why are there some many fast food places?

Options

Replies

• iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    On the positive side...there are a great many more "healthier" choices on most fast food menus than there were just a few years ago.
    That's a response to public demand and the desire to mitigate legal issues.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    1232230308_dgqmf9.gif
  • falconmilk
    Options
    For the tools commenting on OPs use of punctuation - I suggest you read her profile.
  • amselby81
    amselby81 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately they won't go away until we can change the eating choices of others. The best thing to do is to just avoid them at all costs and don't judge those who eat there... they are the ones harming their own bodies.

LOL. How is eating the occasional big mac harming my body?

ETA: "until we can change the eating choices of others" ??? :noway:

Occasional is okay, but there are people who eat McDonalds almost every day. I used to work there, and it was disgusting that there were families who came to eat dinner at McD's at least 5 times a week. And the kids were eating full sized adult meals. Some kids as young as 10 were eating super sized adult meals.
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    People like fast, easy and convenient. There is a demand and they are supplying it.

Whether it is fast food, pharmaceuticals, or online education....They want it quick and they want it now.

Ahhh don't cha' love the smell of capitalism in the morning... $$

Ignorance fans the flames...
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Convenience, but you can work around it. When I get the call for a snack attack I like to get 5 hamburgers from McDonalds and only use one bun. You can even go completely bun-less and use a lettuce wrap.

Anyways, for my 5 stack with one bun - it is 650 calories / 44 protein / 37 fat / 33 carb
    It limits my fat macros for the rest of the day, but gives me more protein than carb which is great for a 40/40/20.

Bunless - it is 500 calories / 40 protein / 35 fat / 15 carb
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Because its fast. Food...
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    If you want to fix it, invest your money and open your own restaurant that serves the food you think people should be eating. Good luck.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    huh?
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Just heard an interesting NPR interview from an author who wrote about about the history of the processed food industry. I believe it is called, "Salt, Sugar, Fat" and has some sort of subtitle as well.

Anyway - one of the points I found most interesting was that Kraft food decided to try to make their processed foods healthier. Kraft is owned by Phillip Morris and after the tobacco lawuits, PM was afraid of being sued over obsesity.

Anyway - they reduced the amount of salt, sugar, and fat that their food scientists could use in foods. They met with the other major processed food companies and encouraged them to do the same. The other companies refused and Kraft began losing market share. So...they upped the limits on salt, sugar and fat again.

We as the consumers are the only ones who can make these companies change. Stop consuming what is bad for us and force healthier options. I hate to be a pessimist but it seems like a long shot.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    PM was afraid of being sued over obsesity.

This is the sad part. Someone being afraid of getting sued because adults can't stop shoveling food in their mouths and want someone else to blame when they end up obese.
  • rockangel8907
    rockangel8907 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Panera is not much better than any other fast food places. They have a Italian sandwich with over 1100 Cals. The salads and brothy soups aren't bad but the sandwiches are incredibly high calorie.
  • katellanova
    katellanova Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately they won't go away until we can change the eating choices of others. The best thing to do is to just avoid them at all costs and don't judge those who eat there... they are the ones harming their own bodies.

LOL. How is eating the occasional big mac harming my body?

ETA: "until we can change the eating choices of others" ??? :noway:

Occasional is okay, but there are people who eat McDonalds almost every day. I used to work there, and it was disgusting that there were families who came to eat dinner at McD's at least 5 times a week. And the kids were eating full sized adult meals. Some kids as young as 10 were eating super sized adult meals.

Must be nice, having so much time to judge...
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Convenience. Plain and simple. It's not all that bright but we're a busy bunch of people. I have exactly two hours each evening to get my children fed, bathed, read to, played with and put to bed.
    Now I don't do the fast food route often. Maybe once a month on a week night. But I can understand how people can get caught in the trap of time saving.

Crock pots and precooking make life just as easy though.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Because there is demand for these things. Where there is demand for healthy fast foods, there is supply -- there are 28 Prets in Midtown Manhattan. Because market supports it.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    We need places that is health Here is a few Fast food places Cook-out where i work and Cicis pizza and pizza hunt KFC we need to get more places that is better for us i have not had nothing to eat from cook-out in a year and so we need to fix this some how if you know what i mean
    I know it does seem like there is a fast food place everywhere you turn. I wish there were more healthy options easily available too, but the reality is that it's cheap to produce, ship, and prepare fast food. And people are buying it.

I end up eating at home a lot more, and bringing food to work. I just started a new job, and before I even had a stapler at my desk, I had a desk draw of snacks - almonds, protein bars, etc.
  • himilayaneyes
    himilayaneyes Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Panera is not much better than any other fast food places. They have a Italian sandwich with over 1100 Cals. The salads and brothy soups aren't bad but the sandwiches are incredibly high calorie.

Yes, they definitely have high calorie items. However, it's still up to us as consumers to make healthy choices. If you get half a sandwich and sald or 1/2 sandwich and soup...the cals aren't too bad. They are a little pricey though.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    why are there some many fast food places? [/qoute]

Same reason there are so many get rich quick scams or lose weight fast diets - people don't have any patiences anymore and want everything RIGHT NOW!
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Oh, and you can eat at places like Chipotle as long as you realize that the dinner portion is about 1/2 of what they are serving you.
  • rockangel8907
    rockangel8907 Posts: 429 Member
    Options

Yes, they definitely have high calorie items. However, it's still up to us as consumers to make healthy choices. If you get half a sandwich and sald or 1/2 sandwich and soup...the cals aren't too bad. They are a little pricey though.

I know this, but so many people do not choose to educate themselves and think fresh= healthy and low cal. Which Panera food is not all fresh, the soups are bagged and the panninis are premade.
    To someone who has educated themselves they will know that Panera foods are high cal, but to the general public Panera = healthier thancdonalds when really they would get less Cals from McDonald's