My 6 week challenge

Options

Replies

• NewImprovedCnbethea1
    Options
    I finished my first 5K today and I was so excited that I didn't stop next time I want to have a faster pace I did it!!!
  • Iffer75
    Iffer75 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Bellydandy-Please give me a couple of days to set something up for you. I am kinda crunched for time this weekend. If I can find the time I will do something, if not it will be Monday.

Cnbethea-Great job on your first 5k. How did you feel when you were done? Just continue practicing and you will get faster.

I will post day 12 & 13 as soon as I can. Have a great weekend. :bigsmile:
  • belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I finished my first 5K today and I was so excited that I didn't stop next time I want to have a faster pace I did it!!!

That is great! I knew you could do it! This post makes me so excited to do my first 5K.
  • NewImprovedCnbethea1
    Options
    My challenge for the next week will also be no cheating. I have pretty good diet wise, but I would like to go a whole week only eating good clean food. My other challenge will be to add in some strength training two maybe three days a week. I also think I am going to start swimming with my husband. My husband's doctor just told him today that he should start swimming because it will help with his joint pain. Sounds like something fun that we can do together.

Swimming is a great work out and I know you will enjoy it sounds like a busy week ahead but you can do it and I will be right here cheering you on!!!
  • NewImprovedCnbethea1
    Options
    Bellydandy-Please give me a couple of days to set something up for you. I am kinda crunched for time this weekend. If I can find the time I will do something, if not it will be Monday.

Cnbethea-Great job on your first 5k. How did you feel when you were done? Just continue practicing and you will get faster.

I will post day 12 & 13 as soon as I can. Have a great weekend. :bigsmile:

Jenn I was so excited that I didn't stop I felt like I could have moved mountains coming around the final stretch was the hardest but my hubby just kept saying you have come to far to stop now and I pushed it on through one of the greatest feelings in my life!!
  • belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Jennifer, No rush at all, I am just so glad that I found someone with so much fitness knowledge that is glad to share it with me. Thank you so much for that!

Day 12 - I went for a three mile run/walk. I am amazed at how fast running is becoming easier. This is the first time that I have tried running at my own pace, but still pushing myself. I usually either push my self to hard and end up feeling so bad that I don't want to do it again, or I don't push myself enough and don't see any significant gains. I really seem to have struck the perfect balance this time and I feel great.

I also stuck to my diet for the most part. Yesterday, was my birthday, and someone at my work brought cupcakes for me. It was a very sweet gesture. I only had one cupcake, and I ate really well for the rest of the day. With my exercise included I still stayed within my calories.
  • Iffer75
    Options
    Okay, I apologize for not getting on today. I got my new phone in and you know how that goes. Been playing with it ever since. I even have the internet on it. It is not an Iphone or anything that fancy, so I can't get the app for MFP, but I will try to check in on it and get use to it.

I will definitely be on tomorrow to check in with everyone. I did not forget you. I hope you all had a fabulous weekend and I will talk to you tomorrow. :bigsmile:
  • NewImprovedCnbethea1
    Options
    Glad to hear your doing good just having fun with your new phone!!!:laugh:

I had a great weekend and still hitting Insanity today week 2 day 8 Cardio power and resistance done plus my biggest loser challenge stuff I am starting to add some weights in also MWF just to add that little extra something!!!

Hope everyone had a great Monday!!
  • Iffer75
    Options
    Jennifer,

Thanks for the advice! I would love for you to suggest some core and upper body strength moves. Just to clarify, you do think it is okay to lay off the lower body strength training all together for right now, right?

One thing I would like to know is it bad for me to run on consecutive days? I feel fine for the most part running every day. I would like to do some form of cardio every day, except for maybe one rest day a week. If not running, what lower impact workout would you suggest? Thanks so much for your patience with me oh fitness guru!

I do agree that you should not do too much more than running for your lower body if that is what you are doing. You don't want to over do it and injure yourself. Overtraining is a bad thing. Usually when working a large muscle group you should at least have a day of rest before doing it again, to give those muscles a rest. They deserve it after working so hard, but if you look at all the runners out there, they run every day. I think if you are to run every day, change your intensity level each day. Do a shorter and slower day then a longer more intense run the next day and just switch it up. You may even do some HIIT training with it. Meaning, change your intensity level while running. For example, do a slow and steady pace for 5 mins then hit it as hard as you can for 60 secs, then slowly decrease your speed again for a couple of mins and then do it again. That is only one example, but that would up your heart rate and increase your endurance to running.

