Closed diary's

Options

Replies

• turtlefitnessdad
    turtlefitnessdad Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    because i don't want anyone to know about my addiction to eating chalk and laundry soap.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends, but unless I ask, I don't really want advice or comments about it.
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    I use it as a tool to track my food but am certain it wouldn't help a soul. I hate veggies, I eat processed foods, I eat fast food and I even eat sweets. My diary is NOT pretty. When friends ask, I let them see it...but...having people judge it and tell me that I'm eating all of the wrong things is not beneficial to me...because for me...moderation and lots of working out works...I dropped over 100 pounds in a year so I'm ok with my way. My friends get it though and it's ok. I do get people that ask for me to open it from time to time.

Sadly, I haven't logged food in a long time...I need to get back on it because logging is half the battle!:drinker:
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Just a quick observation , I love looking at the success stories . And the one thing that sticks out is 2/3 of the people have closed diary's ? Why is this ? Surely an open diary would help other MFP people ? Is there a reason why ?
    I've been on MFP from start through ten months of maintenance. I don't even let my wife look at it. Two reasons: It's hard enough to be honest with myself. If mine was open, there would be too much temptation to dress it up and make it look more presentable.

Two, I know that when people open their diaries, others feel free to critique and offer suggestions. I'm not okay with that so it's always been closed. I don't critique the diaries of others either.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I use it as a tool to track my food but am certain it wouldn't help a soul. I hate veggies, I eat processed foods, I eat fast food and I even eat sweets. My diary is NOT pretty. When friends ask, I let them see it...but...having people judge it and tell me that I'm eating all of the wrong things is not beneficial to me...because for me...moderation and lots of working out works...I dropped over 100 pounds in a year so I'm ok with my way. My friends get it though and it's ok. I do get people that ask for me to open it from time to time.

This. If the weight ever stalls completely, I know I can ask my friends about it. They know me better - my tastes, my financial situation, time I have to cook or to not cook with. The general forums don't know these things and I'm not entirely comfortable disclosing every piece of information that goes into my food choices.
  • Mine's open to friends, I'm not ashamed of it, but I don't feel the need to be accountable to anyone but myself. The support network system on here is great, but it's not for me at present, I'm not a big internet communicator at the best of times, and I'm in no way knowledgeable enough about this to offer anyone else any constructive support. My relationship with food is changing, which means my diary is perhaps not the best it could be, but I know it's a million miles better than it was, and that's my journey, which I've got to make on my own. If it stops working or I feel I need some help, I wouldn't have a problem with opening it, and accepting the support and criticism that comes with that, but at the moment, it's working fine, I'm losing weight and eating more healthily, and that's exactly what I use MFP for.
  • 8Sam12
    8Sam12 Posts: 61
    Options
    I opened mine because I found looking at other people's diaries interesting... I've not had an unsolicited comments on it yet (in fact, I've had no comments on it)... I understand people who don't want to open theirs but I'll end up interacting with them on a different level...
  • turtlefitnessdad
    turtlefitnessdad Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends, but unless I ask, I don't really want advice or comments about it.

sorry
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It creeps me out a bit to think that random people want to look through my food diary. Every time I see one of these threads it makes me glad it's only open to friends. Just yesterday there was a really long thread where someone was "concerned" with all the junk food they see in other people's diaries. That sort of judgment makes people not want to share their diaries.

I track my food for myself. My friends can see it if they want to, but I'm not holding myself up as some gold standard.

If a person is stuck and needs advice then their diary needs to be open. Otherwise it's no one else's business.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Mine is currently open, but I lost most of my weight using an offline calorie counting app that had no social component whatsoever. People use social media in different ways. Try to understand that not everyone has the same goals, world view, approach to life, etc. Crazy, no?
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    It's a perk of being my friend :smile:
    Although, when i ask a question about nutrition, i do change it to open... then revert it a few days later.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Just a quick observation , I love looking at the success stories . And the one thing that sticks out is 2/3 of the people have closed diary's ? Why is this ? Surely an open diary would help other MFP people ?
    Is there a reason why ?

It's none of your business, really...
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    If one more person mocks my mayo addiction or the fact that I like ketchup on my eggs, I am shutting that ***** down!
  • JlenniferL
    JlenniferL Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have a open food journal for others to see what I am eating. Any questions just ask. Mine is also open so that my sis-in-law has other options by seeing what we eat.
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I have struggles with my relationship with food ever since I can remember. I am here for ME and noone else. I lost a lot gained health but I know my limitations. Opening myself up to criticism is only counter productive to me. Unfortunately I have gotten tons of critiques on my diary from every named group here (vegan, paleo, clean eaters). I don't ask for advice and I if I did I would ask real life people that I can face to face with so my diary will forever be closed on MFP.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    If one more person mocks my mayo addiction or the fact that I like ketchup on my eggs, I am shutting that ***** down!

Ketchup on eggs? Seriously?
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

It's good.
    I'll back Hoss on that...
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

I kinda get the ketchup thing. I like salsa on my eggs. :laugh:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I close my diary because I don't want to think about anyone else looking at it so I can be scrupulously honest with myself. It's a diary.

I know, for me, careful measuring and detailed tracking makes all the difference between a plateau and continued losing.

Early on I accepted 'friend' requests, because I love the community here. But I found when logging I thought about being embarrassed about a martini or a bit of ice cream or the fact that I was over by 20 calories or I hadn't exercised enough. I don't even want to think about anyone else when logging something - it has to be completely honest.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options

Bingo.