What kind of supplements r u taking & why?

Options
I'm curious to see what kind of supplements people on MFP are taking and why? I've recently been looking into supplements and found that each one is good for a certain thing such as joints, muscle, bones, organs, skin tissue etc.....

I'd just like to see what people are taking and for what reason. Maybe I can learn something from all of you! Thanks!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    A multi for women and vitamin D because I live in New York and most Northerners are D deficient
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    I just take a general woman's multivitamin. I don't feel the need for specific body-part supplements.
    I just like knowing that I have a jump-start on my total vitamins for the day. I also find that it helps with food cravings. I assume that by ensuring my body is getting a good portion of what it needs, I don't have insane cravings for the foods that supply it.

I'm by no means advocating replacing foods with a multivitamin. I'm just saying what works for me.
  • KiriKiriKiri
    KiriKiriKiri Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Ok, where to begin?! Hehehehe...

I take a multivitamin (as I believe everyone should).
    Vitamin D (most people are deficient and my levels were within normals limits, but on the lower side).
    Calcium (again within lower limits but still on the lower side. I also take this WITH the D but not at the same time as my multivit).
    B Complex (weight loss, migraine prevention, overall health).
    Niacin (there is mixed studies on this...the flush associated with niacin is great for detoxifying the body which is why I take it).
    Folic Acid (preventative health)
    Acidophilus (probiotic)
    Vitamin C (preventative health)
    Omega-3 (preventative health)
    Bee Pollen (weight loss)
    Aloe (weight loss, detoxification purposes, immune booster, multitude of reasons)
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Calcium/magnesium and vitamin D - bone health and I am Canadian, so ditto *iamladybird*'s comment
    Chromium 500 mcg - to assist in metabolizing glucose
    Vitamin C 1000 mg - cell repair
    StressPlex - 2 kids, 19 months apart... okay, so it's not 5 kids, but you get it, right?

*when I remember - I take Omega 3's, but I tend to forget those often since they are kept in the fridge.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Get ready for this list!

Multivitamin - Centrum A-Z
    Green tea capsules (2 per day - can't remember the dosage) with Hoodia
    Glucosamine and Chondroitin (Osteo-Bioflex - best I've had so far and YES, I DO feel a difference when I'm not on it!)
    Calcium and Vitamin D - have to get calcium extra because I can't have dairy products
    B-complex (due to blood disorder - this is supposedly the treatment)
    Fish Oil Capsules (Omega 3s only)
    L-Carnitine (fat burning supplement)

All of the above is essentially what I'd read about as beneficial to losing weight, maintaining reasonable blood sugar and building muscle tissue.

At the gym, before my workout, I drink an Energize Fat Burner smoothie (has some of the above, plus gingko and a few other things I can't remember, along with real banana and strawberry).

I get blood work done every year, and every year pass with a clean bill of health apart from the one year when the blood disorder issue was found. Doctor wasn't concerned - just said take B12. But I figured I may as well take the whole B complex to be safe.

I FEEL a big difference in my joints if I don't use the joint stuff. Have tried Move Free, Elations (yuck) and just am on OsteoBioflex and found of those three I like the Osteo best.

That's my story! :-)
  • peart47
    peart47 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I take the Vitalizer with Iron from Shaklee. All six pills come in a little pack that you grab each day. They have vitamins, minerals, omega's, and probiotics in them. I also take their mood lift supplement which I can say really works for me. I like their products alot.
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    Options
    One A Day Women’s (multi)—chose this over Centrum this time for the higher iron as I was borderline the last time I donated blood.
    Triple Flex (glucosamine, chondroitin, hyaluronic acid)—joint pain (Lupus)
    Hydraplenish (more hyaluronic acid)—noticed my skin was looking better from Triple Flex, doc told me it was the HA, so I added this
    Flax, Fish & Borage oil (omega 3, 6 and 9s)—for the anti-inflammatory properties (Lupus) and general heart and skin health.
    Vitamin D-3—because I am deficient
    Arnica—because I had a run-in with a deer on my bike and it makes the bruises go away faster!
    Psyllium Husk—fiber. Not only for digestive health, but it makes me feel fuller.
    Various sleeping herbs (chamomile, valerian, etc.) as I have chronic insomnia, but they don't seem to help really.
    Calcarea fluorica--a mineral to help increase tissue flexibility in my feet and ankles after many surgeries, stress fractures, ankle sprains, etc.
  • Sarandipity
    Sarandipity Posts: 1,560
    Options
    I take:
    - 1 a day women's multivitamin
    - Calcia (500calcium, 400 Vit D in one pill) - Dr required due to a medication I am on, but was told it was a good idea for women to take a calcuim suppliment.
    - Biotin - I had been loosing hair, this suppliment has helped it start to grow again
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I'm taking a prenatal vitamin (I'm not pregnant... just wanting to be!) . That's it for now. (Also not to make up for a bad diet... just because it seems a good idea for now!)

