What are some REAL butter brands?

Options
I'm trying to find some REAL butter. I mean, not made from canola oil, or any partially hydrogenated oil, no margarine..
good ol REAL butter.

But I'm not sure what brands there are? Any ideas?

Replies

• Michellerw1
    Michellerw1 Posts: 367
    Options
    I use Kerrygold (I think that is what it is called). It comes in a gold foil wrapper. And deliciously real butter! I have used the Trader Joe's brand butter as well and it is good.
  • lydaugherty
    Options
    I use Kerrygold (I think that is what it is called). It comes in a gold foil wrapper. And deliciously real butter! I have used the Trader Joe's brand butter as well and it is good.

Very cool, Thanks :) Is this something I can pick up at a walmart or kroger? Or is it a specialty-store kind of thing? Just wondering, lol
  • Michellerw1
    Options
    I always see it at Safeway and Raley's (major grocery stores). I HATE margarine and artificial butter. Bleck.
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Land O' Lakes! It's what I grew up on! I just buy the storebrand equivalent now. I buy the salted whipped variety and I leave it out on the counter (yes, my family has done it for years and we've never gotten sick!) because the salt "cures" it really, that's the key.. it HAS to be salted in order to be able to leave it out and prevent "things" from growing in it! Eventually it has to be thrown out and I buy a fresh one but I HATE refrigerated butter! I like room temperature, soft butter ready for my foods! :happy:

(Disclaimer: leave butter out on your counter at your own risk!) :flowerforyou:
  • Pariah
    Pariah Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Land O' Lakes! It's what I grew up on! I just buy the storebrand equivalent now. I buy the salted whipped variety and I leave it out on the counter (yes, my family has done it for years and we've never gotten sick!) because the salt "cures" it really, that's the key.. it HAS to be salted in order to be able to leave it out and prevent "things" from growing in it! Eventually it has to be thrown out and I buy a fresh one but I HATE refrigerated butter! I like room temperature, soft butter ready for my foods! :happy:

(Disclaimer: leave butter out on your counter at your own risk!) :flowerforyou:

i use land o lakes as well. and we also leave our butter out.
  • lydaugherty
    Options
    So I was looking at the land o lakes info on their butter.

Regular salted whipped butter ingredients: Pasteurized Sweet Cream, Natural Flavoring
    50 calories, 6g of fat, 50mg of sodium.

LIGHT whipped butter: 45 calories, 5g of fat, 85 mg of sodium.
    Butter (Cream, Salt), Water*, Food Starch-Modified*, Contains Less Than 2% of Tapioca Maltodextrin*, Salt, Vegetable Mono And Diglycerides*, Lactic Acid*, Potassium Sorbate* (Preservative), Sodium Benzoate* (Preservative), Xanthan Gum*, Natural Flavor* Vitamin A Palmitate*, Beta Carotene* (color).

What is wrong with people?? lol. (in a non offensive way that is!!)
    So you lose 5 calories, ADD 35mg of sodium... and ingest those crazy ingredients? for 5 less calories??
    mono and diglycerides!!
  • Michellerw1
    Options
    Challenge butter is a good one too. It is just regular old butter.
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options

Regular salted whipped butter ingredients: Pasteurized Sweet Cream, Natural Flavoring

Butter (Cream, Salt), Water*, Food Starch-Modified*, Contains Less Than 2% of Tapioca Maltodextrin*, Salt, Vegetable Mono And Diglycerides*, Lactic Acid*, Potassium Sorbate* (Preservative), Sodium Benzoate* (Preservative), Xanthan Gum*, Natural Flavor* Vitamin A Palmitate*, Beta Carotene* (color).

So you lose 5 calories, ADD 35mg of sodium... and ingest those crazy ingredients? for 5 less calories??
    mono and diglycerides!!

Exactly. I use the regular, full fat kind, I just use it sparingly. I believe a "serving" is 1tbsp but I only use 1tsp... that's 1/3 of a tbsp so the calories are minimal and I'm not deprived of my true buttery addiction :)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    :love: I will take a 1/2 tbls of the real stuff over a gob of the fake. Mmmmmm butter.

I have had ppl over for dinner make a comment about it being an 'off' night for me because I was putting butter on my peas. :huh:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    :love: I will take a 1/2 tbls of the real stuff over a gob of the fake. Mmmmmm butter.