Now, upper body training. This is just what I have been doing for the last 6 weeks and I have had great results. It goes something like this. Monday and Friday strength training days. Now do these in 3 set of 10 reps. Make sure the last rep is off the chart and you know you could not do one more.

Monday:
    Tricep Extension
    Bicep Curl
    Shoulder Press
    Tricep Pull Downs (5 thumb in & 5 thumb out)
    Hammer Curl
    Front Delt Raises
    Side Delt Raises

Friday:
    Bench Press
    Wide Pull Downs
    Incline Press
    Individual Rows
    Upright Rows

Let me know what you think and if you have any more questions. :bigsmile:
  • Iffer75
    Options
    My challenge for the next week will also be no cheating. I have pretty good diet wise, but I would like to go a whole week only eating good clean food. My other challenge will be to add in some strength training two maybe three days a week. I also think I am going to start swimming with my husband. My husband's doctor just told him today that he should start swimming because it will help with his joint pain. Sounds like something fun that we can do together.

Swimming is definitely a great and fun exercise. Enjoy!!! :bigsmile:
  • Iffer75
    Options
    Jennifer I was so excited that I didn't stop I felt like I could have moved mountains coming around the final stretch was the hardest but my hubby just kept saying you have come to far to stop now and I pushed it on through one of the greatest feelings in my life!!

Believe me I completely understand that feeling. Keep up the awesome work. :bigsmile:
  • Iffer75
    Options
    Day 12 - I went for a three mile run/walk. I am amazed at how fast running is becoming easier. This is the first time that I have tried running at my own pace, but still pushing myself. I usually either push my self to hard and end up feeling so bad that I don't want to do it again, or I don't push myself enough and don't see any significant gains. I really seem to have struck the perfect balance this time and I feel great.

I also stuck to my diet for the most part. Yesterday, was my birthday, and someone at my work brought cupcakes for me. It was a very sweet gesture. I only had one cupcake, and I ate really well for the rest of the day. With my exercise included I still stayed within my calories.

That is great that you are doing so well with your running. Keep it up and you will start seeing and feeling awesome changes.

That is AWESOME that you only ate one cupcake, me, I would have eaten at least 3. LOL Kudos to you. Also, happy belated birthday. :bigsmile:
  • Iffer75
    Options
    Glad to hear your doing good just having fun with your new phone!!!:laugh:

I had a great weekend and still hitting Insanity today week 2 day 8 Cardio power and resistance done plus my biggest loser challenge stuff I am starting to add some weights in also MWF just to add that little extra something!!!

Hope everyone had a great Monday!!

You are doing awesome, keep it up!!! :bigsmile:
  • NewImprovedCnbethea1
    Options
    Jennifer, No rush at all, I am just so glad that I found someone with so much fitness knowledge that is glad to share it with me. Thank you so much for that!

Sorry I thought I said Happy Birthday one of those moments when you think you did something but didn't!!
  • Iffer75
    Options
    Day 12-Friday, 3 mile run and strength training. Went for my run right when I got home because I asked Jon to run with me and he had to be at work at 9pm. It started to rain when we were walking to warm-up. I said, let’s just keep on going I know it won’t continue for long and I was right. Well, then it got really warm and humid out and that did not help the run at all. We may have run maybe 1.5 miles all together. I was pretty hard on myself and Jon just told me that we all have bad days and that today was one of them. I just don’t like bad days, but I guess he is right. Strength training went well. I really pushed hard to get more weight in and I did on a couple moves.

Day 13-Saturday, 30 minute cross training. I was going to do the TurboFire workout and Insanity Cardio Abs, but I changed my mind. Women can do that. LOL I decided to go On Demand and find some Yoga. I did Jillian Michael’s Yoga Meltdown and I really liked it. I also decided to get in some abs, so I did another On Demand workout that worked on the Abs. I am not sure who the instructor was, but it was a kewl workout. It was just nice to do a couple different workouts. My body definitely enjoyed them.

