How to Resist Foods in the Office

Options
2»

Replies

• Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Before you grab one, drink a full glass of water and then decide if you really want one... you could also think how much longer you'll have to exercise that night to make up for it, or only eat half. Now that I bring in healthy snacks to munch on during the work day, I'm able to walk away from the donuts, muffins and bagels. I looked at the calories for muffins somebody brought in last week- 640!!!! That was not going to be worth more than an hour on the elliptical for me.
  • Helenelle
    Helenelle Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    i drink a lot of fresh lemon and hot water instead of tea of coffe and over the weeks your craving for sweet things does go away. I was addicted to coke - the fizzy stuff not the snorting stuff!! - drank too many every day. Went cold turkey and stayed off it for 6 months, had a sip and it was gross soooo sweet -0 how could I have had that in my mouth. the cravings will go. Cleaning your teeth also helps. If you know when the sweet stuff is going to be around, pop of to the ladies room and clean your teeth. works for me :) good luck
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options

My office also does a once a month birthday celebration for all birthdays which usually involves delicious homemade cake. SUPER hard to resist that one! Or maybe I could make that the one day that I do eat food in the office?

Yes, I would save up for cake day and work on skipping the other everyday treats. I often look up the calories before I eat it to see how bad of a dent it would make in my daily calories.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Ditto the other poster who said to log it. In fact, I looked at your diary and noticed that you don't log regularly. I would start logging every. single. bite. It gives you accountability and you also know exactly how much each indulgence impacts your caloric allowance.

Also, store healthy snacks in your desk or purse. If you have good alternatives to reach for, it's easier to avoid the temptations.
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I know all too well how hard it is to resist those temptations. I set out to rid my diet of "anything and everything" that did not have nutiritional value to me....the first thing to go was all the unnecessary sugars---it's hidden in alot of processed foods. Make a pact with yourself to do two weeks of limited sugars and you will be free of the cravings. I do not consume artificial sugars either so it was an easier transition for me than for some...My mom has had a horrible time getting off the sugar. I have tried to convince her to even just get rid of all the junk food sugar to help. I worry about her as she ages and the impact of the excessive sugars she consumes. Good luck.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I am all for the occasional (or not so occasional) indulgence that fits within my food budget. However, I have put all office food off limits. If I grab one cookie, or bagel or donut, I will grab every one that is available every time. However, I made a rule that I am not allowed to eat any office food, so I am less tempted. Yes, this is difficult and it takes time but I think you'll see that if everything in the office is off limits you are less tempted. Mind you, I normally pack a serving of chocolate or allow myself and indulgence, but that is chosen by me ahead of time and is within my control.
  • hanababe
    hanababe Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Our office has a "treats day" where we all bring in something to eat. So bring in something healthy to share, and if no other foods are healthy that others brought, then you can eat your own treat. You'll know the calories ahead of time and still take part in "fun office treat day". If you cant do this, I give myself a plan before I go in to select my snack (ex. "If there are donut holes I will only take one and fill up on fresh fruit", etc.). I have the same problem so I hope this helps.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I resist all those treats (usually) by simply having ridiculously high standards. I am just not going to eat supermarket muffins. They don't taste good. I only like donuts from a handful of shops, not the ones from Dunkin' Gonuts. I can't bring myself to waste calories on regular potato chips when Cape Cod ones exist. Basically, the key to weight loss is snobbery coupled with being too lazy to walk six blocks to the French bakery.
  • hanababe
    hanababe Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    P.S. Keep healthy snacks in your desk drawer so you can resort to those if you are feeling tempted. I keep 100 calorie packs (if I want something sweet or salty), granola bars, oatmeal packets, tea and honey, etc.
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I've managed to break that habit. There are often goodies in my office and I just remind myself that it doesn't really taste that good. Take a bite and chew it slowly and really taste it. And then ask yourself if you are willing to spend 400+ calories of your limited budget on that? Works for me, anyways.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I would suggest making sure you have a substantial breakfast with some additional protein. The breakfast I see most of in your diary would leave me entirely starved. If you are not hungry it is easier to ignore extra food. Look at 'treats' as just another food. It's not "yummy" it's just fuel. When you disassociate food from emotions/feelings it gets easier.

