Unrelated ?'s on racks and tight pants...

Options

Replies

• hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I actuall rarely see anyone using the rack for squats so I don't feel bad using it for what I want to. Everyone at the gym is pretty friendly and it doesn't seem to be a problem with people sharing the equipment. I ave been going around 4 pm when it's not busy so I can bust out my workout and not tie down the rack during a peak time.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    why does every one keep sayin dead lifts in a rack? you deadlift off the ground last time i checked?

Rack pulls are essentially deadlifts in the rack with the bar elevated. Some folks like to do that and call it a DL.

Some people also prefer to have the bar very slightly elevated especially if working with smaller plates.

Stack some 25's on the floor to make a couple platforms, problem solved.

Not for rack pulls its not. And why bother if there is an open rack?
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    why does every one keep sayin dead lifts in a rack? you deadlift off the ground last time i checked?

Rack pulls are essentially deadlifts in the rack with the bar elevated. Some folks like to do that and call it a DL.

Some people also prefer to have the bar very slightly elevated especially if working with smaller plates.

Stack some 25's on the floor to make a couple platforms, problem solved.

I can understand doing this in a pinch totally and have - I mean - you should have seen my clumsy *kitten* racking and unracking weights on the trap bar yesterday - comical at best. But, if the squat rack is there and unoccupied... and you don't want to steal 6 25# plates from the the other weight stations... I dont see it as bad etiquette to rack the bar there and then back out and away.

Totally agree, and I do it too. My issue is when I ask nicely to sub in to knock out some squats and I get attitude.

word.
  • Cognito1025
    Cognito1025 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Secondly, to the ladies: What's the deal with undies under yoga pants/spandex/etc? Perpetual wedgie is not a good look....

I'm old and married and totally unashamed that I rock granny panties pretty much 24/7. I never gave much thought as to what the young studs at the gym might be thinking when they see a full pantied butt in tight yoga pants lifting or running on the treadmill.

Wonderful - something else for me to worry about!!! Not really, I just don't care that much. But my husband might like it if I started wearing thongs under my workout gear! ;-)

Are you calling me a "young stud"? I'm blushing, as I'm also married and older than you...thanks!
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    are you suggesting we go commando?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

why do you need to use the rack for deadlifts? I really don't get that. There is no benefit to using the rack for them. or for pendlay rows or for OHP. I can see using it if you're pushing your Bench to the max without a spotter. And for squats. And good mornings. But i really see no reason to use the rack other than for safety.

For deadlifts: Because its a bloody pain in the *kitten* getting the plates on and off. If no-one is using it and no-one is waiting for it what business is it of anyone's?

Also, one of my warm up weights is less than 135lb and I am not about to use bumper plates if I can help it as it affects the stability of the bar and they are also a pain in the *kitten*.

Also, for rows...what about if your sets are less than 135lb also?

Plus, I am not about to risk trying to clean the bar up for OHP at the weight I do my working set.

Oh, but I do go commando so I have no wedgie issue.

That's funny. I had no idea people could OHP weights they couldn't clean.

I am willing to concede there may be a time that the squat rack is a good place to rack your OHP, but I still think the PT in the hypothetical was being a douche.

I *could* clean it, but I am not about to try an eff my back up with a weight heavier than I am comfortable doing so with.

I agree though, the the PT in the hypothetical was.

IMO, I can do what I want in the squat rack as long as I am not being a d!ck about it. If no-one is waiting, why does anyone care. If someone is waiting, I can either work in or load my deads outside the rack.
  • ChloeRoseLejeune
    Options

Secondly, to the ladies: What's the deal with undies under yoga pants/spandex/etc? Perpetual wedgie is not a good look....

Judgemental much?

How is this judgmental? Saying something looks bad is just pointing out a fact. Calling that woman a sl*t and a wh*re because of it, now THAT would be judgmental. Get your definitions straight before crawling up someone's butt, mmmkay?

Responses like that ^ is what makes people hate you. Smh. :smokin:
  • anon189
    anon189 Posts: 42
    Options
    OMG I can't believe people don't wear underwear at the gym. I always wear underwear. I don't like feeling naked or "on display" and to me I think not wearing underwear is ridiculously uncomfortable, especially in tight pants! Like I really want my pants riding up places while working out. Ewwwwwww...
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

1) Proper squat rack etiquette? Whoever got there first gets to use it doing whatever exercises they d@mn well please and aren't obligated to share with you especially when a trainer is being paid by the hour.

2) Who are you to criticise every exercise she's doing with her client?

3) What f@ck do you care if a girl has a "perpetual wedgie" at your gym or not? Maybe keep your eyes off her *kitten* in the first place?

I understand the frustration with someone taking a long time on the squat rack. But sometimes I need to remind myself that other people use the gym also.

I'll respond in order:

1) I suppose you're one of the douchey types that does not replace plates because you do what you "d@mn well please."

2) Why I'm glad you asked! I'm the most interesting man in the world. And while I don't always do squats, when I do, I prefer to do them in the squat rack.

3) You deserve the 'Honerable Bloke Badge". This is awarded too the guy who has never glanced at a woman's *kitten*, congratulations!

