Why drink your calories away?

Options
_SABOTEUR_
_SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
I'm curious why some people have such a large portion of their daily cals in liquid form?

No matter how many calories the milk/protein powder/shake may be they never satisfy me. Only food satisfies me.

Food is delicious and it is not the enemy.

Replies

• DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I am in constant awe of the women around me who are trying to lose weight, and their go-to drink is pop. Sugar in a can. No nutritional value whatsoever. If they would only cut that out, they would lose weight and fast.

I will have a protein shake if I'm in a hurry.

But I agree. I'd rather have FOOD!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Are they "drinking their calories away" or are they simply having a protein shake post-workout?
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be a post about alcohol ha ha...another source of liquid calories.
  • Ashi69
    Ashi69 Posts: 2
    Options
    I guess it's just easier. I personally prefer my nutritional shake in the morning for breakfast - blend up some Shakeo with banana and almond milk and that keeps me going for hours until my mid-mornig snack time. I don't think it's bad to consumer nutrition this way, but I defo dont think we should get all our meals that way! :)
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be a post about alcohol ha ha...another source of liquid calories.

But the calories don't count as long as you're having a good time.... ; )
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    My protein intake is a little higher than what most people have theirs set at, and it's really hard for me to eat as much protein laden food as I would need to get 160-180 grams a day. (read: eating that much meat makes me feel like I'm going to vomit. Additionally, meat is expensive. Supplement is much cheaper per gram). But I can totally drink 16 ozs. As far as "wasting calories..." I eat back my exercise calories. It's a rare day when I'm not eating between 2300 and 2800. I can totally spare 400 for 2 scoops of protein and 2 cups of milk.
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    100% agreement, I have a V-8 fruit/veggie drink or a 'weight-loss shake' in reserve for days when I've got no time to eat, but don't want to get ina rage and kill someone...but otherwise...FOOD!!!
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    My protein intake is a little higher than what most people have theirs set at, and it's really hard for me to eat as much protein laden food as I would need to get 160-180 grams a day. (read: eating that much meat makes me feel like I'm going to vomit. Additionally, meat is expensive. Supplement is much cheaper per gram). But I can totally drink 16 ozs. As far as "wasting calories..." I eat back my exercise calories. It's a rare day when I'm not eating between 2300 and 2800. I can totally spare 400 for 2 scoops of protein and 2 cups of milk.

I'm right there with you. My shake is 45g of protein when it's mixed with water, and when i make it, i use milk so even more from that. Not only does it help me reach my protein goals, but it's fast and easy. Yes, I'm the type that refuses to wake up any earlier than necessary to go to work. No cooking breakfast before i head out the door for me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've tried a lot of protein shakes and it never filled me up, until I tried shakeology. I mix that with almond milk and a few ice cubes and it keeps me full for 2-3 hours and reduces my craving for sweets (it takes like a milk shake). It's win/win.

Otherwise, I only drink water or plain tea.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Whether I'm on a bulk, or simply maintaining, my calories are almost always between 2000-2500, and I have a small appetite so drinking my calories is sort of a necessity, and yes sometimes I do drink empty juice calories (to fill my calorie goal), but never soda, its usually milk, shakes or juice.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    Options

Point taken. I usually have, at least, one glass of milk a day. But, when somone is getting 50%+ of their cals from drinks, it makes me sad.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I drink some of my calories away because:

I can't seem to get adequate calcium from food alone
    I can't seem to get adequate protein from food alone without eating more meat than I enjoy
    V8 is a low calorie, nutrient dense, drink just filling enough to get me through to lunch.
    Wine tastes really good and makes me feel warm and fuzzy.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Point taken. I usually have, at least, one glass of milk a day. But, when somone is getting 50%+ of their cals from drinks, it makes me sad.

Why does it make you sad? Just because you like to eat a lot of food doesn't mean that everyone will. Live and let live.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    Options
    Are they "drinking their calories away" or are they simply having a protein shake post-workout?

By 'large portion of their cals' I mean over 50%. I'm not referring to one post-workout shake.
  • JustJennie1
    Options

By 'large portion of their cals' I mean over 50%. I'm not referring to one post-workout shake.

My smoothie that I make post workout can be 500 calories and that's a good chunk of my calories for the day.

ETA: I'm not being snarky either.
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I think some MFP's need to realise that a post work -out shake is not a meal replacement.

I am not bothered about using protein shakes, I have them every now and again when I am in a rush but prefer to get my protein from real food.

What I really cannot understand are the amount of people who eat barely anything all day and drink coffee drinks with 70-200 calories a time. I am so glad I have never been a coffee junkie. :)
  • JustJennie1
    Options
    I think some MFP's need to realise that a post work -out shake is not a meal replacement.

But I think it depends on what the shake is. My smoothies have yogurt, peanut butter, bananas, blueberries, milk, and protein and they're really good and fill me up until lunch.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    The only calories I drink are my coffee, any wine I drink and my protein shakes. I don't drink shakes as a meal replacement... I use protein shakes to help me meet my protein goals. I also drink a protein shake if I want something sweet or something chocolate (my protein, mixed with milk/almond milk tastes just like chocoalte milk). It is much better than reaching for a chocolate bar as it gives better nutrients.
  • zooles
    zooles Posts: 93 Member
    Options

But the calories don't count as long as you're having a good time.... ; )

Aaahhh I knew all of my weekend debauchery wasn't in vain. :drinker: Carry on!!
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I am probably a freak of nature because I've never consumed a slim-fast or any other weight loss drink. I've also never had a protein shake. Like the OP, I love food. I don't feel satisfied unless I am chewing! I would die on an all liquid diet!