That being said, I have no problem having birthday cake but I eat it because its a special occasion - not something for every day.
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I was sitting in my office a few months ago and saw someone walk in with a box of donuts. I got up and followed him like he was the pied piper. I got to the kitchen where he set them down and kinda snapped out of it...it's like following the donuts was out of my control.
  • usflygirl55
    usflygirl55 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I try to make myself think that everybody in the office has touched the food and wonder if someone sneezed around that food. :sick: That helps to keep me away. After I have put my lunch in the fridge I steer clear until it is time to eat my lunch. That way I think the food has been out in the open too long for my peace of mind. :bigsmile:
  • dcglobalgirl
    dcglobalgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My technique:

This might not help everyone but it really works for me. I take one (or in this case, because they are so huge, I would take half of one) and put it on my desk. But the trick is, I can't eat it until all the others are gone, or after lunch. Just knowing it is there and I get to have it later makes it easier for me to wait. I don't have to be afraid that they will be all gone. And because I've waited, I can enjoy it guilt-free and know that i won't be able to go back for more.

Good luck!
  • sohutto
    sohutto Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think this whole 'eating correctly' is a journey for me. I'm still at the beginning of the journey and I can't wait to continue with all your support. I am also excited to order "It Starts with Food" because that sounds like a great, informative read.

So I think what's going to work for me: logging before I eat, drinking a glass of water, having pre-set "cheat" foods that I eat. If it doesn't fit in with those things then I'm just going to say no!
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Great topic and suggestions, I struggle with this too.

One of my attempts to stop myself is asking whether it was homemade - if it's store bought, it's usually easier to either resist or only take a tiny bit.

If it is homemade, it's probably better in which case, I'll take a small piece but I know others will ALSO like it better and thus I shouldn't take too much so they can enjoy too.

Also like the suggestion of getting it, then leaving it for lunch - treat as part of your meal, not as a "quick thing that doesn't really count" and make sure to log it first, don't log after!

Another thought is to only let yourself have the treats one day of the week, the rest of the time, it's a no go for you.
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Have a mint or some chewing gum or brush your teeth if you can. That puts me off eating something i shouldn't.
  • Jillyfish99
    Jillyfish99 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    my office is crazy with this.... Almost daily there are catered meetings and there is always food left over. It's like a cattle call. Whenever we hear the food cart moving down to the breakroom everyone gets up and goes to get food even if theyve already eat lunch. It's taken time but I no longer get food.
    I will go in there with everyone and watch them grab the food and talk to them but I no longer partake.

There are also times when people walk around handing out cookies or donuts. I now take one to be nice, cause people are weird when you say no, and then i will usually toss it in the trash. :( I know it's wasting but I don't want it to go to my waist. :)
  • Jillyfish99
    Jillyfish99 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I go see what it is, go back to my desk and pre-log it (using my best guess if I don't have stats from that particular store and NOT just taking the lowest calorie one). So for example:

Nutrition Facts
    Edit Harris Teeter - Jumbo Blueberry Muffin
    Servings: 1 jumbo muffin 1 container (4 jumbo muffins ea.)
    Calories 390 Sodium 340 mg
    Total Fat 19 g Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 4 g Total Carbs 51 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 1 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 28 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 5 g
    Cholesterol 65 mg
    Vitamin A 2% Calcium 2%
    Vitamin C 2% Iron 15%

I put it right into the diary so I can see it there, and decide if I can live with it there, or what I might rather do or have. It helps me pause a minute and not eat automatically. If I change my mind, I can always delete it, but seeing it there is a huge help. Logging more regularly may help with this too.
    ^^I do this as well. 99% of the time, I will put something back or not grab it at all after I see how it affects my day.