it into a Crock Pot Recipe. Amazing!!

Crockpot Stuffed Pepper Soup

Ingredients:

3 cups cooked brown rice
    1 lb 95% lean ground beef
    2 chopped green bell peppers
    1 chopped red bell pepper
    1 cup finely diced onion
    3 cloves garlic, chopped
    2 cans (14.5 oz each) cans petite diced tomatoes
    2 small cans tomato sauce
    2 cups reduced sodium, fat-free chicken broth
    1 tsp dried marjoram
    1 tbsp dill weed
    1 tbsp orageno
    salt and fresh pepper to taste
    1 lemon

Directions:

In a large saucepan, brown ground meat and sweat the onions (till translucent) on medium-high heat and season with salt. Add garlic. Cook about 3 minutes on low heat. Put meat, onion, garlic mixture in the crock-pot. Turn the burner back to high and add in the chopped peppers once the pan is hot. Sautee those for about 3 - 5 min, until you get a slight roasted look to the peppers. Add to the crock-pot.

Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, marjoram, dill, orageno and season with salt and pepper to taste. (I used No-Salt tomotoes and sauce, so it took quite a bit of salt for mine to taste right.) If it tastes strongly acidic from the canned tomatoes, add in a pinch of sugar.

I put mine on low in the crock-pot for 4.5 hours. Serve the soup on top of rice (or any other grain or starch). I like to squeeze a slice of lemon over mine too (optional).

Nutrition Grade A
    * Based on a 2000 calorie diet
    8 Servings; Calories: 427 Fat: 6.4 g Carbs: 67.8 Fiber 6.3 g Sugars 7.3 g Protein 24 g Vitamin A 43% Vitamin C 120%
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I made these from skinnytaste.com and they were awesome - they were also good as leftovers for lunch!

Santa Fe Turkey Stuffed Peppers
    Skinnytaste.com
    Servings: 6 • Serving Size: 1/2 pepper • Old Points: 3 pts • Points+: 4 pts
    Calories: 160 • Fat: 3 g • Carbs: 19 g • Fiber: 4 g • Protein: 15.5 g • Sugar: 1 g
    Sodium: 119 (without salt)

Ingredients:

For the filling:

1/2 lb 99% lean ground turkey
    3/4 cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained
    3/4 cups frozen corn
    1 hot pickled serrano pepper, chopped (or jalepeño) more to taste
    1 large diced tomato
    1 cloves garlic, minced
    3 tbsp chopped onion
    2 tbsp chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
    1 tsp cumin
    kosher salt to taste

For the peppers:

3 red bell peppers, cut in half lengthwise
    1/3 cup reduced sodium, fat free chicken broth
    9 tbsp shredded reduced-fat Sargento Monterey Jack cheese
    1 tbsp chopped scallions, for garnish

Directions:

In a large skillet brown the turkey and season with salt. When the turkey is browned, add onion, garlic, black beans, cilantro, serrano pepper, diced tomatoes, and cumin. Mix well and simmer on low, covered for 20 minutes. Remove lid, add corn and simmer an additional 5 minutes or until all the liquid reduces.

Preheat oven to 350°. Cut peppers in half lengthwise, removing seeds and stem.

Place peppers, cut side up in an oven-proof dish. Fill each pepper with 1/2 cup turkey mixture. Pour about 1/3 cup water or chicken broth on the bottom of the dish. Cover tight with foil. Bake 45-50 minutes, or until the peppers become soft.

Remove foil, top each with 1 1/2 tbsp of cheese and bake uncovered an additional 5 minutes. Top with scallions and serve with reduced-fat sour cream if desired (optional).

Makes 6 servings.
  • ryvenna
    ryvenna Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    mmm i'll have to try this
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Stuffed Bell Pepper Recipe

Yields: 4 servings
    Prep time: 35 min
    Cook time: 30 min

Ingredients:

4 medium-size sweet bell peppers (yellow, orange, green, or red)
    1/2 pound extra-lean ground beef (hamburger)
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/4 cup minced onion
    1 medium carrot, shredded
    1 can (28-ounce) tomatoes with liquid, cut up
    1/2 cup uncooked long-grain rice
    1 tablespoon firmly-packed brown sugar
    1/4 teaspoon dried basil
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Tomato ketchup or shredded cheese (your choice)*

* Remember, if you add shredded cheese to the top of your stuffed peppers, you will be adding additional calories.

