*Daily Whine* Do I HAVE to Cardio?

Options
124»

Replies

• terriejones
    terriejones Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I don't know how far away from the gym you are. Either walk to the gym or park your car a few blocks away and walk the rest of the way. After your workout you're forced to walk to your car. And if the parking lot at the gym is always full, others will appreciate the extra parking space. I WORRY since you said you get out of breath very easily. I hope you'll try the parking trick.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    Hearts are necessary for life. Take care of yours. If you're getting out of breath very easily... well...

Cardio also improves and increases your vasculature, increases mitochondria, lots of good stuff.

Some folks like to avoid cardio because they believe they will lose muscle mass and strength. That is a choice to make, make it yours. But if you are demonstrating the signs of less than optimal cardiovascular health, perhaps you should train to improve it.

I know, I know. You are all right. A healthy heart and all that stuff is equally important. I just hate doing it.

I used to hate it too, until I found something I enjoyed doing. My advice is to stretch out and try different cardio workouts until you find something you like.
  • mgpage
    mgpage Posts: 123
    Options
    I'm with you on the cardio, I would rather lift weights. I started about a month ago and love it! However, I do still do some cardio, dancing w/my kids or walk to the end of the road and back (is up hill) about a 1/4 mile. Just to get my heart rate up. My daughters just started track so now we will run from telephone pole to telephone pole and then walk to the next. I have to make it a game because I can't stand it otherwise.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would rather do weights all day long than do cardio. My cardio is terrible and i get out of breath so easily. But weights are fun!

If you are concerned about aesthetics only, then probably not. But, if you get out of breath easily when doing cardio, then you really aren't very "fit". So if fitness is your goal, then yes you need to do cardio.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I am considering elliptical and treadmill type exercises to be pure cardio. I know I get some cardio when I strength train, but I think I should be doing more cardio work.

Cardio is just weight lifting for your cardiovascular system. How much cardio you need to do depends you what your goals are just as your lifting goals dictate how you lift. Just walking for 30 minutes 5-6 times per week is sufficient for good heart health, but you're obviously not going to see much increase in aerobic or endurance capability.

I do aerobic zone cardio 3x weekly and recovery cardio (walk or mellow cycling) 3x weekly for overall heart health and some aerobic gains and general fitness level...but I'm not looking to be able to perform like an athlete either. Most of my focus is on my lifting and strength gains.
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    I use to hate cardio. I would get out of breath as well and it made me want to quit. I had a friend who kept telling me to think of my heart and lungs and they need a work out a couple of days a week too. When I would have to go upstairs at work I hated that I was the person at the top that was out of breath. So I kept doing it. Every week it got a little easier. Now I don't love it. But I like it a lot more. Plus, I am no longer out of breath when I climb a couple flights of stairs.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Daily wine? Yes.

Daily cardio? No.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Daily wine? Yes.

Daily cardio? No.

Also, other stuff Can alsO do CrAzy thINgs to jumpstart your mEtabolism
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Daily wine? Yes.

Daily cardio? No.

Oooo . . .. I like where this is going.

You mean like . . . . . making whoopy time?
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    If you care about your cardiovascular fitness, yes, you have to do cardio. If you don't, you don't. It's not a prerequisite to weight loss but it is a prerequisite for being able to outrun your friends when chased by a bear.

Don't make fun. I live in bear country USA. When I was a boy my three friends and I - those are Gilly, Tom and Wumpus (don't ask) - had a little encounter with a hungry momma bear down by the swimming hole. Well old Wumpus (don't ask) was the real beanbrain of the group and got the fool notion in his head that maybe it'd be a good idea to throw a rock or two at momma bear. Damned if that big beast didn't come charging for the four of us toot sweet. And I'll tell you what, we high-tailed it outta there like a cat with a tail afire! Damned if Gilly, he was the big one, just wasn't fast enough. Wumpus (don't ask) still wakes up to the night terrors on account of the whole ordeal.

So, do you need to do cardio? Well. I guess you should ask little Gilly Bearchow, god rest.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Daily wine? Yes.

Daily cardio? No.

Oooo . . .. I like where this is going.

You mean like . . . . . making whoopy time?

No, although I adMit that dEfiniTely would Help too.
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Oh much better topic *daily wine*! I can get into that much better!

And as for "other" activities, it's usually my muscles that get tired first! So weight training is better. See how I fixed that to my advantage?
  • jessykab74
    jessykab74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I don't like cardio either so when I am really not in the mood to do it. I will do it for 10 min hard and then weights, 10 min again hard, weights and then 10-20 min cardio again.

What concerns me is when you say you have a hard time breathing when you do it. Are you a smoker? if not maybe you should have that looked at
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I am considering elliptical and treadmill type exercises to be pure cardio. I know I get some cardio when I strength train, but I think I should be doing more cardio work.

I would hate it too, if I had to use a machine for cardio. Even going for a brisk walk is good for the heart - no reason why you can't do that outside in the fresh air, unless you live in a dangerous area.
  • timpicks
    timpicks Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Cardiovascular disease is the number one cause of death in the US. You will improve your life expectancy by doing some cardio exercise on a daily basis. You don't HAVE to do anything. Most don't. Don't know what your goals are, but breathing is a big goal of mine.