I'm thinking about taking some Omega-3 or fish oil supplements as well..
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Just omega 3 fish oil capsules when I remember (although I do try to eat LSA and salmon often)
    and a prescribed iron supplement because my blood tests show I have very low ferritin (leading to iron deficiency anemia).
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Mutlivitamin
    Potassium - I'm prone to low potassium
    Cranberry - preventative UTI/kidney stones
    B-12 - fatigue

Thinking about taking fish oil & dropping B-12... B-12 is a recent addition & I haven't noticed a difference.
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I HATE taking pills. When I read the posts above, I gag just thinking about all the pills you guys have to swallow each day LOL. I use Shakeology. It is a nutrition shake that has all the vitamins and minerals plus probiotics, a superfruit blend and all of the items mentioned above by others and then some. They say it is like making 5 trips to the salad bar. I get to drink a chocolate shake instead of taking all of those pills:drinker: Usually, I make mine into a Raspbery mocha shake:smile:
    I can send you the list of ingredients if interested.
  • tattereds
    tattereds Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Usually just Mega B, which is a vit B all rounder, for energy & metabolism boost.

Have recently added Vit D also. My BF has chrohn's and I've been having some tummy troubles for a few months too (ongoing tests :frown: ) so we have been keeping on top of all the research... New studies are popping up everywhere atm to suggest a correlation between vit D deficiency and chrohn's disease as well as other digestive disorders. It's only been a week or so and we havn't seen much change except a slight increase in David's appetite, but time will tell I guess! It's definitely worth a shot.
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I don't take any. I just try to eat a healthy, well-balanced diet. In particular I make sure I get the correct amount of dairy and vegetables and eat plenty of wholegrains.

I would take folate if I were pregnant (to prevent neural tube defects) and anything else only if I was diagnosed with a deficiency or had a severe health problem.
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I take a generic Centrum Silver because I am 57:noway: and it has vitamins that support heart health. It is a pretty good multi vitamin. I take a calcium with D supplement (1500 mg. a day) because again, I am 57.:sad:
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Another bit of info: I was out of vitamins for three weeks and didn't take any. I noticed a big difference in my energy and fatigue level. So even though I eat very healthy my body apparently needs the extra boost.
  • angela75022
    angela75022 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I take a multi and Vit D... I notice the difference when I don't take them
  • 365healthchallenge
    Options
    I take a multivitamin
    Calcium
    Potassium

Those three were all recommended by my Endocrinologist

These next ones I'm taking based off my own research

Chia seeds (great source of Omega-3s) for more info check out http://chiaforhealth.com/

Marine Phytoplankton (supports cellular health, promotes energy and vitality, contains micro nutrients) for more info go here http://www.whyplankton.com/healthbenefits.html I take this one in the form of drops, I can either take it straight or add it to my smoothies :)

I also occasionally will use whey protein in my post workout smoothies, or if I'm low on my protein for the day.
  • Mirlyn
    Mirlyn Posts: 256
    Options
    I take B12 and a women's multi-vitamin every day for energy and a boost in metabolism.
  • Michellerw1
    Michellerw1 Posts: 367
    Options
    I take a multivitamin with folic acid (for hair and nails :), b-12, and zyrtec (lol stupid allergies).