Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Is it possible to lose 40 pounds in a 3 month period?

13»

Replies

• exostan
    exostan Posts: 38
    I've never done it myself. But it seems like a hard thing to do, you'd have to exercise alot and eat very little every single day for a few months. o0' It certainly cannot be achieved simply by cutting out "junk food" and walking for an hour everyday.
  • minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    yes
  • titi4j
    titi4j Posts: 97 Member
    I lost 47 pounds in about 2 and a half months about a year ago. The way I did it was not planned. I was very sick and could only eat boiled, skinless chicken breast and steamed vegetables that had to be ones that were easily digested. It was awful. Even though I was very sick a part of my mind was happy about the loss. However, after surgery, I gained it all back plus 22 and then felt worse than I did to begin with. Take care of yourself. Just eat healthy, drink water and exercise. Don't risk your health by worrying about what people "might" say about you.
  • heltonkm
    heltonkm Posts: 1 Member
    It is possible but not healthy. When someone is very over weight, which you are not, the first pounds fall away rapidly. This can be problematic however, and create problems similar to those caused by anorexia. People don't think about that when someone is obese (again you are not) because the individual needed to loose a lot of weight to be healthy so no one questions rapid weight loss in these people. But, even when your body has an abundance of fat stores the body isn't getting the vitamins and nutrients it needs and you will gain it and more back. No diet or exercise program I have ever tried has encouraged such rapid weight loss. 2 pounds a week is all that is recommended if you want to be healthy and keep it off. Have fun at the wedding!
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Is it possible? Yes. Is it necessarily healthy or lasting? No.

I'm not saying you can't healthly lose that much wieght and keep it off, but normally when you're starting so close to your goal, it takes longer to work it off. But if you really put your mind to it and follow your plan to a T, it may be possible. Good luck!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    I made the biggest mistake of going through a yo-yo diet so now I don't look as skinny as before.

Anything that could drop 40 pounds in three months is also going to be a yo-yo diet. You know that doesn't work. Move onto the next reasonable approach - change eating habits, exercise more, be patient.
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    It is possible I did it, but you are not likely going to get down to 104 unless you are 4 ft 5. In the process of exercising to get there you are going to build lean muscle mass, which tends to weigh more than fat. With that said, P90X, I lost 50 in 3 months doing that. But I had 50 to loss not sure you do.
  • delekium
    delekium Posts: 40 Member
    Yes.

I lost about 60 pounds in 3 months once.

Gained back all of it, and here I am. :) Wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
    What diet did you go through? I'm sorry about that. :(

I just ate 1200-1500 calories a day and exercised an hour a day.

The problem with quick loss is that your head doesn't have time to get in the right place. Up until the last pound, I was just focusing on the fact that I could go back to eating whatever I wanted when I reached my goal weight.

Depriving yourself is not a good idea - very dangerous for your body and mind.

agree same thing happened to me. i was on 1200 and went from 143 to 121 lbs. then holidays came and i ate normal...and everything came back within weeks :brokenheart: . so now i eat 1400 and eat back my exercise calories and intend to loose slow but permanently. I'm 5'2 btw.
    My advice is don't fixate on the idea of having the 'perfect weight' only, because the obsession is gonna take your focus away from other things you should enjoy while looking forward to this wedding. Try and replace the idea of 'need to loose weight or else (fear fear fear)' and focus on more positive goals (a dress that suits YOU perfectly no matter you size or other more important and positive thoughts):flowerforyou:
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Maybe....if you had at least another 100 pounds to lose. Also if you know yo-yoing didn't work for you in the past, why would you be trying to do it now?

Eat at a small deficit, and lift heavy weights. That will do more for you in a couple of months than trying to kill yourself losing 40 pounds.
  • kakes80
    kakes80 Posts: 251 Member
    I have a lot to lose... With that being said I lost about 50 lbs. in just over 3 months. That is with a healthy diet and exercise 6 days a week. Someone smaller, it wouldn't be healthy. But because I wasn't healthy for so long, when I started healthy habits the weight just came off... I am sure in the future I will hit a brick wall but. I wouldn't suggest losing that kind of weight quickly for an average sized person.
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    For you, you'd probably have to lose a limb. I've lost about 30 pounds in a little over 2 months, but I started out in the obese range. And the weight loss has slowed as I've lost more, so there's really very little chance that I can get to 40 lbs before the month is up.
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    i lost 38 in 4 month but i was very heavy. your weight u wont lose that much that fast.