WEIGHT GAIN -- HELP!?!?!

Options
I love MFP!! I've been here for six months and lost 17 lbs so far!

Last Friday I weighed in and hit a new low, hurray me! The problem is that today I stepped on the scale and was 14 (FOURTEEN!) lbs heavier than I was last week. I couldn't believe it. I stepped on the scale again to double check the number and in that five minutes, I gained 2 (TWO!) more pounds! I didn't even eat anything!!

Needless to say, this is gross and disheartening. Of my 17 lbs loss that took me 6 months to achieve, I gained 16 lbs back in less than a week. Should I reset my ticker to reflect my gain? Could this be muscle? Water weight? TOM? Please help!!

Replies

• Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options

Last Friday I weighed in and hit a new low, hurray me! The problem is that today I stepped on the scale and was 14 (FOURTEEN!) lbs heavier than I was last week. I couldn't believe it. I stepped on the scale again to double check the number and in that five minutes, I gained 2 (TWO!) more pounds! I didn't even eat anything!!

Needless to say, this is gross and disheartening. Of my 17 lbs loss that took me 6 months to achieve, I gained 16 lbs back in less than a week. Should I reset my ticker to reflect my gain? Could this be muscle? Water weight? TOM? Please help!!

I don't have a scale or weight myself but I saw a thread one time where people were saying change the batteries if scales seem to be acting strange.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Your boyfriend is probably cheating on you and the woman he's cheating with weighs 16 lbs more than you and it saved on your scale when she used it. I would check his text messages.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

I don't have a scale or weight myself but I saw a thread one time where people were saying change the batteries if scales seem to be acting strange.

The batteries were literally days old.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Your boyfriend is probably cheating on you and the woman he's cheating with weighs 16 lbs more than you and it saved on your scale when she used it. I would check his text messages.
    IT'S SABOTAGE!

Also, carbs make you fat. Insulin spikes and what not.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options

Thank you for your input, but I don't have a boyfriend.

Forever alone.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Were you wearing clothes or anything different when you weighed yourself today, versus the other times? Did you eat or drink anything before getting back on the scale? Also if you had a lot of sodium after the first time you weighed yourself and the second that can lead to water retention.

The best cure for water retention is a cleanse (laxatives). But the results are short term so you'll put the water weight back on. Unless it's just water that is making it seem like you weigh more. If that's the case then the cleanse will make you lose 14 or 16 pounds and keep it off.

The important thing is to just stay calm and not freak out.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I think your scale is off..to gain 16 pounds in a week you would have to eat an extra 51,200 calories...that is ALOT of food...

Have you tried another scale?
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I told you that salt-lick was a bad idea, but nobody listens to me.
  • bluecrayonz
    bluecrayonz Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    idk why ur scale is acting like that but i swear babe there is no way in hell anyone gained 14 pounds in 3 days sooo weigh urself on a friends scale
  • DoneBroughtSexyBack
    Options
    idk why ur scale is acting like that but i swear babe there is no way in hell anyone gained 14 pounds in 3 days sooo weigh urself on a friends scale

This one time, I gained 15 lbs in 3 days...
  • maniesduchocolat
    maniesduchocolat Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    16 pounds in a week is way too much, something about the clothing you were wearing or the time you weighted yourself most have some role in it
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I have days where I weigh like 6 or 7 pounds more but never 15. fin scales!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options
    Were you wearing clothes or anything different when you weighed yourself today, versus the other times? Did you eat or drink anything before getting back on the scale? Also if you had a lot of sodium after the first time you weighed yourself and the second that can lead to water retention.

The best cure for water retention is a cleanse (laxatives). But the results are short term so you'll put the water weight back on. Unless it's just water that is making it seem like you weigh more. If that's the case then the cleanse will make you lose 14 or 16 pounds and keep it off.

The important thing is to just stay calm and not freak out.

You obviously did not read my OP carefully.

Thanks for your input without paying attention, but I DID NOT EAT ANYTHING between the times I weighed myself today.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    one time at band camp I gained 14 pounds....

trombones and my stomach don't really agree anymore....
  • attard321
    attard321 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The first thing I would do is double check on another scale. Make sure your scale is not malfunctioning. Second.. you are female. Could you be retaining water due to your cycle? I used to retain up to 10 lbs of water weight that would just disappear after. How is your sodium intake? Extra salt could also help you retain water. If water weight is the issue than no worries, it will not stay long. Good luck.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Muscle. Because muscle weighs more than fat. We all know that, duh
  • NurdyNurse
    NurdyNurse Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If you honestly gained that much weight in that amount of time, there could be a medical issue. Check your weight on another scale and if you have really gained that much weight without a reason, make an appointment to see your doctor.
  • mindygeske
    mindygeske Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Maybe the batteries were actually bad? I would get a new pack of batteries and try that. If not I would go use a friend's scale. Somethings up with that scale.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    That is absolutely impossible. Don't log it. Wait to see what next Friday says.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options
    I think your scale is off..to gain 16 pounds in a week you would have to eat an extra 51,200 calories...that is ALOT of food...

Have you tried another scale?

Yesterday a drank a whole bottle of wine and ate pizza and other things.... I don't know what that equals.