Green Coffee Bean Extract (GCBE) and Garcinia Cambogia

Options
Has anybody tried either of these? I heard about Garcinia cambogia (which is a fruit extract) from a friend and found GCBE while researching Garcinia cambogia. I did some research and both are that miracle diet pill that sounds too good to be true.

But I found some GCBE fairly cheap at Wal-Mart. $6.50 for a bottle, but it's only a 10 day supply. This is the Spring Valley brand. I found another one that's a 14 day supply for about $10, which is Phytogenix brand . Both of them have GCBE Svetol, which apparently is the key ingredient for weight loss. You can get cheaper GCBE without Svetol, but from everything I've read, that's worthless and a waist of money.

Anyway, I thought I would experiment. I picked up both kinds. I am starting day 3 of the Spring Valley brand. In the first 2 days, I lost about 3 pounds, and an inch off my waist. I'm not saying this is a miracle drug by any means lol. The week before I started taking this, my eating was not the best, but for the last 2 days, I have been tracking everything and eating properly. So, some of that may be water weight, not sure.

After this 10 day supply is up, I'll be trying the other brand. The Phytogenix brand recommended taking their GCBE with Raspberry Ketone of the same brand, so I picked it up as well (another $10).

Then I ordered some of the Garcinia cambogia on Amazon, so after I'm done with the GCBE, I'll try this.

They are for the most part herbal, but do have some additives, so unless I find a pure brand that's affordable, it's not something I'll do for the long term.

I think I'll post my progress through my blog if anyone want to keep up with it there.

So, after that long post, I'll ask my original question again..... Has anybody tried either of these? Successful? Unsucessful?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Has anybody tried either of these? I heard about Garcinia cambogia (which is a fruit extract) from a friend and found GCBE while researching Garcinia cambogia. I did some research and both are that miracle diet pill that sounds too good to be true.

When it sounds too good to be true it usually is. Weight loss happens from less calories in than calories going out. There are no magic pills and the "effects" you'll see will be partly you thinking it did something and partly the fact that it's making you more aware of what you're doing.

Especially since these are Dr OZ promotions makes them even more suspect.
  • Jungster
    Options
    True....but I've dieted enough to know how fast I lose weight, and how I feel when I eat certain things. None of these pills are things I'll do long term, just something I'm experimenting with.

I don't expect them to be miracle pills. I'm not expecting to lose 30 pounds this month.

But if they help just a little, as in a bit more energy or a little bit speedier loss, then it's not going to hurt anything. And I've never watched Dr. Oz, so the fact that he promotes them means nothing to me.
  • Cheri1218
    Cheri1218 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Just read about Garcinia Cambogia in a magazine and wondered what everyone thought. If it's a natural herb, what could it hurt? Other than wasting some money if it doesn't work.
  • Jungster
    Options
    That was my thought. It's not going to hurt. I'm still on the green coffee bean, and I've noticed more energy during the day and a lifted mood. :-)
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    If there was a magic diet pill for real, do you think it would cost 6.50 at Walmart? No. It would cost thousands. Or Oprah would own the rights to it and would only dole it out to us when she was sure we had had our "A-ha" moment.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I am really big into using herbs, but I would be careful with paying for these things.
    Even if they do work, it's your compliance to a regimen that is so crucial.
    I personally find that, with my own dynamics, my compliance to any one regimen is not possible, so...I would fail.

I
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    You are wasting your time and potentially your money looking for shortcuts. Diet and exercise are the only things that really "work". But I'm sure Dr. Oz would be a little richer if you bought some of this stuff.
  • losingweightfindingme
    Options
    I take GCBE now. I used to take it to help me over plateaus and it does. Now I take it because i work at night and I like the boost of energy I get from GCBE and Raspberry Ketones. I would never buy the Wal-Mart ones. You get what you pay for. I bought mine at GNC and I can definitely feel a difference in my energy level and they have helped me bust a couple plateaus. I have since joined MFP and discovered the awesomeness of obsessively recording my calories. :o)
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Just read about Garcinia Cambogia in a magazine and wondered what everyone thought. If it's a natural herb, what could it hurt? Other than wasting some money if it doesn't work.

Just because something is natural doesn't mean it is harmless. Cyanide is a naturally occurring substance. Taking an supplement of poison ivy may not go well...

I know nothing about this natural whatever wonder herb you are talking about but do be careful. "Natural" does not equal safe or harmless. Everyone should be aware :flowerforyou:
  • tpt1950
    tpt1950 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    imagesCAQ25QQ8_zps79e42e66.jpg
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    anytime I hear the word "miracle diet" I immediately cease reading..

you want to lose weight..eat in a defecit and work out...end of story...

want to know why people gain all that weight back = miracle or fad diet and the minute they stop they put back on 20#s and wonder why they can't lose weight....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    if I put some crap in a pill, bottled it, and said it "stimualtes fat loss" would you buy it?
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    That was my thought. It's not going to hurt. I'm still on the green coffee bean, and I've noticed more energy during the day and a lifted mood. :-)

Of course you notice more energy. It's coffee.

But they both sound like a miraculous waste of cash.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    My friend trtied the green coffee and had to stop because it kept her awake at night.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

ephedrine is natural stimulant (it comes from a Chinese herb). it has killed people. even professional athletes who are presumably in very good health. so yeah... natural herbs can hurt you.

image540919x.jpg
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    True....but I've dieted enough

And yet, you're here to lose weight. Your diets don't work then. Pills don't work.

A moderate calorie deficit and some exercie will work. Try that.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

Natural doesn't mean healthy. Just because something is labelled as natural doesn't mean it can't harm you or interfer with any other medicaitons you are taking.

And the drug companies can make whatever claims they want on the bottle. Diet pills are suppliments and therefore are not regulated by the FDA.

OP, the pills are not causing you to lose more fat. Correlation doesn't equal causeation.
  • curlac
    curlac Posts: 20
    Options
    tough crowd huh? I thought this is the place you could go and ask questions not be torn apart for asking them
  • EyeballBiscuit
    Options
    tough crowd huh? I thought this is the place you could go and ask questions not be torn apart for asking them

^^This...is what I was thinking as well. Remind me to never post a question on this site, ever!
  • alison590
    alison590 Posts: 61
    Options
    Why would people bother to respond just to be rude. A friend has lost 20 pounds and claims that the green coffee bean extract has helped tremendously!
This discussion has been closed.