Counter argument:

1) I always put my weights away. I was referring to the exercises one does in the squat rack.

2) You don't have a Dos XX in your hand so I'm doubting you're credibility

3) I do glance at women's *kitten*. I just have the good sense not to complain about women wearing yoga pants.

Since you got the Dos XX reference I suppose you're ok. Truth be told I cant drink that piss, I'll stick with the Carlsberg in my kegerator. And I only threw the underwear issue in here to ruffle feathers and keep the thread active. I'm off today and I have nothing better to do, and it is still to early to start drinking in Ohio.

Wait . . . . they sell Carlsberg in Ohio?
  • Cognito1025
    Options

Always. Well, almost always....
  • Cognito1025
    Options

1) Proper squat rack etiquette? Whoever got there first gets to use it doing whatever exercises they d@mn well please and aren't obligated to share with you especially when a trainer is being paid by the hour.

2) Who are you to criticise every exercise she's doing with her client?

3) What f@ck do you care if a girl has a "perpetual wedgie" at your gym or not? Maybe keep your eyes off her *kitten* in the first place?

I understand the frustration with someone taking a long time on the squat rack. But sometimes I need to remind myself that other people use the gym also.

I'll respond in order:

1) I suppose you're one of the douchey types that does not replace plates because you do what you "d@mn well please."

2) Why I'm glad you asked! I'm the most interesting man in the world. And while I don't always do squats, when I do, I prefer to do them in the squat rack.

3) You deserve the 'Honerable Bloke Badge". This is awarded too the guy who has never glanced at a woman's *kitten*, congratulations!

Counter argument:

1) I always put my weights away. I was referring to the exercises one does in the squat rack.

2) You don't have a Dos XX in your hand so I'm doubting you're credibility

3) I do glance at women's *kitten*. I just have the good sense not to complain about women wearing yoga pants.

Since you got the Dos XX reference I suppose you're ok. Truth be told I cant drink that piss, I'll stick with the Carlsberg in my kegerator. And I only threw the underwear issue in here to ruffle feathers and keep the thread active. I'm off today and I have nothing better to do, and it is still to early to start drinking in Ohio.

Wait . . . . they sell Carlsberg in Ohio?

Hell yes, $189.00 per half barrel = 103.252 Imperial pints. Winning.
  • Mariannewww
    Options
    Underwear protects against a snail trail situation.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

why do you need to use the rack for deadlifts? I really don't get that. There is no benefit to using the rack for them. or for pendlay rows or for OHP. I can see using it if you're pushing your Bench to the max without a spotter. And for squats. And good mornings. But i really see no reason to use the rack other than for safety.

For deadlifts: Because its a bloody pain in the *kitten* getting the plates on and off. If no-one is using it and no-one is waiting for it what business is it of anyone's?

Also, one of my warm up weights is less than 135lb and I am not about to use bumper plates if I can help it as it affects the stability of the bar and they are also a pain in the *kitten*.

Also, for rows...what about if your sets are less than 135lb also?

Plus, I am not about to risk trying to clean the bar up for OHP at the weight I do my working set.

Oh, but I do go commando so I have no wedgie issue.

That's funny. I had no idea people could OHP weights they couldn't clean.

I am willing to concede there may be a time that the squat rack is a good place to rack your OHP, but I still think the PT in the hypothetical was being a douche.

I *could* clean it, but I am not about to try an eff my back up with a weight heavier than I am comfortable doing so with.

I agree though, the the PT in the hypothetical was.

IMO, I can do what I want in the squat rack as long as I am not being a d!ck about it. If no-one is waiting, why does anyone care. If someone is waiting, I can either work in or load my deads outside the rack.

I agree. It's the if someone else is waiting part that changes how I feel about it.

Also, just sayin', you are one person whose opinion I hold in high regard so I will consider myself schooled....

I still don't care if OP thinks I'm an *kitten* :)
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Squat rack etiquette should be to let people work in if there's only one rack, and to use it only for [squatting, max bench press overhead press, and variations of deadlift that require a rack, like rack pulls.

Unfortunately, if there's a trainer in there doing Silly Bull****, you are usually SOL because they are often affiliated with the gym and feel that their training session is more important than your gym fees.

Re: tight pants and underwear - if you care enough to post about this online, you are not squatting heavy enough.
  • Cognito1025
    Options

What is this you speak of? Please elaborate.
  • carrieous
    Options

Always. Well, almost always....

as a full grown woman who really enjoys her work outs that is not practical, if you know what i mean without getting too graphic.
  • Cognito1025
    Options

Re: tight pants and underwear - if you care enough to post about this online, you are not squatting heavy enough.

Touché. You've got me there, I have to pass the time somehow in between sets though. :)
  • carrieous
    Options

THIS
  • Mariannewww
    Options
    Suffice it to say unsightly wedgies for the indiscriminate *kitten* ogler is the least of ones worries
  • Lisafrazier71
    Lisafrazier71 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Are you going to the gym to work out or stare at people's butts? Guess there is nothing else to do there if the squat rack is taken, huh? Good to know there is an underpants Nazi watching out for the spandex-wearers of the world, though :) Thanks!