Free weights or machines?

Options
2»

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I started on machines because my Planet Fitnesses (there were two about equal distance from my house) didn't have free weights, only one lone smith machine that was always occupied by a gaggle of kids doing bench press.

Once I realized how much I hated driving to the gym, and hated running on the treadmill even more, I quit the gym and got free weights for home, and only run outside now. Best. Decision. Ever.

These pics were taken just two months after I quit the gym:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/744311-free-weights-vs-machines-holy-crap
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Free weights and body weight exercises only. Certain machines can cause straining muscles and ligaments because of the unnatural range of motion the machine makes you use e.g. smith machine.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/744311-free-weights-vs-machines-holy-crap

Check out Lorina!

I started in the same place you did - just need the machines.
    But after doing some reading and looking at the results of everyone who uses free weights - I switched!
    I started doing some random *kitten* dumbbell moves then switched to NROLFW then switched to Stronglifts.

I highly suggest switching to free weights - there are a bunch of pre-made routines.
    There's a thread here with all of the info - I wish I had the URL but you can search for it, it's got "info" and "for beginners" in the title.

I agree with watching youtube form videos, practice without any weight, watch yourself in a mirror, and get a session or two with a trainer if you can. And if you've watched a lot of form videos and think you've got a decent handle on it, and someone at the gym doing the moves you want that match what you've watched online, wait for them to finish & just ask!
  • al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Free weights.

At my gym at least, if you have a *specific* question or two a trainer would be more than happy to help.

Ditto the suggestions of looking up videos or books...though really I'd still be concerned that your form wouldn't be good and you'd get hurt.
  • SergeiKay
    SergeiKay Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Both have their pros and cons.

Free weights: if you know what you're doing and have some practice, you benefit from these a lot more than machines.

a few PROS
    - engage more muscles as most of the time you need to control and balance the weight.
    - there are tons of exercises you can do with them.
    - have an ability to work body parts individually, meaning, for example, left and right arms separately in dumbbell press, so you don't have the effect of the stronger side taking over.

CONS
    - for some exercises, you do need a spotter (but this can also be avoided with power racks, dumbbells, etc)

Machines lock you in one plane of motion most of the time, and they take out the balancing completely. Yes, almost always you don't need a spotter, and they can be useful to learn a motion, but if you're not a dumbass, you can leave your ego at the door and concentrate on your form with an appropriately weighed dumbbells, learn your limits, and slowly works past them in a controlled fashion.
  • ljcazan
    ljcazan Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You can do much more custom workouts with free weights. Make sure you go through the form and are doing it properly (even if that means doing the first couple sets with a lighter weight). They provide much more resistance (lack of pulleys and cables, etc) and you have to use your body to stabilize. You can also do things like deadlift, bench, etc with bars. Highly recommended. I rarely use machines, if ever (I even do the plate leg press and all that good stuff) and I am in great shape. I have fairly cut arms (not bulky) and I use heavy weights for a woman, too. Lift heavy ladies!
  • Tavysh
    Tavysh Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Not attempting to pitch a sale here but since I wasn't the only one to mention Starting Strength here's a link to the book we're talking about:

http://aasgaardco.com/store/store.php?crn=199&rn=413&action=show_detail
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't consider myself a weight lifter, because I don't enjoy it and therefor don't do it consistently. But when I do it, I like both. Both burn calories and stress your muscles. Which is "better"depends on your goal(s).
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    OP you answered your own question.

If everyone fit is using free weights.. why would you want to waste your time with machines?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    A mixture of both. There are some things you need machines for that can't be duplicated easily by free weights and vice versa.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I have an appointment with a trainer today to review the machines. Since I added running to my routine I am dropping weight again. I am hoping trading a day of cardio for strength traininng will help build more lean muscle and stop the excess weight loss.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Free weights > machines
  • mich1902
    mich1902 Posts: 182
    Options
    I just started on Sunday with a personal trainer. I have no experience of using the machines or dumbells. He has started me on the machines and gave me a record of what to do and how many reps and weight to use at the end of it. He did say though that once I was used to it I will be getting moved off of the machines and its not a forever thing...whatever that means ha! He does have quite a bit of solid muscle himself, and to be fair, I was aching the next day, still am!. Just need to get the confidence to do it on my own today after work!

The reason trainers do this is because it's easy and safe, period. You don't have to teach technique and no one is going to hurt themselves doing a machine poorly. He's just trying to avoid putting effort into someone he thinks may not be in this for the long haul.
  • mich1902
    mich1902 Posts: 182
    Options
    Ahh I see. I have got 5 sessions that I have paid for and i'll be asking to see him very soon then! I actually enjoyed doing it though, much better than cardio. I guess i'll just have to push him onto it and show that its what i want to do. thanks.
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Jonny I am using about 6 machines 3 days a week, I also do insanity so I am hitting alot of the muscles that I am not hitting at the gym. Do you think it would acceptable to ask someone at the desk at the gym to show me or is that something I'd have to pay for? All they seem to do is laugh and text the entire time they are working anyways.

I have an appointment with one of the trainers at my gym today for a quick run through of the machines. If I need a more in depth training plan I will schedule a paid for personal training session.