Do you have a brussels sprout recipe? Share!

Options

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yum,, i know very few people that like thse, i love them.
  • pacosal
    pacosal Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    awesome ideas! bump....
  • luvsunshine1
    luvsunshine1 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SexyPrettyMama
    Options
    I cut them in half, then into strips
    Evoo in skillet to coat on high heat
    Add chopped onions, garlic, Brussels Sprouts and fresh Basil. Season with sea salt and pepper of your choice.
    Turn heat down to medium.
    Stir and toss.
    Cook until most greens are crisp, and Brussels are done.

Delicious.
  • cococa
    cococa Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    This is how I made my boyfriend fall in love with brussel sprouts: http://csquaredculinaryadventures.wordpress.com/2012/02/06/making-a-lover-out-of-a-brussel-sprout-hater/

The recipe is from one of my favorite radio shows, The Splendid Table. You can find the recipe here: http://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/oven-caramelized-brussels-sprouts-autumn-fruits-0

Oven-Caramelized Brussels Sprouts with Autumn Fruits

2 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, quartered
    1 medium to large onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
    2 medium apples (Honey Crisp, Braeburn, Fuji), cored and cut into 1-inch wedges
    2 firm ripe Anjou or Comice pears, cored and cut into 1-inch wedges
    2 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
    3 branches fresh thyme
    16 large fresh sage leaves, torn
    5 large cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
    1/3 cup good tasting extra-virgin olive oil
    1/8 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
    1 tight-packed tablespoon brown sugar
    Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Slip 1 large shallow pan into oven to heat up (I use a half sheet pan, but you could use two smaller ones placed on two oven racks).
    2. In a big bowl toss together all the ingredients. Be generous with the salt and pepper.

3. Pull out the oven rack(s) with the sheet pan(s) on it. Taking care not to burn yourself, turn the vegetable-fruit blend onto the pan. Spread mixture out on the pan(s) in a single layer, and bake 40 minutes, turning several times, or until sprouts are easily pierced with a knife and everything is nicely browned. If necessary, run under the broiler for a few moments to brown.

4. Cool, refrigerate, and reheat at 375° for 30 minutes before serving.

brussel1.jpg
    brussel2.jpg
  • kelcro40
    kelcro40 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Pan sauteed with red onion, garlic, sea salt, and red wine vinegar!

Sea salt! Why didn't I think of that? I rarely use salt, but that sounds good.
  • Denise048
    Options
    Steam or saute, toss with a little butter, garlic and parmesean cheese.
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Bump!! I like brussel sprouts but never knew how to make them!
  • Getyourshineon
    Options
    Bump!
  • AZnessa
    AZnessa Posts: 1
    Options
    This is my current favorite:
    Cumin-braised Brussels Sprouts
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/cumin-braised-brussels-sprouts-10000000682611/
  • psuett
    psuett Posts: 2
    Options
    Chop them up and fry them in low cal spray oil till they start to cook then add chopped garlic and chestnuts and finish with a squeeze of lemon and salt & pepper
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Pan Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon

Ingredients
    4 strips thick-cut bacon
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 pound Brussels sprouts, halved
    1/2 large onion, chopped
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions
    Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crispy. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate, then roughly chop. In same pan with bacon fat, melt butter over high heat. Add onions and Brussels Sprouts and cook, stirring occasionally, until sprouts are golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and toss bacon back into pan. Serve immediately.
  • hockeywife91
    hockeywife91 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    bump
  • september_99
    Options
    I like to do them not as a hot dish, but cold. Steam and brown with onion, garlic and EVOO, cool, and add to a salad. Can be part of a roasted Veg salad of stand alone with red onion, bell peppers, cabbage, etc...with some fat free dressing of your choice.
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I quarter them, toss in olive oil, hit with salt & pepper, then roast in the oven until the outsides are brown and crispy. Then I dip them in a mix of nonfat plain greek yogurt mixed with a little dry ranch mix. Mmmmm.
  • stacygb
    stacygb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
  • judesmagudes
    Options
    Warm Brussels Sprout Salad by The Fit Cook is wonderful!! I have had this a few times!

http://www.thefitcook.net/1/post/2012/12/warm-brussels-sprouts-salad.html
  • jen81uk
    jen81uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Boil, steam them how you like and mash them into mashed potatoes for a sort of bubble and squeak mash?
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I just bought brussels sprouts last night and will be making them for dinner tonight. This topic couldn't have been more timely for me!
  • lilteepot
    lilteepot Posts: 97
    Options
    I cook some bacon (don't need much, one or two slices) leaving the fat, add shredded brussels sprouts (they loose some bitterness that way), and finely sliced onions, saute until cooked and at the end drizzle some balsamic over the top... now I want them....

*drooling* Know what I'm having for dinner tonight!