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cut the tops off each pepper; pull out the stem portion and seeds. Chop enough of the tops to make 1/3 cup. Clean out the rest of the pepper so no seeds remain and the center ribs are carved out to make room for the stuffing. If pepper does not stand up straight, slice a little off the bottom of the pepper to level it out.

In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, either steam or cook peppers in boiling water until crisp-tender, about 4 to 5 minutes. NOTE: Your time may vary according to the size of the peppers. You want it to have just a slight crunch when you eat it. Be careful not to overcook them or they will be soggy and hard to stuff.

Remove peppers from water and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process; drain and set aside.

In a large frying pan over medium heat, brown ground beef; add garlic, onion, carrot, and reserved chopped peppers; sauté until vegetables are tender. Add tomatoes, rice, brown sugar, basil, salt, and pepper. Cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook until the rice is tender, approximately 30 minutes. Remove from heat.

Place peppers in a baking dish. Stuff hot meat mixture into peppers. Drizzle tops with ketchup or shredded cheese. Bake approximately 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and serve immediately.

Makes 4 servings (1 stuffed pepper per serving).

Per Serving - 5.6 Fat Grams, 197.8 calories

I made these Monday and they're delish!

My particular ingredients had the calorie count come in at 203 calories per serving - wonderful! I love that a serving is a whole stuffed pepper - - - not half.
  • keenercam
    keenercam Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    There are some delicious-sounding variations here that I never would have thought of. Thank you to everyone who took time to post recipes!
  • mka2881
    mka2881 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Baloo
    Baloo Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • trishgrace
    Options
    Box of Quinoa cooked, 1 lb lean ground meat (we use deer), 1 large can hot rotella tomatoes not drained, 1 can black beans (rinsed) 1 can corn (drained and rinsed). Mix them all up with a packet of taco seasoning (the low sodium kind) and then stuff them into peppers and bake. You can top with a little cheese if you'd like. Depending on the size of peppers you can make a very large batch with this recipe.
  • purple_orchid
    purple_orchid Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Stuffed Bell Pepper Recipe

Yields: 4 servings
    Prep time: 35 min
    Cook time: 30 min

Ingredients:

4 medium-size sweet bell peppers (yellow, orange, green, or red)
    1/2 pound extra-lean ground beef (hamburger)
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/4 cup minced onion
    1 medium carrot, shredded
    1 can (28-ounce) tomatoes with liquid, cut up
    1/2 cup uncooked long-grain rice
    1 tablespoon firmly-packed brown sugar
    1/4 teaspoon dried basil
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Tomato ketchup or shredded cheese (your choice)*

* Remember, if you add shredded cheese to the top of your stuffed peppers, you will be adding additional calories.

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cut the tops off each pepper; pull out the stem portion and seeds. Chop enough of the tops to make 1/3 cup. Clean out the rest of the pepper so no seeds remain and the center ribs are carved out to make room for the stuffing. If pepper does not stand up straight, slice a little off the bottom of the pepper to level it out.

In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, either steam or cook peppers in boiling water until crisp-tender, about 4 to 5 minutes. NOTE: Your time may vary according to the size of the peppers. You want it to have just a slight crunch when you eat it. Be careful not to overcook them or they will be soggy and hard to stuff.

Remove peppers from water and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process; drain and set aside.

In a large frying pan over medium heat, brown ground beef; add garlic, onion, carrot, and reserved chopped peppers; sauté until vegetables are tender. Add tomatoes, rice, brown sugar, basil, salt, and pepper. Cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook until the rice is tender, approximately 30 minutes. Remove from heat.

Place peppers in a baking dish. Stuff hot meat mixture into peppers. Drizzle tops with ketchup or shredded cheese. Bake approximately 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and serve immediately.

Makes 4 servings (1 stuffed pepper per serving).