Day 14-Sunday, 4 mile run. I did not run today. My lower back was really sore and had a major headache and was just overall not feeling good. So I used a rest day. I also ate horribly today. Not even going to get into how bad it really was, but trust me it was bad. I have made a pact with myself. Any time I feel like cheating on food during the week, I have to eat an entire tomato before I go and purchase any type of cheat food. I HATE TOMATOES. YUK!!! I think that is the only way I can get myself from cheating during the week, especially since my boss is on vacation this week. It would just make it easier to go to Walgreen’s and get a bunch of candy. NOT DOING IT!!!

Day 15-Monday, 4 mile run. Okay, my back and head were stilling keeping me down, but I decided that I would at least walk the entire 4 miles. I got Jon to go with me. After about 2.5 miles I noticed that I was starting to feel better. My headache was gone and it felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. So, I decided to run the last mile and I did really well. I did my best not to stress over the breathing so much and I think it worked. No cheating either. It was a fairly good day, all-in-all. :bigsmile:
  • NewImprovedCnbethea1
    Options
    Jen glad to see you are all caught up and I like the tomato idea about having it before your cheat day that keep your eyes on the prize especially since you don't like them.

Your body probably totally appreciate the yoga you should try to keep that regularly in your routine!!! Keep working hard!!
  • Iffer75
    Options
    Jen glad to see you are all caught up and I like the tomato idea about having it before your cheat day that keep your eyes on the prize especially since you don't like them.

Your body probably totally appreciate the yoga you should try to keep that regularly in your routine!!! Keep working hard!!

I know I should definitely be putting in more yoga with all this running that I am doing. I have had success this week with cravings. Since I have the tomato in my head, there have not been any crazy cravings. LOL:bigsmile:
  • Iffer75
    Options
    Day 16-Tuesday, Strength training. I did really good and pushed myself. What I do is 3 sets of 10 reps. I always go to failure and I love it. I am feeling toned and ready to take on Jon. LOL I took a picture of my back last nite, I will post it tomorrow. I really like what I am seeing. I am feeling stronger and more confident everyday. Oh yeah, I got to play some softball last nite. I was even in the game and I hit the ball and made it to first base without being tagged out. It was so fun. I hope they will let me play again. :bigsmile:
  • Iffer75
    Options
    Day 17-30 mins cross training. I actually did a little over an hour. I first started off with Insanity Cardio Abs, I had not done that one in a while and really liked it. I love feeling my abs working. Then I did the TurboFire Sneak Peak, approximately 17mins. I burned 252 calories in only 17 mins, if that tells you how tough the workout is. I was sweating like crazy in the first 2 mins of the workout. Loved it. My ankle/calf was hurting during this one though, so I did have to be a little careful. I then decided that after dinner I would do some yoga to maybe stretch out my ankle/calf. Downward dog felt really good. This yoga I found was On Demand and it was really nice and relaxing. I am really glad that I did it. I slept really good last nite. No cramps in my leg. :bigsmile:

I did actually go to the doctor this morning. He just stated that since I have started my HM training I have upped my mileage significantly and I need to back off a little. He has practiced in Sports Medicine so he had seen this before. I asked him about my run tonite and Saturday. He said you can do it, but take Ibuprofen afterward and ice it. So, I am glad he did not tell me not to run, just to back off on how many miles a week. Whew, nothing serious. :drinker:
  • NewImprovedCnbethea1
    Options
    Day 16-Tuesday, Strength training. I did really good and pushed myself. What I do is 3 sets of 10 reps. I always go to failure and I love it. I am feeling toned and ready to take on Jon. LOL I took a picture of my back last nite, I will post it tomorrow. I really like what I am seeing. I am feeling stronger and more confident everyday. Oh yeah, I got to play some softball last nite. I was even in the game and I hit the ball and made it to first base without being tagged out. It was so fun. I hope they will let me play again. :bigsmile:

Jennifer that is awesome can't wait to see the new pic!!! I use to love softball it is really fun glad you made it on base that means you had a really good hit!!:happy: