Replies

• Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I knew that.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Buy me things, compliment me and never ever ever finish before me.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    10 Quality Time
    7 Words of Affirmation
    7 Acts of Service
    4 Physical Touch
    2 Receiving Gifts

Very accurate. I really like connecting to people through talking about what we like, think, feel about certain things, common interests & entertaining each other with stories. I feel loved when someone takes the time to have a real or deep conversation with me, when they let me in to a place they may not let others or show enthusiasm in our conversation. I love when we can make each other laugh or open up our minds in different ways!

The questions were sort of repetitive but reading about other types of love was fascinating. I was never one to desire gifts, in fact I find them awkward because (a) I feel like I now need to return the favour (b) I may not like gift & feel guilty (c) I may question the motive and (d) I feel like gifts are sort of an empty "performance" or "show." Unless it's something very thoughtful that I like or need (Which pertains more to them showing me they pay attention to our conversations/quality time I spoke about above!)

As for physical touch, I don't come from a family that is very physically affectionate so to me it feels more normal to NOT be touched than to be touched. When people touch me I usually jump or feel startled because it surprises me or feels foreign. Even hugs, I only like it from very familiar male friends or guys I like. Otherwise, it's usually an awkward half-hug or back-pat hug.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Physical Touch.

I don't need to take the quiz.

Boo yeah!
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Funnily enough, I heard about these love languages last summer from my boyfriend talking about things he'd learned in rehab... anyway, here are my results.

10 Physical Touch
    8 Quality Time
    6 Words of Affirmation
    4 Acts of Service
    2 Receiving Gifts
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    Physical Touch.

I don't need to take the quiz.

Boo yeah!

lol
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Mine are quality time and physical touch.

My husband is words of affirmation.

I love this series and would suggest any couple to read it together.
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Quality time and words of affirmation
  • caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    9 Physical Touch
    7 Words of Affirmation
    6 Receiving Gifts
    5 Quality Time
    3 Acts of Service

Not surprising but I think really intersesting! I was just talking about this last week with someone - I need to read the book!
  • anneerick
    anneerick Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Oh, the "love languages". I struggle with enjoying this concept, though I think it can help make people more aware of what others are actually doing, and not just what they see them NOT doing. I notice a lot of couples tend to focus on what they feel like their partner isn't doing, instead of what they are, and being aware of different modes of communication can help a ton, so I like the concept for that.

But what I've noticed is that some people can develop a sense of entitlement around whatever their "language" is, and from then on say things like "Well, my language is this. If you want me to be happy, it needs to be in this language". Meh. Happy is what you take out of something, not what someone else puts into it. The idea is that ultimately, YOU are your own source of happiness, and things that people do for you are nice, and you should be aware of your own needs so you can find someone that can suit them more easily, but it's still not their job to speak your "language" just because you like it.

And this is a proverbial you, not "you" the OP, haha. I just have some issues with the idea of "love languages", because I've seen it be useful, and I've also seen it be used really inefficiently.

I couldn't agree with you more. Entitlement in a relationship is a recipe for disaster, imho. I find it works best when I take responsibility for my own happiness and not expect my partner to make me happy, and out of love to do what I can to treat him well and in a way that registers for him the best (love language). I can let him know what I prefer, but then be grateful for the ways in which he shows me, in whatever way that is. I may not get all my preferences met all the time, but I get enough of what matters to stay in the relationship. I'm definitely not a nagger, whiner or complainer... hate that way of being. Sucks to be disgruntled in life.

I agree with you that certain people may interpret the simple short quiz that way. The book is very clear throughout that the goal is to focus on how to love your spouse in the way which they recognize best. I loved the book and would suggest it for any couple, struggling or not. The concept of the book is very positive, I guess the people who read it can use the tools provided within it, in a negative way if they chose to.
  • mattagascar
    mattagascar Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Beer
    Pizza
    Acts of service
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Just did this quiz with the hubs a few weeks back...mine is Acts of service...his is physical touch and quality time..

It's amusing really...cuz I'm working two jobs right now so I legit get excited to come home and see the dishes done...when I find a mess, I get sad and just go to bed. Now if I wasn't sad and heading to bed all grumpy, I'd probably be more in the mood for some quality time..

It's a good read for any couple, IMO.
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    Quality Time.

This is a great book unless your SO says its BS and goes back to gaming. :grumble:
  • rushikareddy
    rushikareddy Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Mine says its Quality Time!
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Quality Time.

This is a great book unless your SO says its BS and goes back to gaming. :grumble:

Throw the book at his head?

Just kidding.....kind of...
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Physical
    Acts of Service
    Physical
  • mattagascar
    mattagascar Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Physical
    Acts of Service
    Physical

*raises hand* pick me pick me
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    The Magic Mike thread says Body Language works for most women too.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Quality Time.

LOL - I can relate to that!
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    10 - 15 minutes? Ain't nobody got time for that.