Per Serving - 5.6 Fat Grams, 197.8 calories

I just came to report that I made this recipe for lunch today, and it was both delicious and filling. It's also a reasonably clean recipe. I was afraid that one stuffed pepper might be not be filling, but it was plenty of food for me. Also, I only steamed the cleaned out peppers upside down for 3 minutes and then baked them for 20 minutes at the end, but I think they would have been even better if I had gone the full 30 minutes baking time.

I entered my ingredients into the calculator and came out with 308 calories, 42 carbs, 8g fat, 15 protein, and 5 fiber per pepper, but again, one was plenty.

My ingredients:
    Bell Pepper, Green - One Raw Medium, 4 medium (119.0g) 96 24 0 4 8 0
    Garlic - Clove, 1 clove 4 1 0 0 0 0
    Raw Yellow Onion - Chopped, 4 Tbls 60 4 0 0 0 0
    Generic - Carrot Raw - 1 Medium - 140g, 140 g / 1 medium 45 7 0 1 6 0
    Kirkland Signature - Organic Diced Tomatoes, 2 container (1 4/5 cups ea.) 105 21 0 7 7 0
    Domino - Light Brown Sugar, 4 tsp (4 g) 60 16 0 0 0 0
    Heinz - Ketchup, 4 Tbsp 80 20 0 0 0 0
    Generic - Beef, Grass-Fed, Ground 28 g, 224 g 440 0 32 40 0 0
    Blue Ribbon Golden - Parboiled - Long Grain Enriched Rice, 1/2 cup 340 74 0 8 0 0
    Add Ingredient
    Total: 1230 167 32 60 21 0
    Per Serving: 308 42 8 15 5 0
  • djcon
    djcon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Megz2006
    Megz2006 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later. I bought green bell peppers and quinoa this weekend to make stuffed bell peppers!
  • bethross1
    bethross1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this recipe. :)
  • wagner78
    wagner78 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Last night I took the Stuffed Pepper Soup and turned it into a Crock Pot Recipe. Amazing!!

Crockpot Stuffed Pepper Soup

Ingredients:

3 cups cooked brown rice
    1 lb 95% lean ground beef
    2 chopped green bell peppers
    1 chopped red bell pepper
    1 cup finely diced onion
    3 cloves garlic, chopped
    2 cans (14.5 oz each) cans petite diced tomatoes
    2 small cans tomato sauce
    2 cups reduced sodium, fat-free chicken broth
    1 tsp dried marjoram
    1 tbsp dill weed
    1 tbsp oregano
    salt and fresh pepper to taste
    1 lemon

Directions:

In a large saucepan, brown ground meat and sweat the onions (till translucent) on medium-high heat and season with salt. Add garlic. Cook about 3 minutes on low heat. Put meat, onion, garlic mixture in the crock-pot. Turn the burner back to high and add in the chopped peppers once the pan is hot. Sauté those for about 3 - 5 min, until you get a slight roasted look to the peppers. Add to the crock-pot.

Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, marjoram, dill, oregano and season with salt and pepper to taste. (I used No-Salt tomatoes and sauce, so it took quite a bit of salt for mine to taste right.) If it tastes strongly acidic from the canned tomatoes, add in a pinch of sugar.

I put mine on low in the crock-pot for 4.5 hours. Serve the soup on top of rice (or any other grain or starch). I like to squeeze a slice of lemon over mine too (optional).

Nutrition Grade A
    * Based on a 2000 calorie diet
    8 Servings; Calories: 427 Fat: 6.4 g Carbs: 67.8 Fiber 6.3 g Sugars 7.3 g Protein 24 g Vitamin A 43% Vitamin C 120%
    The one I shared was about the same as above but it was an oven one. So glad you came back to share you did it in a Crockpot and it worked just fine! Thanks again:wink:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Bumping for ideas!
  • mfrkorey
    mfrkorey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I used a recipe that was similar to the original recipe posted but used grated cauliflower instead of rice, for those of you staying away from rice/grains. yum!
  • anitaplus4
    anitaplus4 Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    bump. Thanks.