SWEET POTATO IDEAS PLEASE

Options

Replies

• zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Baked or microwaved, topped with a tablespoon of fresh ground almond butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

Also, I am trying this recipe later this week.
    http://lesliedurso.com/2012/11/quinoa-stuffed-sweet-potatoes/
  • estelle74uk
    estelle74uk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and coolwhip with a dash of cinnamon
    ummm... this could be the death of me right here.
    Lol its so good! Proceed with caution.

i had near enough the same yesterday for the first time. Sweet potato, covered in cinnamon and crunchy peanut butter, with a side of chicken :)
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I've heard (somewhere on MFP) that there's a recipe for low calorie sweet potato donuts!
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Bake, then stuff with ground turkey, red and green salsa and sour cream. YUM!
  • Amellej
    Amellej Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies everyone! plenty of great ideas :happy:
  • rhonsal
    rhonsal Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato and coconut soup - yum!

2 Sweet potatoes
    1 medium onion
    1 Litre chicken stock
    1 tbsp thai curry paste
    1 can coconut milk
    Juice 1 lime

Peel and chop onion & sweet potato and add to pan with stock and curry paste. Simmer until veg soft. Add coconut milk and lime juice - blend until smooth.

Makes 5 nice big portions.

I get this as 170 cals per portion but it will differ depending on weight of sweet potato and brand of coconut milk!
  • k_town78
    k_town78 Posts: 21
    Options
    I fry them up in coconut oil with regular potatoes, garlic, onions, and sometimes a bit of bacon. Great side dish, goes well with eggs too.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Sweet Potato falafel in pitta with healthy coleslaw:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/531629/sweet-potato-falafels-with-coleslaw

It is YUMMY!
  • smp0723
    smp0723 Posts: 88
    Options
    I'm following paleo and love to make sweet potato frittata! Diced sweet potatos, onion, red/orange/yellow peppers, sweet italian sausage (or your favorite sausage), eggs....all cooked and scrambled up. Very filling and very tasty!
  • chette78
    chette78 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I dont know if this was said or not yet but...

Sweet potatoes cut into wedges and baked with a drizzel of EVOO and rosemary ....YUMM!
    Or bake them with Italian Seasonings and Garlic powder...Just till they are brown and crispy!
  • KMaier6689
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of loaded sweet potatoes, but then again I love Mexican food. I usually steam the potato, then load it up with salsa, fresh tomato, green pepper, corn, a little scoop of light sour scream and a sprinkle of cheese. Right around 300 calories, easy, delicious and SUPER filling.
  • patty1138
    patty1138 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ekaustin7
    ekaustin7 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I love roasted sweet potatoes. I'll peel and dice 2 of them, then toss with olive oil, cumin, cinnamon, paprika and cayenne. I usually roast them at about 450 degrees until they start to darken/they're at the texture I want. They're fabulous.
  • Mbishop7684
    Mbishop7684 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have been dying to try this recipe I found on pinterest!

http://gourmandeinthekitchen.com/2012/baked-feta-stuffed-sweet-potato-recipe/

2 medium red skinned sweet potatoes, about 8-10oz each and scrubbed clean
    2 oz feta cheese
    2 oz black olives chopped
    1 oz sun dried tomatoes
    1/4 chopped fresh parsley
    1/2 tsp dried or 2 tsp fresh oregano, chopped
    1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste

1)Preheat the oven to 400F. Pierce each sweet potato several times with the tines of a fork. Place them directly on middle oven rack with a piece of foil on the rack below.

2)Bake until the sweet potatoes are easily pierced with a knife and cooked through, about 45-60 minutes depending on size.

3)Remove from oven and let stand until cool enough to handle.

4)While the sweet potatoes are baking, make the topping. Mix together remaining ingredients in a small bowl and set aside until the sweet potatoes are done.

5)Slice sweet potatoes lengthwise down the center to expose cooked insides, top with feta mixture and serve.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Bake for 1 hour and eat.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    They are amazing in African Chicken-Peanut stew.
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Marking for later :)
  • klk6355
    klk6355 Posts: 1
    Options
    I LOVE Sweet Potatoes and always look for new ways to eat them. I can suggest two:

1. Cut them extremely thin and lay them out on a cookie sheet. Baste them with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic salt. Broil for 15-20 minutes until they turn into "chips."

2. Boil them, mash them, put them in the microwave, etc...But, ultimately, when they are cooked, sprinkle them with brown sugar, garlic salt and chili powder. It makes a lovely mix of spicy/sweet/salty mix and is extremely flavorful!
  • dawnfto
    dawnfto Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Sweet Potato falafel in pitta with healthy coleslaw:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/531629/sweet-potato-falafels-with-coleslaw

It is YUMMY!

Mmmm yum! Thanks for sharing.