I have had ppl over for dinner make a comment about it being an 'off' night for me because I was putting butter on my peas. :huh:

Oh and Kerry Gold is the best butter ever :heart:
  • lydaugherty
    Options

Aww... butter's not bad for you! As long as you're in calorie range! :):):)

lol. Well, hopefully Walmart or Kroger will have KerryGold or Land o Lakes.
    My husband (who does the grocery shopping believe it or not!) swears there
    was only butter made from vegetable oil/canola oil and other crazy stuff.
  • lydaugherty
    Options
    I just found out that margarine, is just heated vegetable oil (which makes the oil rancid), mixed with nickel catalystis and hydrogen .. and when it's done, it's gray and stinky. They have to add deodorants and coloring to make it appealing. YUMMY RIGHT?
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

OMG, I soooo second this!!!! Other than that, I get some heavy cream and sometimes make my own.............yummy!!!!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I just found out that margarine, is just heated vegetable oil (which makes the oil rancid), mixed with nickel catalystis and hydrogen .. and when it's done, it's gray and stinky. They have to add deodorants and coloring to make it appealing. YUMMY RIGHT?

Now you've gone and made me hungry 00020451.gif

:laugh:
  • July24Lioness
    Options

mono and diglycerides!!

I know no one wants to hear this....................but the low fat propaganda people, Big Pharma and the government are all in this together to keep people from eating healthier so that the money makers (Big Pharma and the medical establishment) keep the US turning.............The medical field is BIG business!!

That is why I pretty much try to stay with a naturopathic doctor, but I am using my insurance right now to get the necessary blood work and stuff done to take back to the naturopath to get back on track.

I look back at how people used to eat at the turn of the century and before the 1950's when the low fat propaganda started.

Our ancestors a generation or 2 back ate real butter, lard, bacon grease, fruit, veggies, protein, fresh eggs, raw milk striaght from the cow, etc...............they ate very natural and very UNprocessed. And guess what, our ancestors lived to be in good health and live to ripe old ages..............

The 1950's and the low fat way started and here comes high cholesterol, Diabetes is now an epidemic and so is obesity. There are so many syndromes and diseases, cancer is at an all time high................

It is like they are waging genocide on the American people and you know what else? Most people don't seem to mind. That is sad to me.

That makes up a lot of my reason for being so passionate about how I feel.
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options
    I'm trying to find some REAL butter. I mean, not made from canola oil, or any partially hydrogenated oil, no margarine..
    good ol REAL butter.

But I'm not sure what brands there are? Any ideas?

i did this same thing a while ago. I found balade light butter. They carry it at costco near the imported cheeses i believe. I think its from denmark..but essentially its real butter (with like 4 ingredients) and they use milk fat somehow to cut the calories and fat in half from normal butter.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Mmmm.... butter.

I also grew up on Land O'Lakes. The real, full fat stuff. Salted and yes, room temperature. Soooo tasty.

I tried to buy margarine once while in college because I wasn't going through the real stuff fast enough and my butter kept going rancid. My mom came for a visit and nearly disowned me.

"MARGARINE?!? That is not how you were raised!" she said. :laugh:

That was the last time I did THAT! Besides, it tasted awful. Give me real food, please!
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Edited to add a disclaimer....................

***I am not trying to push my ideas or beliefs on anyone that belongs to this site. I am merely sharing information with everyone. ***

You could always make your own.....................then you KNOW the ingredients that went into making it!!!

Here is a recipe from Mother Nature News that tells you what to do.............

My husband and I have taken turns with the shaking part to create butter, but it was well worth it in the end............

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/1978-03-01/How-To-Make-Butter.aspx
  • mapnerd2005
    mapnerd2005 Posts: 363
    Options
    whatever brand you find, make sure it is salted or unsalted sweet cream. The fewer the ingredients the better.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I used to only eat Parkay, but now I would honestly rather just have butter. I wish more companies would lean toward REAL ingredients. I read all my packages from the store, and I try to get as minimally processed as possible. It's hard, though! Even the organic stuff has ingredients that I don't know what they are. I found a frozen organic "cool whip" the other day, and the ingredient list was just as scary as the regular stuff. What ever happened to butter, eggs, flour, salt, sugar, fruit, and vegetables? Back when these products were first invented, they weren't made with all these crazy ingredients. They were made in a kitchen, by a person. Can't we just go back to that, pretty please? :) That's why I looooove my farmer's market!