Favorite Salad Ingredients

Options
So I am trying to get back on the road to my diet. I am going to be eating salads for lunches, but I am tired of my same ingredients. What are your favorite salad toppings that don't add a ton of fat and calories? I usually do the 50/50 mix of spinach and spring mix, with some cheese, cucumbers, cranberries, tomatoes, and chicken. I need something to liven it up so its not the same daily. Also....do you mix it all up at once? I have to bring my lunch to work and with getting the kid ready in the am I am to lazy to make it daily, so I have been going to a salad bar and that's getting expensive! Thanks!

Replies

• pland54
    pland54 Posts: 132
    Options
    Strawberries and sunflower seeds! Also try adding some ruccola in there. And type of cheese can totally change up your salad. Try white cheddar this week, and crumbled goat cheese next week.
  • newmangrrl
    newmangrrl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    croutons, peas, fresh mushrooms, boiled eggs

Like you I like the spring mix mixed with spinach. I also mix my dressings to add some zest to it. I will premake the salad the night before (minus the dressing), so all I have to do is grab and go.
  • Better4Summer
    Options
    Love tuna, olives, tomatoes, carrot & lettuce ;)
  • sharnut751
    sharnut751 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have been roasting large pans of various veggies with just a bit of olive oil and seasonings and adding them to salad. It's a nice change from the typical salad inredients. Also to liven things up, I like to use a low sodium (or homemade) salsa in place of salad dressing. It makes me feel like I'm eating a taco salad without all the extra calories.
  • capnlizard
    capnlizard Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I cut up an entire head of Romaine lettuce and put it in a a big tupperware container. I have a smaller contained that is the size you would use for dressing, and I fill that one with a chipotle salsa and stick it IN the big container, on top of the lettuce (easier storage). I then bring a small container of grilled chicken (those screw-top containers that you can put soup in), already cut up, and I bring a whole avocado. When I want my lunch, I heat up the chicken, cut up the avocado with a plastic knife (I keep a box in my classroom), and toss all of it into the bowl, salsa included. I put the top back on the big container and shake it up to combine everything and mush up the avocado.

I usually grill off a couple of pounds of chicken on Sunday nights so that my husband and I can both bring lunch all week. Then, each night, I chop up my lettuce and put together my salsa, my portion of chicken, etc. That way, I can just grab and go in the morning. Although it seems like a pain in the *kitten* to have so many containers, it all fits in a lunch bag or a big purse and it keeps my salad from getting soggy. I think the whole thing comes out to around 450 calories, but that can be adjusted to lower cal by reducing the amount of avocado you use.
  • Nacho12
    Nacho12 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I buy romaine lettuce and chop it in bottom of the bowl. Add cherry tomatoes, celery, boiled eggs, salmon or tuna and boiled eggs. I sometimes add sunflower seeds or slivered almonds or garbanzo beans or kidney beans. You could make the salad the night before, just add the salmon or tuna when you get ready to eat. I just use a ready made salad dressing, Newman's basil and balsemic or italian.
  • bdburch
    bdburch Posts: 127
    Options
    I love spinach, strawberries, blueberries, and chopped pecans. Also, if it's available, a pomegranate vinaigrette. If not, I usually go with some olive oil or eat it dry.
  • cnjazvac
    cnjazvac Posts: 9
    Options
    Avocado! Yes it's calorie rich, but full of vitamins, potassium and GOOD fats. And it really fills me up.

Salsa is a great salad topping. Low calorie, works like a dressing and has TONS of flavour.

Also try having kale or arugula salads, they have a LOT more flavour than the spring mix.
  • hddeuce1966
    hddeuce1966 Posts: 104
    Options
    Strawberries go really well with spinach. I also like tuna on romaine and spinach with wal-mart fat free italian.
  • kristinahollowell
    kristinahollowell Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love garbanzo beans, black beans, mexi corn, a meat full of protein, and a just a touch of blue cheese. SOOO much flavor, and the toppings have so much fiber and protein that it keeps me full for a long time! Just be sure to measure your quantities....I only do anywhere from 1/8 to 1/4 a cup per topping.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Berries, apples, pecan or almonds, goat or bleu cheese (just a few crumbles)

Carrots, corn cucumbers, green peppers bleu cheese (just a few crumbles)

I like really any type of vinaigrette but mostly balsamic

Look up salad jars online, you make the whole salad including dressing in a mason jar ahead of time (Sunday night?) You put the dressing on the bottom, then toppings then lettuce, and vacuum seal the jars shut, the ingredients stay fresh for days. (I haven't tried this method but it has been floating around for a while so it may just work!)
  • lizjohnson2169
    Options
    I like the 50/50 mix too. That is all we eat at my house. Sunflower seeds, chicken, tuna, boiled eggs, mini pepperoni (only a few because they are high in sodium), bell pepper slices ,and tomatoes are amongst our favorites. Of course if we do chicken we don't also do tuna lol
    I prefer a fat free low calorie honey mustard dressing.
  • justagrrl898
    Options
    croutons, peas, fresh mushrooms, boiled eggs

Like you I like the spring mix mixed with spinach. I also mix my dressings to add some zest to it. I will premake the salad the night before (minus the dressing), so all I have to do is grab and go.

Don't croutons add a ton of calories? Or is there a good kind to get? I love the crunch of them but not enough to cut out other things!!!!
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Artichokes, Olives, Mandarin oranges are staples for me!
  • al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    FETA. Salad is so much better with feta cheese on it. I keep it simple with, spring mix/spinach, feta, roma tomato, shallots, and some vinaigrette dressing.
  • rjc0914
    rjc0914 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Apple sliced up and balsamic dressing go really good together IMO. Also, I know you said low cal/low fat, but enjoy a handful of raw cashews on my salads too. High in fat, but its essential healthy fat.
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Add some protein! --fish, chicken, even lean steak will help jazz up your salad and make it more filling....otherwise here are a couple other ideas....
    chicken, avocado, tomatoes, corn (small amounts), onions, peppers, and use a lime instead of actual dressing
    hardboiled eggs, turkey, ham, carrots
    dried cherries, goat cheese, walnuts or pecans, strawberries
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I like mine with tomatoes, cucumbers, banana peppers and jalapenos! It adds some zing. :D
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I also love spring mix, but chop up some fresh dill (or any herbs, basil is also good) and add to it. Completely changes the flavor and is so good.

Add shrimp/chicken - protein and few calories, grill or roast some of the veggies you add, add kidney beans or chickpeas - again, protein + fiber, and not that many calories for what you get.

I sometimes do a "warm" salad, with rice and chicken on top of the salad bed.

Try veggies you don't usually see or use - baby corn, mushrooms, mukimame (easy to find frozen, it's the soybean "peas" out of the pod, lots of protein).

Banana peppers can give it a bit of a spicy kick. Use salsa as the dressing to do the same thing.

I love salads. So easy to get all of your vitamins and servings of vegetables if you eat a salad :)
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I love those Target salads with the grilled chicken and the goat cheese wheels and dried cherries. It comes with a really good dressing, too.